Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 819 Likes Search this Thread
07-07-2018, 11:14 PM   #376
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

forgot to add this one...I really struggled trying to catch focus with these tiny moths. Too much coffee (shakes) ?....too much wine the night before(shakes) ? or just too dang tiny?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
07-08-2018, 06:31 AM - 4 Likes   #377
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sharing an old capture of a butterfly...

Taken with the Pentax K-3 + Sigma EX 180mm F3.5 APO Macro Lens

What's interesting about this one is that I have been contacted by the Royal Alberta Museum : Royal Alberta Museum, by the assistant Curator of Invertebrate Zoology because they'd like to use this photo to setup a permanent exhibit about flower pollinisation in the Natural History gallery of the Royal Alberta Museum in Edmonton, Alberta this year. Still waiting to see what it would look like...

Argynne cybèle / Great Spangled Fritillary [Speyeria cybele]
07-08-2018, 06:32 AM   #378
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Knock Quote
A few tiny white moths hanging out on my jasmine vine. K70 with tam 90.
Hi, your photo is great, but I am sorry to tell you that this looks more like a specimen of a planthopper, from the Homoptera Order, (Butterflies and Moths are from the Lepidoptera Order FYI)
07-08-2018, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #379
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
Hi, your photo is great, but I am sorry to tell you that this looks more like a specimen of a planthopper, from the Homoptera Order, (Butterflies and Moths are from the Lepidoptera Order FYI)
Thanks for the correction--no wonder I didn't find anything when I searched on moths. I'm grateful for the many intelligent folks here on PF!

07-09-2018, 01:49 AM   #380
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A tiny fella
07-09-2018, 05:33 AM   #381
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What's interesting about this one is that I have been contacted by the Royal Alberta Museum : Royal Alberta Museum, by the assistant Curator of Invertebrate Zoology because they'd like to use this photo to setup a permanent exhibit about flower pollinisation in the Natural History gallery of the Royal Alberta Museum in Edmonton, Alberta this year. Still waiting to see what it would look like...
Congratulations, that's well-deserved recognition for this excellent image. The symmetry of it is really striking, and sets it apart from most such photos.
07-09-2018, 06:52 AM   #382
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well done Sylvain - certainly an arresting image that would convey a good deal as part of the exhibit.

07-09-2018, 08:03 AM   #383
Pentaxian

June 19, 2015, I was walking into the Algonquin Park visitors centre, the railings for some reason were covered with moths. Even park staff was coming out for pictures. It only happened once, I decided I needed to go back and find the images for this thread.

07-09-2018, 08:34 AM   #384
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That Polyphemus is amazing! I will be taking a UV lamp for our stay up north. Placed against a white cotton sheet or towel it should attract some moths. Hopefully I will have a few to post. I have a good moth book but identifying them is still really hard.
07-09-2018, 09:14 AM   #385
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
Well done Sylvain - certainly an arresting image that would convey a good deal as part of the exhibit.
Thanks! I can't wait to see what they will do exactly... I think it was expected last spring... I need to contact the guy to ask for an update ! I'd like to go there after it will be done.. combined with a trip to Vancouver Island... Nice place for photography!

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Congratulations, that's well-deserved recognition for this excellent image. The symmetry of it is really striking, and sets it apart from most such photos.
Thanks! I have to admit I adjusted the crop angle a bit in PP...

QuoteOriginally posted by Knock Quote
Thanks for the correction--no wonder I didn't find anything when I searched on moths. I'm grateful for the many intelligent folks here on PF!
No problema! My pleasure... I used to be very active in Entomology for more than 15 years (almost 20yrs ago).
I can't remember all the names etc, but I can quickly go to the Order level by images... after a quick search I found the name... It's like a "deformation professionnelle" (not sure how to translate that... maybe "occupational bias"? anyway...) that I have... I always love insects even if I do not work in that domain at all... One of my goals if to experiment micro-macro photos with them, to reveals all the details the eyes can't see... It's a big universe to discover !

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
That Polyphemus is amazing! I will be taking a UV lamp for our stay up north. Placed against a white cotton sheet or towel it should attract some moths. Hopefully I will have a few to post. I have a good moth book but identifying them is still really hard.
Hi, you mean the Hyalophora ceropia moth ? (can't see a Polyphemus in Norm's photo.. (oups!)
07-09-2018, 09:38 AM   #386
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi, you mean the Hyalophora ceropia moth ? (can't see a Polyphemus in Norm's photo.. (oups!)
As I said, I have problems with moth I.D.! Yes, it was the cecropia.
07-09-2018, 10:40 AM   #387
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

from the butterfly exhibit at the Henry Doorly Zoo

[ although you are not timed, you must be allowed in and out ( maximum of 8 in a group ) of the exhibit by staff who restrict food and liquids and you must inspect yourself on the way out by use of mirrors ]

K 3 II + Smc PENTAX-DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-09-2018 at 10:46 AM.
07-09-2018, 11:38 AM   #388
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

07-10-2018, 07:03 AM   #389
Pentaxian

I found some older images (K-5 and DA*60-250 from the Butterfly Conservation Exhibit in Niagara falls. It's hard to believe I never made it back after I got better equipment. The DA* 200 breathes much less than the 60-250 and with the 1.4 TC would have provided better magnification.

These could take awhile.

Last edited by normhead; 07-10-2018 at 07:20 AM.
07-11-2018, 05:52 AM   #390
Site Supporter
Site Supporter