QuoteOriginally posted by mdf Quote
We all struggle sometimes, so I found this quote:

Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop – Ansel Adams
that is a nice rule to go by... looks like he knows what he was on about

09-08-2010, 07:27 AM   #227
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
sorry

Rats I just realized that the POD started this month. I've been really under the weather and forgot all about this exercise that I was looking forward to. I uploaded some images off a card yesterday and realized I hadn't taken any photos since the 31st of last month which isn't like me at all. Let alone using only one specific lens. The only reason I even uploaded the cards in my cameras was because I took first day photos of my youngest son going to school yesterday. I'm just posting this to appologise for not joining in, and to be sure to get e-mail alerts so I can follow you all! Good luck.
09-08-2010, 01:00 PM   #228
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Rats I just realized that the POD started this month. I've been really under the weather and forgot all about this exercise that I was looking forward to. I uploaded some images off a card yesterday and realized I hadn't taken any photos since the 31st of last month which isn't like me at all. Let alone using only one specific lens. The only reason I even uploaded the cards in my cameras was because I took first day photos of my youngest son going to school yesterday. I'm just posting this to appologise for not joining in, and to be sure to get e-mail alerts so I can follow you all! Good luck.
Week 1 Confessional
Mate it is a shame that you missed this month's get together. I, for one, can certainly attest to it being a challenge!! However, and again only from my perspective, once I dig a little deeper, past the frustration, this last week has been very enlightening.

The chosen lens is fine. What it is hitting home is the fact that it's the photographer who needs the attention. It has made me conscious that in previous inspirational-lull periods that it is easy to blame it on not having the right kit. So rather than pushing through the block and looking a little deeper or a little more sideways at a scene, I'd hop on the Internet and look at what others are producing......sounds healthy in theory. However, truth be told I'd look at a shot in awe and rather than look more deeply at why and how the photo resonates with me, I look deeper into the EXIF data and try and discover what lens they've used, then research that lens, the best price, etc....meanwhile the moments, as well as the reason for photographing in the first place, are passing me by just outside the field of view offered by eBay, Dimitrov's pages, PF reviews, etc.... So in this respect the challenge is addressing some root causes of my LBA.

I know a few others are of a similar opinion and others again are enjoying the discipline and have mentioned carrying the exercise on with a Single in October. So maybe just keep your eyes on the post. Meanwhile, I hope you enjoy the Photo Albums, and might still provide comments to inspire and help refine our eyes for the next few weeks.
09-08-2010, 01:21 PM   #229
mdf
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I would like to apologize for not commenting on many pictures that I find really interesting, that's mainly because my english is a bit rusty, hope to get better at that.

And I agree with what you just wrote, stillshunter.

09-08-2010, 01:41 PM   #230
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
I would like to apologize for not commenting on many pictures that I find really interesting, that's mainly because my english is a bit rusty, hope to get better at that.
Mate please don't let that stop you commenting. Folks are happy enough letting me comment on their photos even with my meagre grasp of the language of 'Photography' - well at least I THINK they don't mind.

Please do offer comment. Might be a good chance to practice your English. Otherwise, feel free to post on my photos in Italian...but I anticipate my responses will not be a shadow on your English
09-08-2010, 02:11 PM   #231
wjt
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
where are those times.......???? 3hrs commuting.
I shall remember this next time i feel shitty about the 2 hours i spend driving to and from work. 3 hours of commute is horrid.

And back on topic, not been able to upload for some reason the website seems to time out on the upload. Will try again tonight or tomorrow night.
This has been a challenge to my meagre skill set, and it has made me get out and take shots i wouldn't normally take, and although not many of them work out the way i wanted I am getting better at critiquing what i have done and thinking of ways i want to retry some shots. There was one a couple of days ago through the mist a tad after sunrise that when i get the same conditions again i think i will get capture quite well.
It would also help my days when i get back to the computer and don't like anything if my puppy was photogenic, but as soon as i point my camera towards her, she goes mental barking at it and running about. I am not convinced the vet would give her drugs so i can photograph her
09-08-2010, 02:25 PM   #232

I really getting used to the challenge now, images compose in my head as i walk along of something interesting and i have the feeling that an invisible frame of 50mm-FOV is hovering in front of me.
I'm also starting to reinterpret a sight more often instead of simply dismissing it ("meh, need Lens-XY for reproducing this").
However, i don't think that i'm cured from LBA yet ... especially with all those sample image gallerys around this challenge.

09-08-2010, 03:20 PM   #233
Banned

Thanks for all of the comments. I'm always shy about commenting but giving it a shot as I realize that someone out there is commenting my my stuff as well. I'm impressed at what is coming from this contest. I hope that everyone else is learning as much as I am. I'm learning that I'm going to be getting more primes..
09-08-2010, 05:24 PM   #234
Veteran Member

Ok... here's an idea... to still curb LBA... since I want that lensbaby now and someone else wants my 500mm and I am sure someone wants that 50 1.2 or the various other lens... we will arrange a giant lens swap... call it New-to-me in November and do this all over!!!
09-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #235
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshunter Quote
Week 1 Confessional
...others again are enjoying the discipline and have mentioned carrying the exercise on with a Single in October.
What!? Single in October. The way I'm carrying on this month, my wife is sure to leave me and I WILL be Single in October.
09-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #236
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jools Quote
What!? Single in October. The way I'm carrying on this month, my wife is sure to leave me and I WILL be Single in October.
I solved that... she is getting my kx... I have not mentioned that I want the K5 to replace it... maybe not well she is 7 months prego
09-08-2010, 06:07 PM   #237
Veteran Member

Well, congrats are in order to you both.
09-09-2010, 01:23 AM   #238
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have uploaded my last 2 days pics - now to leave some evil comments for other participants in their albums
09-09-2010, 06:55 AM   #239
Site Supporter

I'm caught up to yesterday.
09-09-2010, 09:42 AM   #240
Veteran Member

A few thoughts on the 10-17 FE

So I have to say that this challenge has led me to discover what a sweet lens this fish eye is...wow, I am impressed with its performance so far. It is tack sharp, which surprises me, and at the longer end (17mm) the curve is quite minimal which makes for really nice wide angle shots. I find I am liking it about mid-range when I can get the best of both worlds, a bit of bend and wide angle and it works just freaking fabulous for abstracts.
I am actually starting to look forward to shooting with it every day as it is way more versatile than I had imagined.
Funny, there is so much info out there about the reasons not to buy one (it's a "Trick" lens, limited use, gimmicky, no one likes the effect etc.) and I was discouraged from buying it a couple of times but in all honesty I think I will use this lens so much more now than I had previously.