Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2010, 03:17 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PP Challenge #23- WINNER!!

PP Challenge #23

First of all, I would like to thank you all for your participation. It's always fun to see what somebody else can do with My images. I may offer up a few more just to see what people do, without a challenge, just for fun.

I think I mentioned that the photo was taken with a Sears 55mm f1.4 lens. The photo was taken on one of those harsh sun days, probably at the worse hour of the day. One of the things I like about this old glass is the old slide-like quality they give photos. I still like to drag out the projector and screen and flip through them.

Anyway, here we go.. In reverse order:

yeatzee: I kind of like the duotone look you gave it. Given how over saturated the day made the photo look, you did a nice job of toning things down and making it look more like a grave yard, or at least that's what I see.

landscaped1: When I first saw yours I thought there was a person on the steps I had missed noticing before. Turns out it's just another Angel statue on the other side of the steps. I like your choice of Sepia toniing. Nicely done.

dandog: I had to do a triple take on yours. One of my other 'hobbies' is model railroading and photographing it. In that type of photography the goal is to maximize DOF while in real life the goal is to minimize it (sometimes). Because the camera is so close to the model structures, there are only a few inches of DOF to play with. Your photo looks like it could have been taken on a model layout or diorama of some sort. I don't know if that's what you were after but still, Very Cool.

Kryosphinx: Interesting work. It looks to me like color faded ektachrome slide. I like that you left a lot of the shading on the building in tact.

jmschrei: Wizard or not, I think you did a fine job. Thank you for your entry.

twokatmew: I like that you left the framing in tact. While it may not seem like it to many I actually did try to frame this shot with the trees on the left and on the right and the sky and water top-bottom. I don't mind that people cropped them out though.

ramseybuckeye: Interesting. I like what you did with the building and that you filled in the trees. Kind of a painted look to it. When I first looked at it though I couldn't quite put my finger on something. I think the effort would have been that much better if you'd cropped out some of the water. The reflection of the original ground profile is still in tact. Good effort otherwise.

rustynail925: Nice job on the toning. Didn't blow anything out in the photo (that wasn't already blown out). Looks like an oldish type print that's lost a lot of it's color.

icywarm: I'm thinking my old Mamiya C330 ProS with a 180mm lens would have given me that particular framing. You've had me shopping on ebay for a replacement of that camera since you posted this photo. Don't see too many people going to the square 6x6 type format anymore. Nice job!

ozlizard: I've always wanted to take a tripod and set it up somewhere in this cemetery and do some HDR photos. You've given me the inspiration to get off my rear and go do it. Now I just have to find the time. Good work!

xs400: I wasn't sure which of yours to choose but I picked the Tintype photo. All I can really say is I like the feel of the image.

Tamia: Sometimes keeping it simple is the way to go. Nice job.

eccs19: You have taken us from mid day sun to near sunset. I didn't know the roof was that rusty looking. Nice take on the photo.

EricT: This one most gave me the feel of looking at old slides, something I mentioned earlier I enjoy doing very much. Nice work..

Well, there it is. I'm no photo critic and can only base my decision on the image that pops out the most to me for a specific reason. You all did a fine job and I like each for stated (or unstated) reasons. The Winner however,

Is...

dandog

for taking me back to some of my early attempts at Model Rail photography. It isn't a spectacularly great image, there was just something about it that spoke to me and took me back close to 30 years in my life.

You're turn Dog.. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Thank you once again everyone, rep points to all of you (some will come tomorrow as I've hit my limit for the day in this challenge).

Last edited by JeffJS; 05-10-2010 at 05:39 AM.
05-08-2010, 03:44 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Wow, didn't know it was over already. That's what I get for going out yesterday, haha.

Congrats, dandog! This was my favorite, as well.

By the way, in the winner's thread, could we start including a link to the contest?
05-08-2010, 04:04 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Perrumpo Quote
Wow, didn't know it was over already. That's what I get for going out yesterday, haha.

Congrats, dandog! This was my favorite, as well.

By the way, in the winner's thread, could we start including a link to the contest?
Good idea. Done.

05-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nicely done dandog. Well deserved first place.

05-08-2010, 05:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Well done dandog, that was a stand out entry with that "tilt shift" look! Well done to all the participants and to Jeff for a great challenge!
05-08-2010, 09:45 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done dandog, my favorite too. Give us another good challenge, these are a lot of fun!. Thanks, Jeff!
05-09-2010, 05:49 AM   #7
Inactive Account

aww shucks!my first win.....muma would be proud lol
it was a hard image to work with actually.loved the challenge!thanks all.

i got something a little different in mind for the next challenge.
im gonna put up a few images,see what sort of hdr skills you guys got.
or just use one, whateva!

05-09-2010, 10:50 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great job, Dandog! Thanks for a fun challenge, Jeff.
05-10-2010, 05:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks for the comments, Jeff, and congrats dandog!
05-10-2010, 01:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Congrats Dandog! And thanks Jeff, for hosting.

Might I make a suggestion though? I always subscribe to these challenge threads, but the winners are posted in different threads. That makes it kind of difficult to find the corresponding winner thread if I don't read the forum daily.... Anyway, my suggestion is that the judge post a link to the winner thread in the submissions thread. That way we could easily find the winners by checking our "subscribed threads." It would be especially helpful when viewing archives and not having to search, search, search.

I suppose there's a better place to post this suggestion, just don't know where it is....
05-10-2010, 02:25 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Good Idea. Done. I actually thought about doing that but it slipped my mind.