Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
07-26-2010, 12:08 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One Lens Challenge: Want to join my LBA Therapy?

I may not have suffered LBA as long as many others here, but I've certainly fallen hard to the sirens call over the last year. So I thought it's time to take a stand. Step one is to admit you have a problem! Next step is to, along with your support group, fight it! So I'm thinking of a challenge that flies in the face of this addiction and I wondered if anyone else cared to join me for some therapy?

What I am proposing is "Single in September".

The challenge would involve posting one photo each day with the one lens of your choice....sort of like golf's one-club challenge.

Sounds simple enough....but how will this help exorcise LBA?
1. you will have to get very acquainted with that one lens;
2. you will have to spend less time researching other lenses and more being creative with the one on hand; and
3. you will have to take a photo every single day...work or weekend, rain or shine, you and your body and lens of choice must engage with the world daily. So focus here on photography and not equipment.

Prime or Zoom?
It doesn't really bother me. Personally, I'm going with a prime to really test my creativity and composition, but there is no reason why you couldn't go with a zoom...it's still the one lens.

So why wait so long?
Well I thought if others wish to join me then September will have something for us all. Us Southerners will be witnessing the onset of spring and Northerners the start of autumn.

Also I thought this would allow time enough to gauge how many others are interested and work out the space and boundaries of the challenge. For instance, if there are only a few of us, then we can simply post on a thread. If there are more we may need to ask Adam how the growing diary albums can be hosted....and if the Forum is still the best place for it? If there is interest I'm happy to work with the moderators during August to ready the space for our personal accounts and photos of the month.

And hey...
I suppose at the end of the day, if we fail to beat the addiction, we will certainly have done some thorough lens testing with solid empirical evidence that will be a legacy for coming generations

So that's it in a nutshell. Now I'm looking forward to hearing whether anyone else is up for the challenge.

For the record, my single in September will be the DA35/2.8.

EDIT:

Let's make a collective album for this.
First, join this social group: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/group.php?do=join&groupid=102
Then, add your personal Single in September album to the group's collective album: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/group.php?do=addpictures&groupid=102

07-26-2010, 12:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I support this and I will try to join in september. Sounds like fun. Not sure it will help with LBA though...

I fight LBA like this: sold all SDM, try to sell all the others, bought FA trio, stopped buying lenses. (ok, I am eyeing a Tammy 28-75 for the times that I will not be able to bring the trio )
07-26-2010, 12:40 PM   #3
Banned

I like the idea. Now to get the Missus to approve the one lens I'd like to use.. DA15. By waiting until Sept I might have a chance..
07-26-2010, 12:50 PM   #4

I like this, so I'll try to participate. Not sure about taking a picture every single day though. And do you fail if you're asked to do some shoot for somebody else for which you need another lens? Ah well, I'll just go for it. Now to decide between DA21 and A50/1.7...

07-26-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No the single lens is for therapeutic purposes only You, of course, can use other lens day-to-day, it's about reserving time for that one lens and showing us all what you and it are capable of....and that you are truly bonding I suppose it's a measure to help address the tendency to flit around, finding some reason that the lens on hand just ain't good enough and that if you only had the XX-version, SDM, a different FoV, etc. then, and only then, would life be complete

No, the one photo every day is mandatory! Otherwise we find ourselves back on that slippery slope... We buy lenses to take photos, not take photos to buy lenses. This austere measure will ensure we stay focused on the reason why we are all here
07-26-2010, 01:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

i'm in SMC Tak 105. Does adding a Raynox count?
07-26-2010, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Can I use a different lens every day in September?
And if I like the idea, can I continue into October and November?

07-26-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Just to be safe, should somebody who wants to participate purchase a new lens between now and September to use?
07-26-2010, 01:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great idea!

I'm out!
07-26-2010, 01:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Just to be safe, should somebody who wants to participate purchase a new lens between now and September to use?
I like it Mike! Go crazy on the LBA now, cycling through as many lenses as you can through August, then come September...WHAM...cold turkey! Now that's dedication!
07-26-2010, 01:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Great idea! Maybe I'll pick a lens that I still haven't figure out yet, like the 10-17 FE zoom....
07-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #12
Banned

18-250 is the obvious choice!!!!
07-26-2010, 02:05 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Good idea except that I also suffer from CBA and shoot with several cameras

Steve
07-26-2010, 06:46 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Ah, one lens at a time...
Is this a good exercise? Yes.
Do I want to cure my LBA? No.
Hey, two more 50's arrived today.
The Pentacon 50/1.8 has a bad iris.
The Yashinon-DX 50/1.7 looks splendid.
In a couple days, a SMC-M50/1.7 will arrive.
And not very long after that, a nice M50/2, too.
And maybe not long after that, a Micro-Nikkor 55/3.5.
All of these beauties deserve moments in the spotlight.
Long, lingering moments of adventure and experimentation.
I will not deny them their rights. To do so would be un-Pentaxian.
Also, I just can't abide wasted idle glass. So many lenses, so little time.

Last edited by RioRico; 07-26-2010 at 08:30 PM.
07-26-2010, 07:15 PM   #15
Inactive Account

i'm in- macro or not macro, hmmmmm

i'm going to commit with a 50mm1.7 with a 2xmacro teleconverter, will have to get real creative as I live in the middle of a city with no garden

or if I get a 135mm in the next week or so i'll go with that