Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 819 Likes Search this Thread
07-07-2010, 11:16 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Butterflies and Moths

Butterflies and Moths as a subject. It's funny how they will sometimes stand still for you, and other times they barely land, Let's see what you've got.

I'll start the thread with an odd looking moth my wife found a couple weeks ago.
Name:  Moth20100624_0010.jpg
Views: 5182
Size:  83.5 KB

07-08-2010, 03:58 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's one perched on a twig

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-08-2010, 04:28 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good idea, Tom. I don't know the ID of this pretty butterfly:

07-08-2010, 05:22 AM   #4

Here is one I shot at the White River Gardens in Indianapolis.

Attached Images

07-08-2010, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Cool idea Tom. Thanks.

Here's a few from me taken this summer in my backyard.

Gulf Fritillary

Monarch

Eastern Yellow Swallowtail:

Hope you all enjoy!!
07-08-2010, 06:42 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Here's one perched on a twig
Very nice Adam, is that one that is has different colors on the bottom of the wings? The background is very complentary.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
Good idea, Tom. I don't know the ID of this pretty butterfly:
I can probably ID one kind of butterfly, maybe we'll get an expert to check in and ID them for us. It's a great shot, the water beads are a nice bonus!

QuoteOriginally posted by ottersden Quote
Here is one I shot at the White River Gardens in Indianapolis.
Very pretty shot with the background and foreground. Looks like he's posing for you.
07-08-2010, 06:48 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote

Here's a few from me taken this summer in my backyard.
Well done Mar, you may be our expert, if you can ID butterflies as well as you photograph them we'll have no trouble. The monarch is the one I can identify!

07-08-2010, 06:51 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This was taken on a trail in Yellowstone.
Name:  Butterfly20100613_0423.jpg
Views: 5061
Size:  53.7 KB
07-08-2010, 07:53 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Tom, I cheat. I have two sites that help me identify butterflies and moths. I checked both of my sites but can't find a name for your first moth and your last butterfly. Neither can I ID Tamia's. Although, I think her butterfly is actually a moth. Also, butterflies in gardens/zoos, can come from anywhere in the world, making it doubly hard to identify them.

Last edited by photolady95; 07-08-2010 at 10:21 AM.
07-08-2010, 08:06 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Tom, I cheat. I have two sites that help me identify butterflies and moths. I checked both of my sites but can't find a name for your first moth and your last butterfly. Neither can I ID Tamia's. Althouh, I think her butterfly is actually a moth. Also, butterflies in gardens/zoos, can come from anywhere in the world, making it doubly hard to identify them.
Doing research and using knowledge isn't cheating in my book! It's being smart.
07-08-2010, 10:02 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
This was taken on a trail in Yellowstone.
Attachment 65888
It's a mourning cloak. Around here, in central Pennsylvania, they're among the earliest butterflies one sees in the spring (having overwintered in a crevice, generally).
07-08-2010, 10:14 AM   #12

My favorite field guide for identifying butterflies is Butterflies through Binoculars: The East, by Jeffrey Glassberg.

And here are a two local butterflies and a moth.

The first is a red admiral, for which we've had a fair number this spring (K20D with the DA 55-300mm).

The second is a hummingbird moth (with translucent wings), a fair-size moth that acts like a hummingbird (fast wingbeat, hover stationary, and sipping nectar) and taken with the *1st D with the A* 200mm macro lens)

The third photo is a tiny butterfly, a gray hairstreak (about the size of a US nickle). I didn't know about the orange "eyes" until I looked at the photo, also taken with the *1st D and the 200mm macro.
Attached Images

07-08-2010, 10:54 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tom, I cheat. I have two sites that help me identify butterflies and moths. I checked both of my sites but can't find a name for your first moth and your last butterfly. Neither can I ID Tamia's. Although, I think her butterfly is actually a moth. Also, butterflies in gardens/zoos, can come from anywhere in the world, making it doubly hard to identify them.
That's not cheating, it's resourcefulness!

I DID wonder if mine was a butterfly or moth, but those smooth antennae convinced me it was a butterfly. So, I googled and found this site which is aimed at kids, I think, and it has a good chart about the distinctions between the two. Still haven't IDed my critter, though.

PS- Great photos, everyone. Maybe I'll learn some new IDs here.
07-08-2010, 11:08 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I knew there were specific info one needs to consider on researching either species. Fuzzy bodies usually indicate Moth. But there are some Butterflies that have hair on their feet. These are called obviously Brush footed butterflies. But danged if I can distinquish where the brush foots come into play. I guess one would need a stronge macro lens to see the brush-footed part.
07-08-2010, 11:26 AM   #15

I knew there were specific info one needs to consider on researching either species. Fuzzy bodies usually indicate Moth. But there are some Butterflies that have hair on their feet. These are called obviously Brush footed butterflies. But danged if I can distinquish where the brush foots come into play. I guess one would need a stronge macro lens to see the brush-footed part.
According to Butterflies through Binoculars, brushfoots are a family that includes everything from fritillaries to monarchs; however, also according to the book, some consider monarchs a separate family.

Also: "Called brushfoots because of the greatly reduced male forelegs." I don't know whether fuzzy legs enter into it.

I find the hairy antenna to be the easiest distinction between moths and butterflies (but not always valid).