Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2010, 12:27 AM   #31
axl
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know if I'll have time to post one pic a day, but sounds a good challenge... I think I'll be into it! I have lens of my choice already...let's just call her "the old laughing lady"

07-28-2010, 12:29 AM   #32
axl
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
and maybe move to games?
many things don't get noticed so much because they get moved to "correct" subforum. Keep it here for now I say, and put the challenge thread itself to games etc...
07-28-2010, 04:40 AM   #33
Ira
Inactive Account

Easy choice:

Super Tak 50 1.4.

Or maybe this would be a good opportunity to get intimately acquainted with my Helios 44-2.

Not an easy choice after all.
07-28-2010, 05:33 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Thread moved to Mini-Challenges, Games, and Photo Stories.

07-28-2010, 12:19 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
Stillshunter and I have a little tiff going on in regard to the A35-105 and k28, which I think he's insane for selling.
Certifiable - either of those should be on the "cold, dead fingers" list.

Ask him about the K35/3.5 and the Viv S1 105/2.5 Macro.

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
I also think AF is inherently evil.
07-28-2010, 01:24 PM   #36
Pentaxian

I think it's a great idea too, as I have a couple favorites already, but I really want to get to know my SMC-K 135/2.5 better, and that'll really force some thinking 'cause of the focal length.

Last edited by jheu02; 07-28-2010 at 02:57 PM.
07-28-2010, 02:27 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I haven't decided but it's down to either my 43ltd or 77ltd because I simply have not used either much at all because I have been house bound most of the year...good excuse to get out for an hour every day if I am able to by then anyway. Still i will use one of those two...
07-29-2010, 04:37 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
many things don't get noticed so much because they get moved to "correct" subforum. Keep it here for now I say, and put the challenge thread itself to games etc...
Great suggestion.

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
What does this thread have to do with Mini-Challenges, Games, or Photo Stories at this point? Lets clutter up an already cluttered forum a bit more I guess.

Tim

07-30-2010, 08:31 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Easy choice:

Super Tak 50 1.4.

Or maybe this would be a good opportunity to get intimately acquainted with my Helios 44-2.

Not an easy choice after all.
now that would be a true conundrum!! What fun to play with either of those everyday for a month...I really love the old glass and still covet all things 1.2 but 1.4 would not be a bad thing...
08-05-2010, 07:37 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Well...when I was shooting 35mm, I had a 70-210 that stayed on the camera 95% of the time, and since I got my K-x in early June I only remember 2 days I didn't shoot at least 50 pictures, so neither constraint should bother me much, just deciding which lens to use...I only have a couple now, the SMC Pentax A 50mm f1.4 and Makinon 135mm 2.8, and I take the 18-55 kit lens out once every couple of weeks for one or two shots, get disgusted and put it back up. So I doubt that one would even be considered. I'd probably have to go with the 50...

But...WHAT the hey is LBA??? anything like GAS? I'm a guitar player, and for as long as I remember I have to ogle, handle and purchase guitars, amps and effects pedals any time I have the finances to do so. 8 guitars, 5 amps, half dozen effects, 2 saxes, a flute, 2 xylophones, a dozen slide bars...yeah I have a bad case of GAS...Gear Acquisition Syndrome...is it somehting like that??? I guess it's the same with photography, I'm constantly looking for a replacement for my now junk 70-210, and anything else that looks like I gotta have it...eyeing a 80-200 currently.

So, I might try to get in on this, just gotta figure out what lens it will be, and maybe before Sept 1 I'll find a good long lens. Then it'll be a no brainer ...
08-05-2010, 07:54 PM   #41
Pentaxian

I'm in, but this could be a 2-3 year project if I spend one month on each lens I own

or it could be a 1 month project with a day on each

the biggest problem is, what lens, focal length and aperture. is it fully open for us to pick
08-05-2010, 09:24 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I love it....I'm in. I have 3 or 4 lenses I grab on a regular basis, so this is a good opportunity to grab a lens that I might not grab otherwise.

Does this mean there is going to be a big spike on the marketplace right after the contest is over?
08-06-2010, 08:42 AM   #43
axl
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
"thanks" for listening and consideration Mike.....
08-06-2010, 08:43 AM   #44
axl
Inactive Account

PS: when and how do we start this?
08-06-2010, 01:24 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Kicking off

Great to hear a few others are up for the challenge. As time draws near it's not so much the sticking to one lens that will be my issue, but the discipline of taking a meaningful photo each day - rain, hail, laziness or shine.

I've been speaking with Adam and his suggestion for hosting "Single in September" is:

QuoteQuote:
... using our album system for this. Each member can create a dedicated album for the event, and as long as they all have the same title, we'll be able to display them on a single page.

The limits in the albums are 40 photos for regular members, and 100 photos for site supporters (possibly more, I forget). Thus, they should be perfect for the event.
So interested folks need only create an Album called "Single in September" in readiness of the challenge.

The beauty of this option is that album entries allow for a photo title as well as a description - so we can relay a little of the frustrations as we go along...and I can see these certainly kicking in around Day 10 In addition, all EXIF is automatically retrieved and displayed - so we can be sure each photo is from a separate 24 hours. I'm sure none of us is in the business of cheating OURSELVES now

So if everyone's comfortable with this then please just let me know and I'll signal the green light to Adam. Otherwise, if you can see some room for refinement please post over the next few days so we are all ready for kick-off on Sept 1. Also this will give time enough to organise a mail-out a few days previous to the event just to get us all primed (pardon the pun).

Again, great to have a others on-board. I, for one, have been showing considerable restraint with use of the DA35....just to keep me fresh (read as "avoiding any temptation to fault the lens and visit the Marketplace to refine my option") for the event