Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2010, 06:14 PM   #376
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Crap...we had snow today! Summer is over in Alberta...it was pretty beautiful in the mountains though....posted a couple of photos to prove it.

09-17-2010, 07:57 PM   #377
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just started a new project for work and have not been keeping up with this thread. My congrats to the expectant fathers and best wishes for the ill and injured. It's been good catching up but I just read about the self-portrait sub-challenge...I should not have chosen such a sharp lens.

How can you have 6 1/2 cows stillshunter? Does the 1/2 cow make the other 6 nervous?
09-17-2010, 07:58 PM   #378
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bogiesbad Quote
How can you have 6 1/2 cows stillshunter? Does the 1/2 cow make the other 6 nervous?
LOLOLOL!!!
09-17-2010, 09:09 PM   #379
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stillshunter Quote
Next challenge for this or a sub-group?

Inspired by many who have achieved outstanding results with what Pentax Lens Reviews would attribute with mediocre performance or IQ.

Sub-Fifty Swap Group

Buy one lens for no more than USD50 and use for a period (month?), posting results to a folder - grouped under person and lens - and then pass that lens onto the next person around the globe.

NB: they do not necessarily have to be prime or MF glass. I've seen some F-series zooms that would easily qualify.

Anyway, just putting it out there.
I love this idea stills, would it be possible to make it "around" $50 or less so I can use a lens I have just purchased rather than buying a new one?

09-17-2010, 09:16 PM   #380
Veteran Member

Following on from my last post, does anyone have any suggestions for a good wide angle prime (20mm or less) that could be purchased for less than $50?
09-18-2010, 03:34 AM   #381
Veteran Member

Yes indeed, congrats to expectant fathers!

Casil, Bramela and Wedge - hope you all feeling better and healing well!

Casil - amazing, snow already - wow! Not sure if I can get use to such a short veggie growing season Gorgeous photo btw!

Uccemebug - very nice documentary of the bike trip, enjoyed the gallery and thank you for sharing! Always great to see the "life" outside of the usual surroundings!

Stillshunter - I'm game. I scanned through the photos last night, and noticed that I rarely use any focal length under 50mm (except for landscapes), and those are mostly done in the fall anyway, so for me personally - it would be a challenge, and I will do just that! As the matter of fact, just got Tokina II 28mm f2.8 PKA little bargain. Not rated as top performer, I know, but, this should give me a good feel for wider end prime lens use, and then I'd make a decision whether to by any limited glass under 50mm or not... There will be one "BUT" for me once or twice in October... Fall season is here, leafs are turning already (much sooner than last year) and I will take few trips to the mountains. I will have to us 16mm few times to capture the beauty, I know.

Regards,
D
09-18-2010, 04:43 AM   #382
Veteran Member

Okay I'll play in October but what Do I just go to Ebay and buy a lens under $50? I have never done that before.

09-18-2010, 05:31 AM   #383
axl
Inactive Account

lens under $50?!? Guys seriously, have any of you looked at UK prices? Even Taks with adaptes don't cost less than 50! Helios 44M in good condition is on display for 45... do I need to mention more?
09-18-2010, 05:48 AM   #384
axl
Inactive Account

another 3 days are up

I've been going through bit of a dry spell lately. Shots don't come easy, or... they do but not the good ones. For last three days I selected my typical "forte": streets. There is a lot happening around and sometimes you get lucky capturing good moment. MF and f1.2 don't make it easy but I still get some keepers. And yes, days 15/16/17 are all shot at f1.2.

Regards

Peter
09-18-2010, 09:24 AM   #385
Veteran Member

Peter - I actually thought your prices are fair... That Tokina I bought from UK (Gosport) 20.00, and he has Helios 44M-4 for 14.00, almost bought it along, but really want the MC version 44-5. He also takes reasonable offers (I know I made one and he accepted)... User name mjjhobbies on ebay UK

As for dark spell - I hear you, there has been more than one day for me as well!

Regards,
D
09-18-2010, 12:03 PM   #386
Veteran Member

i apologize for essentially dropping out guys.

Yesterday I finally got a new usable memory card (after my mom buying a class 2 card that made shooting useless as the camera was soooooo slow. It would be stuck deleting 1 image for several minutes!) but its to late to just join in again.

Looks good though guys! You sure didn't need my help to create a good portfolio
09-18-2010, 01:07 PM   #387
Pentaxian

With the exception of my current challenge lens, the DA10-17 and the 2 lenses that came in the package deal when I bought my K10D, all my lenses were under $50 from either the Marketplace or Ebay. For the most part, $50 is my price limit.
09-18-2010, 01:17 PM   #388
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Guys the "less than $50" was fairly arbitrary. If you want to spend a shade more then It's up to you - but I just thought with the vagaries of some postal systems I didn't want people freaking out because their FA31 is lost somewhere in Peru enroute to Cuba (phew, I don't think I offending anyone here....I've not met a Peruvian or Cuban on here I don't think ).

So do we have a few hands up on the Cheap Lens Cohort/Collective/..? If so, I'll start looking....but we'll need to coordinate at some point - otherwise we'll all be shooting with M50/2s

Just out of interest. Has anyone out there ever published a photo-book? I've heard of some places where it's pay per copy with little in the way of initial outlays. I'm not thinking anything flash, but if it were relatively inexpensive I'd certainly buy a copy of "Single in September: One Lens Challenge". The majority of photos need not be large - maybe 3 proofs by 5 making it a two page spread, with a total of four pages. First page, a photo of the artist (since we're all uploading a self-portrait ) and textual diary or commentary about your time during the challenge. Pages 2-3 the photo proofs (x30). Final page comprising two photos 4"x6"..ish of the artist's favourite and the second the groups' voted favourite. Please don't ask me where these silly ideas come from...you'd think I could channel those energies into getting more creative with my photos!

BTW: I also asked Adam about setting up the "People's Choice" voting function in our individual Albums. He replied that "You can definitely set something like that up, but it would have to be manual. If you need help with it, let me know!". So if you like the idea - not necessarily for the photo book purposes (that's a little more pie in the sky...I know) - then let me know and I'll fumble for a bit and then get Adam to help me put together some cogent instructions.

Last edited by stillshunter; 09-18-2010 at 02:16 PM.
09-18-2010, 03:47 PM   #389
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
Originally posted by Zorglub
Edit: This would also allow pictures to be hosted on say flickr which would be nice if we are to continue this challenge on a monthly basis

Yup! Hey, Stillshunter, what you think?
Missed this one, sorry guys!

So are we thinking about opening a Flickr group for this?If so, great idea and I'm certainly in!!! Just let me know if there's an existing Group and I'll ask for an invite....or let me know and I'll set the Group up and let you all know the link.
09-18-2010, 03:47 PM   #390
Veteran Member

If I can get a cheapo lens, I am in. And I am also in on the people's choice also.
Btw...I wanted to ask...am I the only female amongst us? Just curious mostly....