Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2010, 04:48 AM   #181
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dry Spell ideas:

I spent last night brainstorming up a list of places to go which I will keep in my back pocket if I run out of ideas. Here's some of my ideas if you get stuck:

Feel free to add to the list if you like...after all we are here to help each other out with our addiction!

-Get out and just go for for a walk...see something...shoot it..if you see more than one thing make a mental note for another day or take a shot and then go back the next day and reshoot it. I did that and it worked quite nicely.
-Go to places you have already been to in past photography trips and reshoot and compose using the one lens. You may see something completely different this time.
-Get out kitchen equipment or assorted nick nacks and arrange them near a window for some side lighting and see what you come up with.
-Go out at night and try some night photography.
-Go out to the industrial area of town (or the country for that matter) and look for shots...this is one I am going to do...I am going to try at least one trainyard shot for sure. I often head out to the industrial part of town when I need inspiration...there is always something interesting to photograph out there.

09-04-2010, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #182

Photos: Albums
Question do you fail the challenge if you buy a new Lens in September ?
09-04-2010, 12:08 PM   #183
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Now wedgetail that's not in the spirit of the challenge

Personally, this challenge is throwing lenses into the mix that I'd never have contemplated beforehand...Lensbaby and FE being great cases-in-point. I know, I know, this don't sound like the therapy's working. But I've resolved to keep well away from Paypal, focused on the DA35 and a keen eye on how these portfolios unfold.

Then again maybe buying my one favourite lens from this challenge, in October, is a good reward if I can make it through the whole month.....
09-04-2010, 12:28 PM   #184
Forum Member

I definitely have LBA and CBA, but after reading the entire thread, I discover I also have CRS. What were we talking about?

09-04-2010, 12:33 PM   #185
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here's another tip if you don't know what to shoot. Check out the daily shoot there is a new photo assignment every day.
09-04-2010, 01:24 PM   #186
axl
Inactive Account

Day #4 is up from me... some really nice shots so far. Keep it up guys!!!
09-04-2010, 06:13 PM   #187
wjt
Veteran Member

Going well guys, some great shots up already, only 4 days in and the bar has already been set high. Day 5 will be better
Oh and this is not doing anything for LBA at all

09-04-2010, 08:47 PM   #188

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshunter Quote
Now wedgetail that's not in the spirit of the challenge

Personally, this challenge is throwing lenses into the mix that I'd never have contemplated beforehand...Lensbaby and FE being great cases-in-point. I know, I know, this don't sound like the therapy's working. But I've resolved to keep well away from Paypal, focused on the DA35 and a keen eye on how these portfolios unfold.

Then again maybe buying my one favourite lens from this challenge, in October, is a good reward if I can make it through the whole month.....
well series 1 105mm 1:2.5 doesn't come up for sale very often
09-05-2010, 12:22 AM   #189
Inactive Account

Guuday All

5 days in and now I'm wondering about my choice of lense..one I wasn't too familiar with, the Sigma 28-80 Macro zoom.

Quite pleased with it's macro work, but struggling to get it to work for me with the wider shots....but that's the whole idea of this exercise isn't it?

Having a ball just the same. Been doing the camera download thing and reviewing the day's efforts (first patchy sunshine in Vic for Spring for us Vics), and still wasn't happy, fire needed more wood ... so off outside for more wood .. and ran back for the camera to capture what I'm sending in tonight....not brilliant but I sort of like the contrasting light (maybe there's something in there to crop!).

Just some thoughts...others from today I'll post elsewhere.

Cheers

Paddy
09-05-2010, 01:06 AM   #190
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by patolds Quote
5 days in and now I'm wondering about my choice of lense..one I wasn't too familiar with, the Sigma 28-80 Macro zoom.

Quite pleased with it's macro work, but struggling to get it to work for me with the wider shots....but that's the whole idea of this exercise isn't it?
28mm isn't really wide angle on APS-C. I forget about context with that focal length and treat it like a normal lens. I just stick it right into whatever I'm shooting. 8)

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Ok, day 3 was challenging. Had people harassing me about permission to photograph on the Westfield premises
Will be uploading pics for days 2&3 later today.
Shopping mall? Sorry to hear it. I got my first and last ejection back in ~90-91 when shooting with a super-8 camera and a timer-trigger. Trying to remake "Koyaanisqatsi". The security dicks alone are reason enough to avoid malls altogether.

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Guess it came out ok. I've got like 50 more shots to edit...... this is just the first i've done.
Nice work!! Had my two year old squirming. Keep it up and you'll get a request from the mods to write up your technique. ;^)

QuoteOriginally posted by casil403 Quote
Ditto this one....and this seems to be increasing my LBA not decreasing it. I have a hankering for a lensbaby now in a big way.
Funny, that seems to be going 'round.

QuoteOriginally posted by wedgetail Quote
Question do you fail the challenge if you buy a new Lens in September ?
Heh-heh! Yes. Also, I think I failed because I posted a pic with the wrong lens. 8(

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshunter Quote
I do receive a notification. It comes up in the Private Messages area in the top right hand corner - stating "Unread Picture Comment/s".
Thanks for pointing it out here and in the PM.

Keep up the good work, everyone. This is fun.
09-05-2010, 01:18 AM   #191
axl
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
Shopping mall? Sorry to hear it. I got my first and last ejection back in ~90-91 when shooting with a super-8 camera and a timer-trigger. Trying to remake "Koyaanisqatsi". The security dicks alone are reason enough to avoid malls altogether.

not like I would have a big choice.... I work there and since I have to take a pic a day.....go figure
09-05-2010, 05:39 AM   #192
Veteran Member

Day 5 was easy! Annual Thai festival :-) I am pleasantly surprised as it (edit: DA 60-250) works quite well as a candid portrait lens. I was fearing the huge size of it would be a deterrent, but it was nice with a bit of elbow room in the back.

Last edited by Zorglub; 09-05-2010 at 07:55 AM.
09-05-2010, 06:19 AM   #193
Banned

Great shots by everyone so far. I'm impressed!

I guess I'm lucky but I'm having a relatively easy time with this. But luckily I'm able to set aside some time each day. I've also had something different going on each day to help mix it up. I'm sure that will change soon. I think it's also a great exercise in finding good shots in ordinary places.
09-05-2010, 06:31 AM   #194
Veteran Member

Well, a little late but I uploaded Day 4 and am back on schedule. Thankfully, I took the picture early yesterday but couldn't upload until this morning because of work. Sometimes things don't work out the way we plan them.

Just wanted to say, that there are some good pointers and tips from many members. I am enjoying looking at some beautiful and creative pictures. Hope to comment now that my weekend has officially begun.
09-05-2010, 10:50 AM   #195
axl
Inactive Account

My day 5 is up, boring shot but I was confined to my house all day and inspiration running really low.... oh well....