Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2008, 07:00 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by platinum Quote
can you tell me about a Lens Hood for pentax 50mm?

rubber? metal? flower?
I second this question. Any good suggestions? This thread has made me want this lens so much I just put my SMC-A 50mm 1.7 up on ebay. I figure I might as well order a hood for it at the same time I place an order for it. So any recommendations would be most appreciated.

05-29-2008, 11:17 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Pentax made two types of lens hoods for the 50mm standard lens, a round plastic hood and a rectangular plastic hood. They were designed when the lenses were used for film. With the current 1.5x crop factor where the 50mm lens is now an equivalent 75mm on film, one can go for a slightly deeper hood without the risk of vignetting.

The Pentax rectangular hood is a clip-on design. It is trick looking but not so practical as one can't use a lens cap over it. It also is overpriced for essentially something made of plastic, imo.

The Pentax screw-in round plastic hood is more practical because it is possible to use a clip-on lens cap (52mm) over it. It is also not cheap. There are of course 3rd party lens round hoods that are made of metal or plastic that offers similar function as well.

Last edited by creampuff; 05-29-2008 at 11:22 PM.
05-30-2008, 05:10 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Soooo cheap and soooooo good.
05-30-2008, 06:08 AM   #49

I just ordered a fa 50 1.4! I am excited to get it! I have felt so "out of the club" for not having one... Now I'll fit right in!!

05-30-2008, 06:19 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Stiiiiiiiiiill saving up for mine.
05-30-2008, 02:09 PM   #51
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
I second this question. Any good suggestions? This thread has made me want this lens so much I just put my SMC-A 50mm 1.7 up on ebay. I figure I might as well order a hood for it at the same time I place an order for it. So any recommendations would be most appreciated.
I just bought Marumi's lens hood (rubber) for my FA 50/1.4 at 10,50 euros (about USD16). I don't have much experience of it yet since it arrived today, but I can't think any reason why it wouldn't work ok.

And that lens, it's best I've ever used.
05-30-2008, 07:58 PM   #52
Veteran Member

For those not aware, the FA 50 1.4 has a very similar element grouping design to the FA 77 limited - which is why it's so sharp stopped down and has such utterly perfect bokeh at larger apetures ---> Two Brothers and a Cousin - the A* 85/1.4, FA 77, and FA* 85/1.4: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

05-31-2008, 02:34 AM   #53
Forum Member

Original Poster
Wow! I should have known better than to start a post about a 50mm lens, it's obviously a very popular length. Wasn't expecting 4 pages of posts next time I looked at this, that's for sure.

To answer some questions, yes I did see the reviews, and I knew people liked it. I just couldn't believe it was so good at this price point, it's unreal! You really do have to hold it in your hand, mount it on your camera, and take a few shots to appreciate what it is- a lens that's (IMO) underpriced as far as it's build quality and IQ is concerned, is sharp as a needle when stopped down, and has wonderful color rendition (don't know what else to call it!).

I'm head over heels for it, to say the least. I'm so glad people decided to go and buy it after they read what I and others said about it-you won't be let down, for sure! I haven't taken it off for the past week out here at sea, and although I've gotten some great shots with it, I'm unfortunately unable to share them with you all until I return home for 2 reasons: 1- internet on the boat is painfully slow, and I'm afraid uploading a 12 meg file is out of the question. 2- apparently, the old Pentax photo viewer program won't process photos from my new K200D (yes, I also got a new body to replace the *ist; another clear winner in my book), and my stupid a$$ left the new software at home inside the K200 box!!!

Ah well, I'll fix something up when I get back.
Cheers from the USS Stennis!
05-31-2008, 06:47 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Pentax made two types of lens hoods for the 50mm standard lens, a round plastic hood and a rectangular plastic hood. They were designed when the lenses were used for film. With the current 1.5x crop factor where the 50mm lens is now an equivalent 75mm on film, one can go for a slightly deeper hood without the risk of vignetting.

The Pentax rectangular hood is a clip-on design. It is trick looking but not so practical as one can't use a lens cap over it. It also is overpriced for essentially something made of plastic, imo.

The Pentax screw-in round plastic hood is more practical because it is possible to use a clip-on lens cap (52mm) over it. It is also not cheap. There are of course 3rd party lens round hoods that are made of metal or plastic that offers similar function as well.

This multi-purpose Hoya hood might be the ticket. Price isn't bad either.

Hoya Multi-Angle Hoods
05-31-2008, 07:29 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rickster Quote
This multi-purpose Hoya hood might be the ticket. Price isn't bad either.
Hoya Multi-Angle Hoods
Had several of the ones you've posted. Like all rubber hoods, the rubber will eventually degrade over time and it collapses all too easily at the folds, especially when putting it in the bag. Again one can't use a lens cap with it. In this regard, the circular plastic or metal ones offer better physical protection and are a little more durable. Lots to choose from from eBay but the price on the link is reasonable enough.
05-31-2008, 07:35 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Had several of the ones you've posted. Like all rubber hoods, the rubber will eventually degrade over time and it collapses all too easily at the folds, especially when putting it in the bag. Again one can't use a lens cap with it. In this regard, the circular plastic or metal ones offer better physical protection and are a little more durable. Lots to choose from from eBay but the price on the link is reasonable enough.
I still have one of these from the 80's ... wrong thread size for the FA50 though. It has an internal thread so you can add a polarizer or a lens cap. To keep the rubber fresh as new rub a bit of brake fluid on it every 6 months to a year depending on your climate. (trick I learned from a pool halL owner who used this technique to keep 50+ year old rubber bumpers on pool tables good as new)
06-02-2008, 10:45 AM   #57

I just won on ebay an asahi pentax rubber 49mm collapsible hood with threads for my 50mm f1.4 that is in the mail to me as we speak. I can't wait to try the combination out!
06-03-2008, 04:59 PM   #58
Veteran Member

I'm surprised it took you so long! When I decided to buy into Pentax and get a K10D, the only thing that was crystal clear was that I was ordering the FA 50mm with it. Throughout all my weeks of research on various forums (of different camera brands) the one thing that stood out was "the Pentax FA 50mm f/1.4 is a fantastic lens". Really, where have you been all these years!? Was it cold in your cave?

And it's not just for portraits!

Wind Tunnel
06-04-2008, 01:37 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by miniman82 Quote
(snip) 2- apparently, the old Pentax photo viewer program won't process photos from my new K200D (yes, I also got a new body to replace the *ist; another clear winner in my book), and my stupid a$$ left the new software at home inside the K200 box!!!

Ah well, I'll fix something up when I get back.
Cheers from the USS Stennis!
I think you can now download the actual Pentax photobrowser 3.51 (newest update) without having the CD. That's a change from previous versions. If not that, you may be able to try Picasa to hold you over until you're home.

Be safe, and take some good shots.
06-05-2008, 05:22 PM   #60
Veteran Member

My FA 50 1.4 just arrived today!

The build quality is far better then I was expecting.

It's sharp. It's shiny. and it's new.

Happy I finally got off my butt and bought it.

Now to try and get out to shoots some frames before it gets dark.