Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2010, 01:54 PM   #46
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A few from yesterday "Swallowtails & Stargazers".

07-12-2010, 02:32 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Another one from my Niagara Falls trip. Shame of the background, but what can one do?

07-14-2010, 08:08 AM   #48
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Another from my backyard. They seem to love my Zinnias. Sorry for the noisy background. I have to get a noise reducing software.

Zebra:

Same Zebra, diffferent view. Its head isn't quite as sharp as I'd like but what can you do.

Again, same Butterfly, the Zebra.

07-14-2010, 12:09 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Sorry for the noisy background. I have to get a noise reducing software.
Those look awfully noisy for ISO 400. Were they extremely under-exposed or something? I don't get noise like that on my K100D even at ISO 1600.

Pretty butterflies, though!

07-14-2010, 12:43 PM   #50
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

yes, way under exposed. I usually shoot at ISO 800 but that day I had been shooting at ISO400 because I thought it would remedy the noise I get from ISO800 in low light. This was shot in the morning, but shaded as the sun doesn't shine behind my house until afternoon. I've not tried ISO1600 for low light shots.
07-14-2010, 10:14 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
A few from yesterday "Swallowtails & Stargazers".
Wow, VaughnA. Nice trio.
No.2 looks like out this world.
Simply mesmerizing.
07-15-2010, 05:46 AM   #52
Veteran Member

yes, way under exposed. I usually shoot at ISO 800 but that day I had been shooting at ISO400 because I thought it would remedy the noise I get from ISO800 in low light. This was shot in the morning, but shaded as the sun doesn't shine behind my house until afternoon. I've not tried ISO1600 for low light shots.
I'd try higher ISO and avoid underexposing - I think you'd get a lot less noise. It may also have something to do with how you're resizing and/or sharpening your photos. I've occasionally introduced more noise during pp, and had to do things a little differently to avoid it. Are you shooting RAW? That gives you a lot more headroom to correct underexposure.

Julie

07-16-2010, 12:56 AM   #53
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I always shoot RAW. And usually don't sharpen much. I use PSE 5, for the RAW files, and FastStone Image Viewer for making the jpegs. And I shoot manual everything. Sharpening is done in PSE, with settings at 85%, Range at 1.5, and Threshold at 3.

I'll try IS01600 tomorrow and see how that pans out.
07-16-2010, 08:15 AM   #54
Veteran Member

I always shoot RAW. And usually don't sharpen much. I use PSE 5, for the RAW files, and FastStone Image Viewer for making the jpegs. And I shoot manual everything. Sharpening is done in PSE, with settings at 85%, Range at 1.5, and Threshold at 3.

I'll try IS01600 tomorrow and see how that pans out.
I know nothing about FastStone, but all the rest sounds reasonable. I hope bumping the ISO helps! I can't imagine why your images would be so noisy.
07-16-2010, 09:06 AM   #55
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

FastStone is great little piece of software that's free. It's an image editor but it does a lot more. I've used it for a year now and love how easy it is to use. You probably have more editors than you need but you can check it out here.

And here are a couple I took this morning. I used ISO800 @f8, 1/500s. I think it shutter speed was a bit low because he/she was fluttering their wings and the images appear a bit soft. Course it could also be my glasses; I need to replace them.

Tiger Swallowtail:

Another view:

07-16-2010, 11:13 AM   #56
Veteran Member

FastStone is great little piece of software that's free. It's an image editor but it does a lot more. I've used it for a year now and love how easy it is to use. You probably have more editors than you need but you can check it out here.
Thanks for the info, I'll check it out - although I am pretty happy with Adobe CS3. Love those swallowtails!
07-16-2010, 01:02 PM   #57

Very hot day and everyone was swimming in my sisters pool, but I was shooting butterflies.

This moth was hanging out with the big boys

Last edited by sakle2k; 07-16-2010 at 01:15 PM.
07-16-2010, 04:26 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Tamia - your butterfly is a type of Skipper, they always sit with wings the way yours is so it looks like 4 separate wings. Many Skippers are very drab with few markings on the underwings, which is all you see when they sit. The Roadside Skipper is one, plain brown wings like yours. Sorry but I don't know which Skipper it is. I see them a lot, have a few pics, I'll post one of them.

Here's my Skipper, I don't know which one it is either, they're not easy to identify

This one is a Spicebush Swallowtail in my sister's back yard.

Last is an Easter Tiger Swallowtail on an old unused road at Lake Sam Rayburn in East Texas. I've tried to get shots of this one all summer, finally one sat still and let me shoot away...

The Swallowtails were both shot last week, with my Makinon 135mm at ISO 200, the skipper was also at ISO 200 with the Pentax 50mm, and also a week ago in Texas.

Click the pictures to see full size images
07-17-2010, 02:28 AM   #59
Pentaxian

Another skipper

Vivitar K28 close focus - focus assited by live view on K20D

This was with a reversed 50mm Super Takumar lens on a Canon digicam)

*istDL2 with DA16-45
07-17-2010, 03:07 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Arjay, those are some nice shots. Nice & sharp. Well done.