Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2022, 09:25 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 2 (100%)
Ricoh 500G Compact Rangefinder Film Camera, Excellent Working Condition!

I have decided to part with the excellent little Ricoh 500G. It was my first re-entry to film after some time away from the medium. I purchased it from someone who performed a bit of a CLA and had it in fine working condition, which it still is. There are some paint scratches, but the body is intact without any dents or damage. The viewfinder is clean when looking through. There are some dust specks visible when looking at the viewfinder from the front of the camera, but I can't see them when looking through it. Rangefinder works and is aligned correctly. In the photo you can see a bit of the foam seal poking into the viewfinder opening - this was just me being lazy and not moving it out of the way. The 500G has an interesting design where the entire film door has foam light sealing around it. The foam is new. The camera takes an easily obtained lr44 battery which lasts forever (EDIT: the LR44 doesn't appear to be the same voltage as the original mercury battery, but in practice I have never felt my exposures were off with negative film. You can compensate if you want for the slightly higher voltage by dialing in a bit of compensation via the film speed). In order to stop the meter from being active when not using the camera, you can turn the shutter dial to bulb. Comes with the original pouch and strap as well as plastic lens cap.

I've taken many photos which I really enjoy with this camera. I'll find and post some later on. It's an often underlooked camera but the lens is very sharp and the function of the camera is rock solid. Let me know if you have any questions! Price includes fast shipping (probably First Class), USA shipping only unless you want to message me and we can work something out. Thanks for looking!

Last edited by AgentL; 05-09-2023 at 06:19 PM.
06-07-2022, 04:24 PM   #2

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
Exquisite.
06-08-2022, 05:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 94 (100%)
This model was my first adjustable lens 35mm camera. I bought it new in the early 1970's.

Chris
06-08-2022, 09:46 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
This model was my first adjustable lens 35mm camera. I bought it new in the early 1970's.

Chris
Things have come full circle now in the Ricoh GR IIIx... in a way. No rangefinder or even viewfinder, but the snap focus allows for much of the same hyperfocal and/or zone focus shooting that could be done back in the day with the 500G. Same 40mm field of view, same f2.8 light gathering ability. Kind of cool, I think. I'd keep it even if for no other reason than that, but I have to justify my purchase of "the Beast" K-1 Mark II to my much more practical better half, so it must go

06-08-2022, 11:17 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 21 (100%)
It looks really encouraging... I keep explaining to myself that I don't need another film camera
06-15-2022, 09:43 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Minor bump!
07-23-2022, 01:37 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Price drop! $125 with First Class shipping included.

---------- Post added 07-24-22 at 10:45 PM ----------

Edited to make mention of the battery not being the same voltage as the original mercury battery. In practice, I haven't found my exposures to be off. You can always add compensation via film speed dial or buy a wein cell battery for identical voltage.

08-12-2022, 04:12 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sale!

$100 out the door, shipping included, Fri-Mon the 12th through the 15th! Limited time offer!
08-31-2022, 08:42 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Price Drop

$100 all together, shipped First Class!