Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2010, 05:26 AM   #436
mdf
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by samski_1 Quote
One more idea for next month:
Pair up members of the challenge and have them give their partner a theme to shoot to for the month. You could even take it a step further and have the member select the lens their partner will use (based on lenses currently owned). This could really help further photographers' abilities by taking them out of their comfort zones.
QuoteOriginally posted by stillshunter Quote
I like the sounds of this...do we draw the buddies out of a hat or would we self-select?
Well, i own one single lens and i live in a desert island (so no people/portraits sorry)!
By the way, here's the most probable assigment for casil: self-portrait

Last edited by mdf; 09-20-2010 at 05:42 AM.
09-20-2010, 09:09 AM   #437
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I started back to work yesterday afternoon and shooting is going to be a struggle. As always when returning from a few days off, I have a bunch of broken junk waiting for me.
09-20-2010, 11:18 AM   #438
axl
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by samski_1 Quote
One more idea for next month:
Pair up members of the challenge and have them give their partner a theme to shoot to for the month. You could even take it a step further and have the member select the lens their partner will use (based on lenses currently owned). This could really help further photographers' abilities by taking them out of their comfort zones.

Whoa, that took too much thinking, my brain hurts.
this would be interesting indeed! the idea of someone else telling me what to shoot is kind of freaking me out but it definitely would be very good way of steeping up the learning curve....

I like the sounds of this...do we draw the buddies out of a hat or would we self-select?
so +1 to this....
how would we select? well we could make up something silly to find the partners...
and it would be kind of nice to follow "single in September" by something named like "coupled in October"
09-20-2010, 12:58 PM   #439
Veteran Member

Original Poster
"Coupled in October"...I LIKE IT!

So we'll wait to hear back from Sam on his vision of how this should play out.

My questions are:
1. Who or how are partners picked?
2. How many shots are needed over the month (a photo-a-day is wearing me out )?
3. Do we re-open this to the Forum or keep it to our own little well-trusted club?

Any other questions for Sam for when he gets a chance to log in from a few days of hard farming duties?

09-20-2010, 01:06 PM   #440
mdf
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Just let me know the how and when, I trust your judgments so you have "carte blanche".
The relief from a photo-a-day would be nice!
09-20-2010, 01:23 PM   #441
axl
Inactive Account

"Coupled in October"...I LIKE IT!

So we'll wait to hear back from Sam on his vision of how this should play out.

My questions are:
1. Who or how are partners picked?
2. How many shots are needed over the month (a photo-a-day is wearing me out )?
3. Do we re-open this to the Forum or keep it to our own little well-trusted club?

Any other questions for Sam for when he gets a chance to log in from a few days of hard farming duties?
1 - need to think about that
2 - I think we could select a fixed number, say 13 and the "partner" will choose 13 topics. Not necessarely in one go... the topics could be mad "on the fly". Our goal is to get one shot to each topic selected....
3 - I like the crew we have now, but I think it would be fair to open it the rest of the community. If so, we should start a new thread to see who's in and then find some way to select partners...

just my 2p

PS: and yes, photo a day is proving tiring... not that I would be bored but it's mentally tiring...
09-20-2010, 02:40 PM   #442
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
1 - need to think about that
2 - I think we could select a fixed number, say 13 and the "partner" will choose 13 topics. Not necessarely in one go... the topics could be mad "on the fly". Our goal is to get one shot to each topic selected....
3 - I like the crew we have now, but I think it would be fair to open it the rest of the community. If so, we should start a new thread to see who's in and then find some way to select partners...

just my 2p

PS: and yes, photo a day is proving tiring... not that I would be bored but it's mentally tiring...
For #1... Maybe we'd have a cut-off date and simply assign partners through some random or anonymous process. Easy enough to code a random selection routine or assign partners for instance by pairing first-and-last alphabetically by username.

#2: 10 photos in a month is plenty. Helps us weed out the days where nothing came together. As for topics, I've done some 'scavenger hunts' where you draw up a list of terms and everybody goes out to find shots for that same list....

As for #3 we do have a fair number of people who haven't been able to complete this challenge, perhaps we should poll for members but ask that since it's a paired challenge that they somehow commit to completing the challenge.

09-20-2010, 04:52 PM   #443
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
We did a photo swap once on another forum I belong to and one of us (me) was assigned to simply drawing names out of a hat. Worked out nicely as I did it "live" on the forum... Simple enough and I can do it again if asked.
The other thought was perhaps we should do a photo swap with each other after all this is over. Pick the fave of the month and swap 8X10's between partners. It was very well received on the forum I belong to and might be a nice idea when all is said and done with September. Just a thought.
09-20-2010, 06:07 PM   #444
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by casil403 Quote
The other thought was perhaps we should do a photo swap with each other after all this is over. Pick the fave of the month and swap 8X10's between partners. It was very well received on the forum I belong to and might be a nice idea when all is said and done with September. Just a thought.
Wow, clever!
09-21-2010, 02:45 AM   #445
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm liking this idea the more I hear about it...and Lisa's just added a cherry on the top.

Are the 'rules' similar to your previous experience?

Lisa would you be happy to be the impartial draw marshal? If that's OK with the group....
09-21-2010, 03:02 AM   #446
axl
Inactive Account

I'm liking this idea the more I hear about it...and Lisa's just added a cherry on the top.

Are the 'rules' similar to your previous experience?

Lisa would you be happy to be the impartial draw marshal? If that's OK with the group....
I'm in on it... as the only lady in the group it would make sense if she paired the rest of us up...
09-21-2010, 05:28 AM   #447
Veteran Member

Done. I just wrote a bunch of names on paper, threw them in a hat and drew them out. I can do it on a certain day and whoever wants to be here I will post them in this thread, live as I do it.

If we want to do a photo swap, the pair just pm's each other with addresses and to work out the details between the two. We picked a date that the mailing had to be done by. You can pick your fave and send it. or you can pm your partner and ask them to pick their fave from the month. No frame, just the photo. Many of us also mailed two photos instead of one.

I think we should also post who got which photos here as well. We did that so people could see each others work.
Oh and we autographed each one also.
09-21-2010, 06:19 AM   #448
axl
Inactive Account

cool!
will we start a new thread or will we just continue this one?
09-21-2010, 06:44 AM   #449
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
cool!
will we start a new thread or will we just continue this one?
Shall we rename the "September Challenge" social group to "Monthly Challenge" and do the selection etc in there?
09-21-2010, 06:45 AM   #450
Veteran Member

I'm okay with a new thread for October. "Coupled in October" would be kind of cool!
As to the photo swap we can just continue the thread in SiS if that is okay with the group of us.
I guess I need a list of all who want to participate so start signing up in this thread if you want to partake in the photo swap at the end of the month. I will do the draw on Oct 1 probably around 7pm Pacific Time (8pm my time in Calgary) if that works for everybody.