Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2008, 02:25 PM   #1

Zeiss Jena 75 1,5 Biotar M42

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Someone have this lens?

From Cameraquest

pics:

full

crop

full

crop

05-15-2008, 02:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
404* CARL ZEISS JENA BIOTAR 75/1.5 (1Q) (EXC++)*M42 - eBay (item 250246990960 end time May-18-08 07:16:12 PDT)

Ben
05-15-2008, 03:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Wow ... this looks to be an exceptional lens.
Colours are rich ... bokeh is really nice ... and skin tones look pretty damn good as well.
05-15-2008, 11:36 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by angelodn Quote
Someone have this lens?
Awesome pictures! Thank you for sharing.

I don't have the Biotar but I have his Russian brother, the Helios 40-2 75mm F/1.5. Here are a few pictures taken with mine:

Cheers!

Abbazz

05-16-2008, 12:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

That crop of the eye was awesome and clear as

cheers
05-16-2008, 08:17 PM   #6

does anyone know why the bokeh in many older lenses has a sort of radial character to it? like the second picture in Abbazz's post.

i've seen it in pictures with medium format nikkor lenses (from the 60s i think) and also 4x5 too.

btw, awesome lens you guys have. 75mm f/1.5 has an awesome ring to it! some of the pictures on mflenses.com for this lens are supposedly wide-open and they're darn sharp.
05-16-2008, 10:08 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by architorture Quote
does anyone know why the bokeh in many older lenses has a sort of radial character to it? like the second picture in Abbazz's post...
I don't know for sure, but I can say that it is similar to the way the newer Zeiss Distagon T*25 does bokeh, and it is intentionally lacking a 'floating' correctional element. Perhaps there is more to it, I had initially assumed it to be that with the Distagon. I'd also be curious to hear.

Nice pics too btw guys. Looks like I'll be keeping my eyes open for something in this range if I can ebay up a bargain.

Kelly.

05-17-2008, 01:04 AM   #8
Pentaxian

does anyone know why the bokeh in many older lenses has a sort of radial character to it? like the second picture in Abbazz's post.
There are two kinds of "swirly" bokeh. The first one looks like the "radial blur" effect in Photoshop, or like putting your sheet of photographic paper on a turntable below the enlarger. This effect is due to astigmatism. It is very apparent in this picture:

Picture linked from Jim Galli's website: Swirly_Bokeh

The second type of "swirly" bokeh affects the shape of out of focus highlights: the farther away they are from the frame center, the more elongated in shape they appear. This is also called "cat's eye effect" because the highlights near the border of the frame become shaped like an eye. This "bokeh" is due to optical vignetting (see here and here). It is visible in this picture:

Picture linked from PA van Walree's website: Bokeh

The cat's eye effect is also visible in this picture I took with a Canon 50mm F/0.95 lens:

Cheers!

Abbazz

Last edited by Abbazz; 05-19-2008 at 04:02 PM.
05-19-2008, 09:03 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Interesting examples Abazz. Really like your Canon image, seems magical. I love lenses that 'do' something unique. In your experience, what lenses have you used that we're the most likely to impart their character onto an image?

(For me, the Distagon T*25 was very unique... hope it comes back soon, and fixed...)
05-20-2008, 12:27 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
Awesome pictures! Thank you for sharing.

I don't have the Biotar but I have his Russian brother, the Helios 40-2 75mm F/1.5. Here are a few pictures taken with mine:

You wanna say 85mm, not 75mm
05-20-2008, 04:25 AM   #11

wow, Abbazz, thanks for the awesome reply. perfect dosage of information. the flower shot swirly bokeh is so intense!

on the link you gave it says it was taken with a 8x10, which matches what i associate with the effect - namely, larger than 35mm format. Is that maybe because large format lenses are often older (or at least older designs) and therefore less corrected than new ones?
05-20-2008, 05:59 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by angelodn Quote
You wanna say 85mm, not 75mm
Yes, my bad. Thanks for the correction.

Cheers!

Abbazz
05-20-2008, 06:49 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
Interesting examples Abazz. Really like your Canon image, seems magical.
Thanks for the kind words.

I love lenses that 'do' something unique. In your experience, what lenses have you used that we're the most likely to impart their character onto an image?
Many old lenses have an unique character. I particularly love triplet lenses, like the Meyer Trioplan 100/2.8. Heliar type lenses (5 element/3 group formula) -- which are in fact souped up triplets, with both the front and rear element replaced by achromatic doublets -- share many qualities of the triplets, while offering better resolution. I have quite a few Voigländer Heliar lenses on vintage folding medium or large format cameras. It is said that the late Emperor of Japan liked so much one of his portraits taken with a Heliar lens that he ordered that all his portraits should be taken with this lens.

The old Takumar 58/2.4 and SMC-Takumar (or SMC Pentax) 100/4 Macro lenses are about the only small format SLR lenses of classic Heliar formula. Both can deliver stunningly soft bokeh and pleasant colors. Here are a few pictures taken with the Takumar 58/2.4 lens at F/4.0. The highlights are superb thanks to an almost perfectly round diaphragm opening:

Note the clean bokeh in spite of the busy background:

Color rendering is great:

Of course, there are so many other wonderful old lenses for us to try and life is so short...

Cheers!

Last edited by Abbazz; 05-21-2008 at 02:50 AM.
05-20-2008, 07:05 AM   #14
Pentaxian

wow, Abbazz, thanks for the awesome reply. perfect dosage of information. the flower shot swirly bokeh is so intense!
Thanks for the compliment. The flower shot is not mine. It was shot by Jim Galli, a very talented large format photographer. Check these stunning pictures made with a 8x10 large format camera, these are about the very best portraits I have ever seen.

on the link you gave it says it was taken with a 8x10, which matches what i associate with the effect - namely, larger than 35mm format. Is that maybe because large format lenses are often older (or at least older designs) and therefore less corrected than new ones?
The "normal" lens on a 8x10 camera is something like 300mm. Of course, a portrait taken at 1,5m with a 300mm lens will have a lot more "character" than a picture taken at the same distance with a 30mm lens on a crop format DSLR, although both will exhibit the same field of view and perspective...

Cheers!

Abbazz
05-21-2008, 06:46 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I love lenses that 'do' something unique. In your experience, what lenses have you used that we're the most likely to impart their character onto an image?
There are also two Leica rangefinder lenses that are known to add some magic to the pictures, the Summar and the Summitar 50/2. Unfortunately, neither will fit on a Pentax DSLR, except for close up shooting. Anyway, here are some superb pictures taken with the Summitar:

Picture linked from Marc-A's Flickr photostream.

Picture linked from Gabriel M.A.'s Flickr photostream.

And now two taken with the Summar:

Picture linked from decopon's Flickr photostream.

Picture linked from Speaking Cake's Flickr photostream.

Cheers!

Abbazz