Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2010, 03:39 AM   #121
wjt
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am out Work has decided i am required to work a heap to get a project out in 4-5 weeks... I was looking forward to putting my FA77 through its paces this month too, arrived yesterday afternoon and i was all excited about this challenge, planning a heap of the shots i wanted to take. Sadly overtime trumps it though... the minister of war and finance might let me keep enough for a DA*50-135 (fingers crossed). I'll still try to take one a day, but i doubt i will get the time to come close.

09-01-2010, 03:52 AM   #122
mdf
Inactive Account

I'm in too with the first picture, re-uploaded changing the exif because I had a wrong default lens and added the f number but I doubt I'll always remember it for the following pictures.
I hope to last and improve my skills with the 35mm.
cheers
09-01-2010, 07:07 AM   #123
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Go figure...the other forum I belong to has decided that for their September assignment, multiple exposure will be the theme.
LOL....kind of hard to do that assignment when I have this project in the works.
<bangs head against computer screen>
09-01-2010, 08:17 AM   #124

Allthough today was fine, it dawned on me that this is going to be harder than it sounds ...

getting something interesting in front of this lens everyday ... something that you can actually capture with your lens...

09-01-2010, 08:58 AM   #125
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marlboroman Quote
Allthough today was fine, it dawned on me that this is going to be harder than it sounds ...

getting something interesting in front of this lens everyday ... something that you can actually capture with your lens...
I think that is part of the challenge. Most days, I'm only going to have time to shoot the mundane everyday boring stuff. The challenge is to make it look interesting.
09-01-2010, 09:03 AM   #126
Veteran Member

Courtney Milne died this week... why that matters... his last project he was getting ready to show at the Saskatchewan Art Gal was called, "Pool of Possibilites", it took him 10 years and was 40,000 shots of his swimming pool.... 40K of the same subject... I think I can find something to shoot for 30 days, even if it is the same thing!

Here is the site for the project:

http://www.poolofpossibilities.com
09-01-2010, 09:07 AM   #127
Veteran Member

Posted my first picture. Used the DA 70mm lens. I was never sure whether it was too long for a walk-around lens. This month of using the same lens to take one pic everyday should answer that question. I sure hope that I can manage a daily picture...

09-01-2010, 12:36 PM   #128
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Take heart guys...we're all in the same boat

I agree this is not going to be easy. Day one and I was all geared up, but then the day (that's 'work') conspired to keep me indoors for every moment the Sun was out. But, yes this is a challenge, and one less about the lens and more about us as photographers. I mean I found myself thinking "Jeez I have a few hours until it's the 2nd and there's no light so nothing to shoot"...I panicked!!! Then I thought "bugger it I'll put my feet up and wind down for a bit", so I had that first sip of my 'in case of emergency' port (I needed it after the day I had), glanced over at the fire I'd struggled to bring to life minutes before, now it was gaining momentum and I finally smiled at how relaxed I was - at last - beginning to feel. That's when the shot dawned on me...and curiously while composing the shot a few other projects - both indoor and outdoor 'painting with light' come to mind!

So this challenge is precisely what I need right now! I too easily defer photography to when the time is right or there is something obvious in front of me...or I spend the time looking at the Marketplace and/or researching the lens I need. But now I am forced to look a little harder - and I hope in time a little deeper - at the world of images. Now it's not only finding the subject but 'how can I replicate the feeling,scene, etc. I have in mind to the sensor?'.....and it then comes down more to shutter/aperture/ISO than 'yeah but if I had the <insert lens name and word 'LTD' here> I could then do..."

But now I hope that I - and we - can stick it through! I'm really enjoying this little posse already

Marlboroman: As above, I hear ya brother
Patolds: I see your folder is called "September 2010". Rename it "Single in September" and then we can all see it in the collective space here. And yes just upload to that folder.
Mibane: Bad news!...no way around it? Some indoor shots maybe?
Icywarm: Interesting link. Thanks.
09-01-2010, 02:54 PM   #129
Pentaxian

Multiple Photos per Day?

I was thinking, one of my objectives is also to test out aperture settings, and see if metering needs adjusted for any given aperture. Obviously, for comparison purposes, aperture tests should be carried out as close to the same time, lighting, subject, etc as can be. I may wait to do this at the end, but it would be nice to have some of this info early in the month.

I plan on numbering my photos by the day, like Sep_1, and then followed by a,b,c...

Anyone else game on compiling info like that???
09-01-2010, 03:32 PM   #130
Veteran Member

So just to be clear...I am a bit confused.
I can take more than one photo per day here as long as I use the one lens?
I assumed for some reason that I was only supposed to only take a single photo per day...that;s it that;s all.
I can take as many as I like as long as I use the single lens?
If that is the case I may do a last minute switch to the fish eye just to try to get acquainted with that difficult (for me anyhow) type of shooting.
09-01-2010, 04:04 PM   #131
Veteran Member

My first image is in...This is going to be a challenge for sure. But, I hope I am up for it!!
09-01-2010, 05:09 PM   #132
Veteran Member

And so the journey begins - learn how to "love" thy lens!!! Hope everyone enjoy your adventure and look forward to seeing your photos!

Regards,
D
09-01-2010, 06:28 PM   #133
Veteran Member

Okay I have revised lenses...and submitted a new shot. I am going with my 10-17mm Fish eye now as it is the one I find the most technically challenging to get right with composition.

Being a girl and all, my prerogative to change my mind on a moment's notice!
09-01-2010, 07:09 PM   #134
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by casil403 Quote
So just to be clear...I am a bit confused.
I can take more than one photo per day here as long as I use the one lens?
I assumed for some reason that I was only supposed to only take a single photo per day...that;s it that;s all.
I can take as many as I like as long as I use the single lens?
If that is the case I may do a last minute switch to the fish eye just to try to get acquainted with that difficult (for me anyhow) type of shooting.
I won't speak for stillshunter, but it was my understanding that you pick one lens to shoot at least one photo per day with and post in the folder. You can use other lenses if you need to for other work, but the idea was to really use one specific lens EVERY day for the whole month.

I ws just trying to make my month as informative as I could by not only challenging myself for interesting photos, but also seeing the capabilities of the lens...where it's sharpest, bokeh, flare or PF problems (in what conditions)...that sort of thing. So I may have several pics on any given day if I'm doing the aperture checking since it would be comparing apples to oranges if they were of different subjects, different lighting.... My greatest challenge I think, though, will be to remember to write down the f-stop used since it won't be in the exif.
09-01-2010, 08:06 PM   #135
Forum Member

And so it begins... I sure am glad my 50 - 200 showed up today as this is what I'll be using for this challange. I do have a problem though... this weekend in Canada is a long weekend and my wife and I have not had a holiday or time off since we opened our shop 3 years ago. This weekend is going to be our getaway from it all leaving tomorow after work for a full 5 days of much needed R & R. Needless to say we are headed into the remote wilderness where there is no cell or internet service. Hopefully this not being able to post on a daily basis doesn't disqualify me because of that. With all the wildreness we will be seeing it should prove for some interesting pictures.

MC