Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hope you feel better.
Flat on the back does not sound good.
Best wishes.

09-13-2010, 04:48 AM   #287
Veteran Member

I have posted another 3 days worth. I would like to echo other peoples thoughts and say what a great challenge and skill developer this project has been. I would certainly be keen to try something next month but am not sure if I can commit to every day again - maybe though.

A couple of suggestions for alternative challenges are:
1) Pictures straight out of the camera with no PP
2) Allow only one photo to be taken per day with a nominated lens
3) Photos to be taken using manual exposure settings only

Please advise if some of these have already been done.
Honesty essential for these

Cheers,
Sam
09-13-2010, 06:01 AM   #288
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by samski_1 Quote
A couple of suggestions for alternative challenges are: 1) Pictures straight out of the camera with no PP 2) Allow only one photo to be taken per day with a nominated lens 3) Photos to be taken using manual exposure settings only
1. Though it forces extra time and thought process, I feel it could potentially be discouraging, because even the best composed, etc. shots sometimes need a little contrast tweek, slight sharpening due to the resizing process, etc. Though it would certainly speed up the work after the shoot.

2. This definitely has merit. Mentally thinking "this is the last frame of Ektachrome in the world..." Only downside I see is: what happens when you find the shot of the day after you've fired off your round?

3. No way! After a month of nothing but Manual, I've got to give the green button a rest.
09-13-2010, 01:37 PM   #289
Veteran Member

Thanks Jools, a couple of days will make all the difference I reckon.

09-13-2010, 05:07 PM   #290
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What about a challenge using one lens with natural light only...no flash?
09-13-2010, 05:14 PM   #291
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by casil403 Quote
What about a challenge using one lens with natural light only...no flash?
I like this idea as I don't have a flash
09-13-2010, 05:22 PM   #292
Banned

I'm having a bit of creative trouble the last few days. I need to get out of my wife's garden and shoot something different. I think the camera is going to work tomorrow..

Love the challenge, need more lenses...

09-13-2010, 05:33 PM   #293
Veteran Member

I must say that I am amazed at the quality of the shots in various albums associated with this challenge (except mine), there are some very talented people participating.

I think I can sense a bond developing as well.....

Cheers, John.
09-13-2010, 06:36 PM   #294
Banned

I'm really learning that to my eye the A50 F2 that I'm using is sharper than any of my other lenses. I don't have a big group, Sigma 10-20, 16-45 and 55-300, the throwaway A50 blows them away in sharpness and contrast IMHO. I'm really wanting to get some inexpensive primes in a decent range instead of more expensive zooms.
09-13-2010, 06:57 PM   #295
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
I'm really learning that to my eye the A50 F2 that I'm using is sharper than any of my other lenses. I don't have a big group, Sigma 10-20, 16-45 and 55-300, the throwaway A50 blows them away in sharpness and contrast IMHO. I'm really wanting to get some inexpensive primes in a decent range instead of more expensive zooms.
Yeah, a 50mm is a pretty simple design, so it was fairly easy for manufacturers to get right. The faster ones a little more difficult. But what you're seeing is the inherent advantage of primes over zooms. Zooms are just that much more convenient, and thus the tradeoff.

In other news, my auction wins have arrived! A set of k-mount (manual) extension tubes (just disassembled, cleaned, and lubed the mount sections since the locking pin assemblies were sticky), a k to m42 tube (but no diaphrahm mechanism) and a Rikenon L 50mm f/2.

And then today, my K2 with SMC Pentax 55/1.8 came.
09-13-2010, 07:07 PM   #296
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jheu02 Quote
Yeah, a 50mm is a pretty simple design, so it was fairly easy for manufacturers to get right. The faster ones a little more difficult. But what you're seeing is the inherent advantage of primes over zooms. Zooms are just that much more convenient, and thus the tradeoff.
I knew that primes were better but it's still surprising that the lowest common denominator prime is sharper than modern mid-priced zooms. And it's an obvious difference. I'm also learning to trust my eye as much as AF.
09-13-2010, 08:57 PM   #297
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Crap! I forgot all about this challenge until today, and I'm going on vacation on Wednesday with no room in the bag for my chosen lens. Crap!
09-14-2010, 08:57 AM   #298
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I shot the cat today ... wait a minute, that did not sound right!
09-14-2010, 09:52 AM   #299
Veteran Member

Well I should be drummed out out this group... I just caved to my LBA... For a DA* 50-135... sigh... but at least I have wanted this lens for like a month before I bought it!
09-14-2010, 11:59 AM   #300
axl
Inactive Account

Days 13 & 14 are up.
13 - not very creative day. So I snapped this one, just outside of the Charing Cross station. Kept it in colour to showcase the OOF rendering at full aperture
14 - typical English weather, windy, cloudy, showery.... so I took out my FA ltds and flashes and started experimenting, I posted the version I liked the best...

---

nearly in half time
my notes on first 2 weeks. It's A challenge. To find a decent picture a day is proving harder and harder. And busy schedule at work doesn't help. On the other side, I'm getting more and more confident in MF and I realized how big mistake it would have been selling this lens....really glad I kept it as it's just about perfect focal length and has truly unique rendering characteristics.

regards
Peter