Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
08-06-2010, 02:28 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Intersesting concept every day eh that will be the real challenge. Maybe I use the discrete 50-500 Got some time to decide , but interested for sure

08-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #47
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stillshunter Quote
Great to hear a few others are up for the challenge. As time draws near it's not so much the sticking to one lens that will be my issue, but the discipline of taking a meaningful photo each day - rain, hail, laziness or shine.

I've been speaking with Adam and his suggestion for hosting "Single in September" is:

So interested folks need only create an Album called "Single in September" in readiness of the challenge.

The beauty of this option is that album entries allow for a photo title as well as a description - so we can relay a little of the frustrations as we go along...and I can see these certainly kicking in around Day 10 In addition, all EXIF is automatically retrieved and displayed - so we can be sure each photo is from a separate 24 hours. I'm sure none of us is in the business of cheating OURSELVES now

So if everyone's comfortable with this then please just let me know and I'll signal the green light to Adam. Otherwise, if you can see some room for refinement please post over the next few days so we are all ready for kick-off on Sept 1. Also this will give time enough to organise a mail-out a few days previous to the event just to get us all primed (pardon the pun).

Again, great to have a others on-board. I, for one, have been showing considerable restraint with use of the DA35....just to keep me fresh (read as "avoiding any temptation to fault the lens and visit the Marketplace to refine my option") for the event
Well so it looks like it's time to create my first album here good idea IMO and I think it'll be real challenge to shoot meaningful shots for 30 days with one lens. I'n definitely in!
08-08-2010, 06:23 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
While I have to say - I really don't think I suffer the LBA syndrome any longer (in remission) This is a really great way to get to know the lens! I've challenged myself with similar task on few occasions, but usually for "one week, one lens", so this would be a little stretch for me...

I'm in - Lensbaby Composer for me. I use Lensbaby 2.0 quite a bit, but this one always left behind, so maybe it is tome to learn how to love it?

Regards,
D
08-08-2010, 10:12 PM   #49
Veteran Member

LBA Therapy

You are making it easy. If I just have to use a particular lens (but not exclusively) each day for month. The part that I've found difficult is taking a photo a day. I am more of a natural every-other-day type shooter. Even for a month, a photo a day gets old after 30 days. The two times I've done a POD for a month, I've been glad when it was over.
I am not sure this is a cure for LBA. I have a theory about LBA though...I think it is cured when you are completely saturated. Different folks have different levels to get there. For some photographers 10 or more 50mm primes is not too many. Some only need one.
To make more of a challenge for me I'd have to use the 43ltd. I've owned that lens for years and haven't used it much at all. It just never inspired me. But I think I'd rather have a love affair with the 77ltd instead. My new(ish) 15mm would be a challenge. hmmmm...decisions, decisions. Glad I have a couple weeks to think about it.

08-10-2010, 01:18 AM   #50
Veteran Member

I'm in - I'll likely use my Mamiya 80mm 2.8 with home brew permanent K mount adapter. After all, I rigged this thing up months ago and I still haven't used it for anything more than test shots.
08-10-2010, 07:59 PM   #51
Forum Member

ok noob question... what is LBA? I'm almost afraid to ask...
08-10-2010, 08:02 PM   #52
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MountainCat Quote
ok noob question... what is LBA? I'm almost afraid to ask...
HMM would this be "Lens Buying Addiction"?

No matter... I'm in for this!

Last edited by MountainCat; 08-10-2010 at 08:02 PM. Reason: more info
08-13-2010, 10:51 AM   #53
Veteran Member

I would love to join in with a film camera, but I definitely will not be able to shoot a whole roll per day to post a picture on a daily basis. Are infrequent album updates complies with a challange?
08-13-2010, 11:18 AM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsukiouji Quote
I would love to join in with a film camera, but I definitely will not be able to shoot a whole roll per day to post a picture on a daily basis. Are infrequent album updates complies with a challange?
I think it is up to each of us to understand the spirit of the challenge - get out and shoot something every day - and the side benefit of getting to know one lens very well.

Or maybe its get to know a lens - and a side benefit of getting out to shoot every day.

My take is, aside from
  1. one lens and
  2. daily shooting
the "rules" are whatever you need them to be in order to do 1. and 2.

If you feel three composed film shots a day or (roughly) a 24-exp. roll a week is enough, and you only post to the album 4 times in the month, I'd say go for it! If you can only do a 36-exp. roll in 30 days (at least 1 each day) and post to your album at the end, so what? Who's going to reject your effort?
08-13-2010, 12:38 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tsukiouji Quote
Yeah I'll have to post some 'rules' previous to the challenge. However, monochrome is spot on. There aren't too many hard-and-fast rules here, so really the 'rules' will end up being more guidance for the challenge. From my perspective, it is a personal challenge that we go through together. So when it comes down to it the only person you're fooling if you transgress the spirit of the challenge is yourself. Now that I've finished sounding like my mum. :ugh:

Let's start developing this guidance (thanks to monochrome for the leg up):

For the 30 days of September:
1. thou shalt nominate one lens,
2. thou shalt take at least one photo each day with this lens,
3. thou shalt post results, whenever possible, to an Album entitled "Single in September". Photo is a must, text is optional (but be nice to have a running diary going)
4. thou shalt not covet another man's lens.

Anything else that needs to be added, subtracted or refined?

So, bottom line, I'd prefer that the challenge is opened up to as many people as possible (just because I'm looking forward to trespassing on Commandment 4 come October ...sort of like Lent and chocolate for any Catholics out there). I don't expect that we can process our (film or digital) images daily. So I'd just ask that we do so as soon as possible. I will endeavour to upload as regularly as I can, just so my thoughts on taking the specific shot are still fresh in mind. It will also help us all feel that we are not alone in our time of suffering Who am I kidding, I just want September to get here so I can get started.

Meanwhile, looking forward to others input.
08-13-2010, 01:27 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey: My immediate reaction to your moniker is ALWAYS to wonder if you are looking for Steven Stills tickets

Nice explanation of the spirit of this event - thank you for a broad definition of shooting and posting (and the +1 to me even though I clearly hijacked your thread and Challenge - just wasn't thinking when I replied ).

I laughed out loud when I read the 4th Commandment - then I laughed again! (forgive me my trespasses . . . )

I think you've got all the guidance we need - let's see how our posters interpret the "rules" and implement the Challenge!

Last edited by monochrome; 08-13-2010 at 05:44 PM.
08-15-2010, 04:36 AM   #57
axl
Veteran Member

OK,

I'm ready. My album is up and lens of my choice is K50/1.2

one Q though. How will we see the pics of all users who take part???

P
08-16-2010, 12:18 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Great question Axl!

I threw it to the Brains Trust...and this is what Adam came back with:

QuoteQuote:
Assuming that everyone will uniformly include "Single in September" somewhere in their album name, all of the albums will be visible here
So the system seems to rely on everyone's adherence to Commandment 3: "thou shalt post results, whenever possible, to an Album entitled "Single in September"" The consistency in Album title will enable Adam and crew to group photos under a commons area.

Thanks again for the preparatory question...can't wait to see what the fastest 50 is capable of......oh jeez this doesn't bode well for my Marketplace browsing come October
08-16-2010, 01:01 PM   #59
Veteran Member

I'm game.
One lens, one photo taken with that lens posted everyday in an album entitled Single in September.
Seems simple enough.
At this point, I am going with the Zenitar 16mm.
I can't wait to see everybody else's pictures.
08-16-2010, 04:46 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm definitely in - all the little accessories for Composer came in: filters, extension for the hood mounting, hood, pinch cap... I love ebay, all the goodies, including Tiffen closeup filter set and shipping under $20. The composer is now fully outfitted to tackle most subjects! Looking forward to get acquainted with the lens (at last)!

And speaking of "last" - this was the last purchase for couple months!

Regards,
D