Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2010, 01:25 PM   #406
axl
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mdf Quote
Axl you're setting your standards very high, I hope you're still enjoying the game (well i understand you have a reputation to preserve).
reputation to preserve?!? What on earth are you talking about... I'm just an average Joe with bunch of snaps....

09-19-2010, 01:31 PM   #407
mdf
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
reputation to preserve?!? What on earth are you talking about... I'm just an average Joe with bunch of snaps....
Eh eh, ok ok, don't get me wrong, perhaps i should have written "i understand if you feel you have" before that!
09-19-2010, 02:06 PM   #408
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Axl: Mate, you certainly have the respect of your peers here! Like mdf said, we're just happy to have you on-board with us, and that you're sharing your images with us so openly. They are great and you certainly have an eye for grouping elements in a frame to keep the eye wandering all the way through, sometimes there's a cracking story and sometimes it's just plain pleasing....but always exposed just right. From my perspective, you have a talent and I'm just using the next few days to grab some tips from reading your images!

All: I had obviously expressed myself badly when I was talking about the People's Choice. I did not want us to select the best Album or photographer. Not only is this divisive, but not really representative of the challenge. To be honest there is no single album that strikes me as the best, I like individual images from most people's contributions so far. My intent was to enable us each to vote on the favourite photo from each Album. So, for instance, I might select samski's Racing Sheep from his Album, and then patold's Self-portrait from his gallery and so on until I have voted for my favourite from each person's Album . At the end of it the Artist is able to tell what stood out from their month's portfolio (hopefully like the PF Monthly challenge you can get a read out of which photo people liked in terms of a percentage). This would then extend to the photo book - where in the Artist's 4 pages - the two showcased images would be the Artist's own favourite image and then the People's Choice from their line-up. Hope that's a little clearer.

I'm seeing some interest in the photo-book, so might do some costings and get back to you all.

Finally, only a week or so to go. Have we settled on a Challenge for October: Uno in October (same thing again with a different lens), sub-50 swap, the Sabbath (in other words, this month has me beat and I want a break), or any other ideas???

What a group, you guys (and Lisa ) collectively rock!!!!
09-19-2010, 02:16 PM   #409
axl
Inactive Account

well, thanks guys.... I'm always trying to be critical of my pictures, and my natural lack of selfconfidence is always telling me my shots are OKish... my wife usually says they are good, but I think she's just trying to be nice...but if you "bunch" (I don't mean it in any disrespectful way, opposite! bunch of friends with passion for the same hobby) say they are good, then... I may as well have something.... a BIG THANKS!

09-19-2010, 02:18 PM   #410
axl
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshunter Quote

What a group, you guys (and Lisa ) collectively rock!!!!
you know what? I don't think she minds to be called as a part of "guys" by now..
but Lisa, if you do.. I apologize
09-19-2010, 02:25 PM   #411
Veteran Member

Original Poster
you know what? I don't think she minds to be called as a part of "guys" by now..
but Lisa, if you do.. I apologize
I think so too, as Lisa seems very very cool, but best not assume.... As assumptions seems to be the single biggest thing that gets me in trouble in this life
09-19-2010, 02:31 PM   #412
Veteran Member

The book idea sounds good.

Don't know about 30 days in October but if others join I probably will too; Maybe it should be 7 photos a week and the 7 photos can be taken anytime during the calendar week or even all on one day of the calendar week. This whole excercise has had me think hard about composition etc and it has been really helpful but does take up a whole lot of time to find subjects and then the composition. The actual shooting is the least time consuming...

09-19-2010, 02:33 PM   #413
axl
Inactive Account

I think so too, as Lisa seems very very cool, but best not assume.... As assumptions seems to be the single biggest thing that gets me in trouble in this life
haha... I hear you stills... I know exactly what you mean when you say that!
09-19-2010, 02:34 PM   #414
axl
Inactive Account

18/09 is up...
now back to LR3 for 19/09...
09-19-2010, 02:52 PM   #415
Veteran Member

Original Poster
now back to LR3 for 19/09..
Ahhh a small revelation here my friends. So you're using LR3 for you PP, or first step in digital workflow Axl? Hmmm....I loved using LR3 during the free beta trail phase. I need to sell a few shots to afford the full-blown package now I'm afraid

BTW: when I was talking about assumptions getting me into trouble I wasn't, I repeat "wasn't", directing this towards events solely involving the better or our genders, but our species in general. .
09-19-2010, 03:01 PM   #416
axl
Inactive Account

Ahhh a small revelation here my friends. So you're using LR3 for you PP, or first step in digital workflow Axl? Hmmm....I loved using LR3 during the free beta trail phase. I need to sell a few shots to afford the full-blown package now I'm afraid
Yep, I've been using LR2, LR2.3 and now LR3... never paid a dime but husssshhhh
But another revelation is that for me LR is RAW>TIFF converter only. There is very little of actual PPing that I do in LR... CS3 is still the king for me in regards to PP, although I'm happy that the Adobe people have included lens distortion correction tool in LR3! Makes life much easier...

BTW: when I was talking about assumptions getting me into trouble I wasn't, I repeat "wasn't", directing this towards events solely involving the better or our genders, but our species in general. .
yeah, yeah, yeah....
09-19-2010, 03:42 PM   #417
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have and probably always be just like"one of the guys" so I consider that statement a compliment!No worries at all...I like it!
I've worked in a kitchen with a mostly male crew and most of my very best friends have always been guys for some reason. So thanks for including me as "one of the guys"! Still a girly girl but have always had a great report with you male species!
09-19-2010, 03:47 PM   #418
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Okay so I bought a lens off Ebay cheap out of BC. The criteria was it had to be cheap, easy to get here (BC is the province next door west) and fit a K-mount.
Got a Kiron 80-200mm f4.5 macro so we shall see...for 22 bucks it should at least be interesting!!!
I dunno if I can commit to every day for the whole month again as I have work and studying with school but I will try.
09-19-2010, 03:52 PM   #419
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So let's say we go with the cheap lens challenge. I'm happy for it not to be a photo a day, maybe hold onto the lens for a month and take - hmmm...how many - photos?

I'll need to get my finger out to find a cheapie that will arrive within ten days.
09-19-2010, 03:58 PM   #420
axl
Inactive Account

I don't like feeling left out...
I found Tokina RMC 28/2.8 for 15.
I used to own one of those before I got 31ltd... I gave me 2 PPG accepted shots so maybe I'll play... I'll let you know guys...