09-30-2016, 06:08 AM   #301
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
just walking along and

just walking over a small bridge and saw this on the wooden rail

K 3 + HD PENTAX-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR

Topeka Zoological Park, Topeka KS

wondering about apparent damage to wings, natural variation or did something take a nip?

pictures cropped

can anyone identify, I think it is some type of butterfly based on shape of antennae (not feathery)? note in the first photo and last photo the feeding tube tucked up

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-30-2016 at 06:14 AM. Reason: added last photo
09-30-2016, 06:38 AM   #302
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
red admiral butterfly, an old one
10-01-2016, 03:27 AM   #303
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
natural variation or did something take a nip?
As already pointed out, it's a Red Admiral. It's not uncommon for butterflies to sustain wing damage. It could be from some predator, or it could just be from flying through vegetation, etc. If the wings look crinkled or otherwise malformed, it's because the wings didn't fully extend when the butterfly emerged from its chrysalis.

I've seen butterflies with extensive wing damage that seem to be able to get along just fine. Obviously, they won't be able to fly at peak efficiency, but I suspect that nature had "over-engineered" their wings, and they can function just fine with significant damage. In fact, some species have markings on their wings, and tails that mimic false heads. It appears that these evolved to trick predators into striking at the tails rather than the heads, and the wings break to let the butterfly escape. We see these butterflies with chunks of their wings missing fairly often, and tests have been conducted that indicate the strategy works extremely well for certain predators.

Those of us who photograph butterflies on a regular basis tend not to use photos of damaged specimens, but that doesn't mean we don't have plenty of them.

Cheers, Rick
10-01-2016, 04:32 AM   #304
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arkav Quote
As already pointed out, it's a Red Admiral. It's not uncommon for butterflies to sustain wing damage. It could be from some predator, or it could just be from flying through vegetation, etc. If the wings look crinkled or otherwise malformed, it's because the wings didn't fully extend when the butterfly emerged from its chrysalis.

I've seen butterflies with extensive wing damage that seem to be able to get along just fine. Obviously, they won't be able to fly at peak efficiency, but I suspect that nature had "over-engineered" their wings, and they can function just fine with significant damage. In fact, some species have markings on their wings, and tails that mimic false heads. It appears that these evolved to trick predators into striking at the tails rather than the heads, and the wings break to let the butterfly escape. We see these butterflies with chunks of their wings missing fairly often, and tests have been conducted that indicate the strategy works extremely well for certain predators.

Those of us who photograph butterflies on a regular basis tend not to use photos of damaged specimens, but that doesn't mean we don't have plenty of them.

Cheers, Rick
thanks for the helpful info folks.

I was familiar with the insects and other animals and fish that use "fake eyes" for various purposes but I never put it together with butterflies (moths, yes, but butterflies no, don't know why).

Personally, I'm in the "real nature" camp. in other words, I take nature as I see and find it. If there is a "deformity", then there is a deformity.

This doesn't mean that others make the wrong choice, my goal is not to find the perfect example and document. If it was, I would agree with the idea of not posting "reality"

I love and am jealous of others' skills in photography, keep posting please

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-01-2016 at 04:40 AM.
10-19-2016, 07:21 AM   #305
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

need help iding

I got another one for folks to help me id.

you can clearly see the different sets of wings, one pair horizontal, the other pair vertical

K 3 + Tamron AF 70-300mm F4-5.6 LD Macro 1:2 + 1.4x converter
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
10-19-2016, 08:04 AM - 3 Likes   #306
Pentaxian

One from recently...

Some from not so recently

10-19-2016, 08:13 AM   #307
Veteran Member

you can clearly see the different sets of wings, one pair horizontal, the other pair vertical
Yes, all butterflies ( and moths ) have 2 sets of wings. The Grass Skippers tend to strike this characteristic pose with the forewings angled upwards. It's sometimes referred to as the "jet fighter" pose.

It would help if I could see the underside of the hind wings - the Grass skippers can often be identified based on the pattern on the underside of the hindwings.

Based solely on the photos provided, and taking your location and time of year into account, my best guess is that this is a male Sachem:

Sachem - Butterflies of Ontario

Cheers, Rick

10-19-2016, 11:30 AM   #308
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

thanks Rick for the info

as far as a photo showing the underneath of the wing, well, here is the best I can do and I believe that it won't be of help
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
10-19-2016, 11:44 AM   #309
Veteran Member

as far as a photo showing the underneath of the wing, well, here is the best I can do and I believe that it won't be of help
No, at that extreme angle.
10-19-2016, 11:48 AM   #310
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

ok

it does kinda remind me of a F 15 or F 18

http://www.wow.com/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_F-15_Eagle?s_chn=14&s_pt=source2&v_t=content

F 18 Tomcat - Yahoo Search Results Yahoo Image Search Results
10-31-2016, 06:18 PM - 3 Likes   #311
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

One I got today while shooting the birds in the backyard. Perched on a Zinnia that survived the hurricane.

Gulf Fritillary

11-01-2016, 03:10 AM - 1 Like   #312
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some I got yesterday

11-15-2016, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #313
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Recent pictures from my back yard

11-16-2016, 08:40 PM - 1 Like   #314
Bud
Veteran Member

From earlier this year... an Eastern Black Swallowtail ovipositing eggs on a fennel plant.

---------- Post added 11-16-16 at 11:43 PM ----------

A Monarch feeding on the blooms of Tropical Milkweed

---------- Post added 11-16-16 at 11:44 PM ----------

Hummingbird Clearwing Moth

01-31-2017, 09:45 AM   #315
Veteran Member

Here is one of mine. Handheld. Too big to fit the frame at macro magnification, so it had to be bigger than the APSC sensor lol

Big green