Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
09-01-2010, 08:47 PM   #136
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looking forward to seeing them, just upload when you can.

09-01-2010, 09:19 PM   #137
Veteran Member

Got yelled at and scolded by a neighbor my family has known personally for 15 years while trying to get my first shot for this challenge of a large fire that could be seen from a small grass field a hundred feet from my house (live in the suburbs). Half of it is owned by them and the other half by another person we've known for 15 years. Apparently his wife (who hates me some reason ) thought there was a stranger on her yard and it "scared her." This is despite the fact that she has seen me almost everyday for 15 years and I had a tripod with camera in hand. So that fire shot didn't happen so I just went in the backyard and took some shots

We can have more than one a day uploaded right?
09-02-2010, 12:26 AM   #138
axl
Veteran Member

some great shots from day 1. Keep them coming guys!
09-02-2010, 01:36 AM   #139
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would like to join the challenge with the DA 60-250. I got everything from 100mm and down covered by primes so this baby does not get the attention it deserves. I would like to use this month in the spirit of getting to know the +100mm focal length better and attempt to master lugging it around. Also there does not seem to be a lot of them around, though I fear that my amateurish hands might fail to rectify that by the end of the month :-)

Here goes nothing

Last edited by Zorglub; 09-02-2010 at 08:13 AM.
09-02-2010, 03:17 AM   #140

Decided to join in after all, but timing could have been better. Yesterday (sep 1st), I picked up a K-x with Sigma 17-70, DA55-300, and FA50/1.4... So much for this being LBA therapee. Anyway, since I didn't notice anyone else using it, I'm using my DA21ltd here. I guess that's an easy choice since it's my favourite lens, but all my others were taken already
09-02-2010, 04:19 AM   #141
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just uploaded my first two pics. Sorry I haven't replied to your pm Mark but we have been without an internet connection for a few days. I will contact you soon.

Cheers,
Sam
09-02-2010, 04:29 AM   #142
Veteran Member

I want to echo axl's post.
Some good stuff on Day 1.
Let's see what Day 2 brings.

Last edited by Jools; 09-02-2010 at 04:30 AM. Reason: clarification
09-02-2010, 06:15 AM   #143
mdf
Inactive Account

Well I've got a strategy: first try to shoot something useful in the early morning, but that's not gonna be "a really good shot", it's usually a detail of something in the surroundings, then wait until evening to see if something better comes.
I'm not here to cure lba but because I think this game could be a real boost to my photographic eye (or lack of it !).
I mean surely there are plenty of photographic possibilities around all of us, but we first have to be prepared to see them, and I normally don't.
09-02-2010, 12:12 PM   #144
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I agree the photos from Day One have been top shelf! I really think some decent single lens portfolios will be in existence come October. Of course, this will do nothing to help my LBA in a few weeks time.

I'm glad others are enjoying this as much as I am. At first I thought this was going to be a pretty big chore, but making sure the camera is with me for periods throughout the day is great. I know there will be some who will read this and go "umm, yeah well aint that why you're into photography?". I suppose they are right, but life is sometimes about agreeing with people, nodding your head because it sounds right, until the day you go "Ohhh NOW I get it!!".

The long and short of it - I hope as many that started do finish. Guys I know it's going to be rough but I think it will be worth it in the end.

Casil403:Please take as many shots as you want with that one lens. The objective being to upload one per day and hopefully one that is unique and demonstrates what can be achieved with that single piece of glass. The more you take the more you enjoy the task of picking just one to post on the Album. Great thing is I'm finding that I'm building a portfolio outside of the one posted image.
jheu02:Mate I'm certainly not precious about this challenge. I got the ball rolling but am more than happy to run along with it and the group as it twists, turns and bounces its way down the hill Having said all that you're reply to Casil403 was spot-on. I also appreciate your additional thoughts on learning the quirks and capabilities of that one lens. Great point!
yeatzee: Mate I know this was not suppose to be a humorous story, but the way you told it, had me chuckling the way through. Great yarn! Yes mate please upload whenever you get the opportunity...and that can be as long as you need, as you'll notice some other folks with Albums who have posted nothing so far....well many are using film and will batch load once the dev and scan is done.
mdf: Great approach! Again makes for a hard choice picking just one at day's end but builds a nice portfolio....and I agree now that I'm in the process it is a lot about getting your eye in or finding your voice, but the discipline of loyalty to a lens helps ....as it discounts the option of blaming lens choice on the lost shot. The focus goes back on the one pressing the buttons.

Sorry if I missed anyone, and apologies for the long post.

Again very much enjoying this experience with you all so far...
09-02-2010, 03:07 PM   #145
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Got yelled at and scolded by a neighbor my family has known personally for 15 years while trying to get my first shot for this challenge of a large fire that could be seen from a small grass field a hundred feet from my house (live in the suburbs).
Amazing. Some people lack all perspective.

QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
Here is the site for the project:

Pool of Possibilities
Thanks for posting that. The collection really is impressive, it's a pity he didn't get to enjoy its live showing. The dedication in the work really shows: "Hmm, it's raining in Autumn, better get to out and shoot the rain hitting the leaves at the bottom of the pool."
09-02-2010, 03:50 PM   #146
Veteran Member

Wanted to say Thank you for this challenge!

Not only I'm getting to know the lens - what it can do, it's strong sides, it's weaknesses and appropriate application to the subject, but also learning a great deal about B&W! It almost seems that I have to forget about seeing in color and concentrate on seeing the different tones of the scene/subject, and that is quite different from anything I'm use to.

I enjoy the B&W capture capabilities of K20D while still shooting in RAW, it gives me immediate feedback of what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong.

Enjoying this experience with one lens a great deal, and I hope you do to!

Regards,
D
09-02-2010, 05:58 PM   #147
Banned

After only two days I'm already having a great time looking for subjects and playing with the lens. I'm also completely surprised at how good the little 50F2 does on the K-x. I may be a day or two behind in posting the photos but I'm going to continue in the quest..
09-02-2010, 11:13 PM   #148

Photos: Gallery
Yesterday Creativity sparked in me, tried a to shoot through a bunch of glasses. It did not result in a usable pic but it was something new for me nontheless.

Did not come home yet to upload day 2 (party all night!), but i do have the feeling that i already got something for day 3 (on the way from party to work). I should shoot more often in the morning.
09-02-2010, 11:26 PM   #149
Veteran Member

It's great fun looking through the albums, but is there a way to be notified of any comments? I guess that by day 10+ it will get tiresome to traverse them all.
09-02-2010, 11:59 PM   #150
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zorglub Quote
It's great fun looking through the albums, but is there a way to be notified of any comments? I guess that by day 10+ it will get tiresome to traverse them all.
Zorglub, I agree, it's already a big chore. I was unaware that I wouldn't be notified of comments on my pics, for that matter, because I am notified of the comments that go to the pics I submitted for the Aug 15 Pentax Day.

I to am very impressed with the photos I've seen. Thanks for kicking this off, Stillshunter.