Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
09-30-2010, 02:08 AM   #556
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My final photo's in place. Ended it in Gotanda, the seedy neighbourhood where my fly-by-night employer first put me up.

Look how many people we had see this challenge through! I salute you all.

P.S. With the encouragement of Mr. Assp, I'm going to start paying more respect to my M50 f/1.7, and will stick to a single lens again in October. Perhaps I'll post pics to the "spares" group for a "One in October" album. 8^)

09-30-2010, 03:53 AM   #557
Veteran Member

Hey uccemebug! Way to go.
Something satisfying about seeing it through.

Well, as drink my coffee and I finish waking up for this last day in September (at least in this part of the world) I had a few random thoughts about this challenge.

Hectic, stressful having to post a picture a day. Sometimes the creative juices were not flowing in my brain and it became a toil. It reminded me of why I left journalism where having to pound out daily stories was the norm.
But the process also allowed me to truly understand my Zenitar. I think I have a good handle on its pros and cons. I also learned that the Zenitar in combination with a K200d or *ist D tends to overexpose at least two stops. I am afraid I will not parting with this little gem.

My goal in posting daily images taken with the Zenitar was to showcase its wideangle in ways that I had not done before.

I finally got to enjoy the Zenitar's wide angle but I feel something wider is needed. I am thinking a 10-17mm would work as the beautiful images posted by casil403 and reeftool have demonstrated. I am also thinking about a 10-20mm but that is a different animal. I am torn between wanting distortion or not.

Speaking of LBA, I went the entire month without purchasing a lens. In fact, rarely took a look at the PF marketplace or Ebay. I guess that's a good thing. And I know my wife liked it so.

I took several rolls of film shots with the Zenitar and a K1000 but have not had the time to develop them. Maybe I'll post in the spares during the next month.

I truly enjoyed viewing the albums on a daily basis. And I wish I would have had the time to comment more on some great work all around. And thanks to all who commented on my album. It felt good to know that others around the world were engaged in taking a daily pix.

I also learned a lot of the various lenses used in this challenge. In a way, it was better than reading a review because I got to see real life examples of lenses at work. I also learned about folks' different photo techniques and styles. I also got to know some fellow PF members better than just in passing threads.
Interesting what 30 days in a row will show about us.

Good work by all and I also salute you. Best wishes.
09-30-2010, 04:13 AM   #558
Veteran Member

Sis, CiO, Social group = confusing

QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
Please see the discussion in the social group for current status.
Actually that should read the Coupled in October thread. For anyone interested in the current status of the October challenge, read the Coupled in October thread. There seems to be 11 people still left.
09-30-2010, 10:00 AM   #559
Pentaxian

Well, I managed to get my last shot, despite the weather. It's been a good learning experience. As the month went on, it became less of a single lens challenge and more of a just get out and shoot challenge. I have far more respect for the pro photographer who has to get up and shoot marketable photographs every day, regardless of the weather or the mood he/she is in.

09-30-2010, 01:41 PM   #560

Last photo uploaded:-) Think I'll miss the daily challenge. Had some difficult last days with traveling and shorter days resulting in long exposure evening shots. Thanks to Stillshunter and all other participant for comment and wonderful pictures; however my LBA has not been cured at all and now a CBA has turned up.... Will try finding time in the weekend to write some picture comments.
09-30-2010, 02:28 PM   #561
axl
Veteran Member

I have just taken last shot! I'll be uploading tomorrow and probably picking my favorite too... Well done everybody!
09-30-2010, 03:01 PM   #562
Veteran Member

Great comments Jools and others. I agree that the shared challenge was very encouraging and rewarding. I've started a thread in the social group with my selection for "favourite".

Also, I've added the link to my humble album to the review for the lens I used.

Once again, thanks Stillshunter for coming up with the idea and constantly encouraging everyone to participate. I've managed to catch up with two (out of ~20?) albums and will continue to go through everyone's brilliant and instructive work. Thanks everyone for sharing!

09-30-2010, 03:48 PM   #563
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Day 30 and last one is uploaded, nothing remarkable, but considering it's been raining for a week (and today no exception)

Well, everyone, September challenge has come to an end and I must say I've enjoyed it immensely! Special thanks to Still, for setting it up and allowing us to truly challenge ourselves, be it a single lens (and for entire month!!!), be it the fact of shooting something every single day for that month of be it restraining ourselves from buying another lens.

Cheers to each and everyone of you for your dedication and participation, well done everyone!!! I know it was not easy, but I at the end, so many positive things came out of this challenge, and most importantly, I feel that we all have gotten something very special - we've gotten to know one another. A pleasure meeting each and every one of you indeed! And let's hope this was not the last one we "meet", always look forward to seeing your work!!!

Kind regards,
D
09-30-2010, 04:54 PM   #564
Inactive Account

Some drongo from North'o'thumurray reckoned it'b be a bonzer idea ta grab the brownie an stick one, andoneonly, chunkaglass on it an' then take happy snaps everybloodyday f'a'month! Figured it couldn't be any harder than drivin-ta-tassie coz ya missed the ferry! So I chucked me hat in the ring! Strewth, ruddy galahs appeared alloverthujoint ta givitago..sandgropers, croweaters, bananbenders 'n' appleislanders..not to mention a bunch of foreign types! Had a ripper time with some fair dinkum fellas though...patsonthuback all...who's shout!

English:

SIS has been an enjoyable experience shared with people from all over the world. Well done everyone!

P.S. Not quite the same in the translation!

Cheers Paddy
09-30-2010, 05:00 PM   #565
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations to everyone who stuck at it and finished.
I haven't seen a photo in the challenge I don't like.

I can't compete in the CiO challenge, but I will be watching and maybe critiquing......

Jack.
09-30-2010, 07:21 PM   #566
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow...just posted the last shot...a bit of a bittersweet moment for me really.
This was so much fun, we have to try it again soon!
It was all so nice to get to know all of you boys and see all your photographic styles. I loved every minute of this thing....even the times I struggled to come up with something.
As Jack said, not a shot I did not like so you are all to be commended and congratulated on finishing this little adventure.
I wish all the best to those continuing on in the CiO challenge and thanks to stillshunter for coming up with such a brilliant idea!!!
Just friggen excellent (high fives all the SiSer's)!
09-30-2010, 07:29 PM   #567
Veteran Member

I am very happy to have participated in this challenge with all of you extremely talented individuals. My congrats to all who entered and to those that were able to see it through to the end. I know that life has it's own terms and to even commit to posting a picture a day is applaudable. I was quite fortunate to finish all 30 days but not without struggle so I will watch the CiO challenge from the sidelines.
To say I have learned a great deal is a understatement and I thank you all for allowing me the chance to tag along.
Chris
09-30-2010, 07:32 PM   #568
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by patolds Quote
Some drongo from North'o'thumurray reckoned it'b be a bonzer idea ta grab the brownie an stick one, andoneonly, chunkaglass on it an' then take happy snaps everybloodyday f'a'month! Figured it couldn't be any harder than drivin-ta-tassie coz ya missed the ferry! So I chucked me hat in the ring! Strewth, ruddy galahs appeared alloverthujoint ta givitago..sandgropers, croweaters, bananbenders 'n' appleislanders..not to mention a bunch of foreign types! Had a ripper time with some fair dinkum fellas though...patsonthuback all...who's shout!

English:

SIS has been an enjoyable experience shared with people from all over the world. Well done everyone!

P.S. Not quite the same in the translation!

Cheers Paddy
You are one-of-a-kind Paddy and thanks for that!
09-30-2010, 08:21 PM   #569
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bogiesbad Quote
You are one-of-a-kind Paddy and thanks for that!
Sadly I better understand Aussie after 15 months in that country than I do Japanese after 60 months! 8^D

Looking forward to the "my favourite" selections and of course assembling the book. Speaking of which, I'd be happy to put together a mockup, and have an idea on how to go about making the thing. I'll start a thread in the social group.
09-30-2010, 08:35 PM   #570
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The last day's photos are up. I had two and could not decide so posted both. As much as I wanted the last one to be something special, sadly I fear work intervened and I found myself in the back yard scrambling for anything to shoot.

I have greatly enjoyed this challenge and certainly learned more about the lens than I would have in years otherwise. Mostly, I learned that I have a long way to go to live up to the lens.

Unfortunately it has not helped with LBA as two additional lenses were added this month. A mint S-M-C 17mm/f4 Fisheye arrived in the mail today and I cannot wait to try it out. An S-M-C 85mm/f1.8 is on the way, I hope it is as nice as the fisheye. And that completes the Takumar collection. I'm still missing a few but I think they are beyond my means to acquire.

Thanks to all who participated and made this a fun event. Most especially those that spent the additional time to comment on photos which I admit I did all too little of.