Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2010, 06:51 PM   #151
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1st is an Oriental Pepper (ornamental but edible and very hot, purple peppers). Notice the tiny ant inside. Flower is probably 1/2" to maybe 3/4" across. The second unopened flowers are from very small weed's (I guess). They are between 1/32" and 1/16" wide when closed like here. Used the onboard flash on the pepper shot, so it's a little harsh as I wasn't expecting to shoot this and didn't have anything handy to diffuse the light with. The weed was taken with the camera resting on the ground and 2" timer.

SMC-Pentax 1:1.8 55mm w/ 31mm tube @f/11 or 13.

Attached Images

10-11-2010, 08:14 PM   #152
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Still a few wildflowers out, these are both smaller than a dime:

Great shots Tom! I guess from time to time we all have a few bugs to work out.....
10-13-2010, 01:31 AM   #153
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tiny flowers

QuoteOriginally posted by jonhock Quote
Great shots! The 2nd photo puts me in mind of the wildflower that I posted a little further up on this page. Yours has 6 petals though where mine only has five. You didn't happen to catch the name of it at the Gardens did you?
Hi Jonhock

Nope, did not, but can do so next time I am at the botanical gardens mentioned. I go there regularly and will find out. I am not good at remembering names so will take pen and paper with me

But will only be next month, as I am in Malawi for the month of October.

Cheerio

Noel
10-13-2010, 02:10 AM   #154
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tiny flowers

These are some from Malawi.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
10-15-2010, 07:28 PM   #155
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jonhock Quote
Great shots Tom! I guess from time to time we all have a few bugs to work out.....
Very clever Stan!

Took this tiny wildflower tonight with an M42 Mamiya-Sekor 55/1.4 on the K20D, 1:1 crop:
Name:  Wildflower20101015_0074.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  105.6 KB
10-16-2010, 08:55 AM   #156
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

John, that's some vivid purple on that pepper flower. Nice shot. TFS

Noel, those first ones, are they Lantana? The flowers look like my Lantana blossoms. And I really like that last one. Do you know what it is?

Tom, nice little flower. Do you know what it is called?

I have a few I took yesterday.
The first one is Purslane, one of my sister's plants. It's flower is numerous and small. 3/8 inch across.

This next one is in the Dandelion family, I think. This is about 1/4 inch across.

And last, the Wandering Jew flower: 1/2 inch across.
10-16-2010, 06:44 PM   #157
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Tom, nice little flower. Do you know what it is called?
Sorry Mar, no idea, one of the few wildflowers still blooming in the woods it was in. All three of those are nice, but I really like that wandering jew!

10-16-2010, 06:53 PM   #158
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks Tom. I am glad you like the Jew flower. Though the color is off on it. These are a pale purple and all I could get was pink. I don't understand why the color shifts so much as I shoot RAW. Could be the flash I used, which is onboard, though diffused with homemade diffuser. I'm hoping next month to get an off board flash unit.
10-17-2010, 11:56 AM   #159
Veteran Member

I took a few of some even smaller flowers, but alas, focus was off, lol, damn my old eyes !!!

10-17-2010, 08:18 PM   #160
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Took these this evening on a walk. I had seen a sundog earlier, but didn't have my camera (that'll learn me ). Anywho, not sure what these are, but they remind me of German Chamomile, though these are growing wild in a field near a pond. Two different views and loved the bokeh that resulted from the shallow DOF. The flowers are about 1/2" maybe 3/4" fully opened, but much smaller starting out.

SMC-Pentax 1:1.8 55mm w/ 31mm tube @ f/11, 1/5", ISO 640

SMC-Pentax 1:1.8 55mm w/ 31mm tube @ f/11, 1.3", ISO100

Last edited by jheu02; 10-17-2010 at 08:27 PM. Reason: wrong lens info
10-18-2010, 02:23 AM   #161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Noel, those first ones, are they Lantana? The flowers look like my Lantana blossoms. And I really like that last one. Do you know what it is?"

Hi Mar

Not sure what they are, excep that they are pretty, and therefore I like them, and add them to my growing collection of photos of flowers. Still in Malawi and will try and find out what they are-hopefully indigeneous.

Like yours too? Any idea why they are called "wandering Jews"? Its got me and spending some grey matter thinking about it.

Other photos too are great here. I am encouraged to continue with my collection when I see these here.

Have a great day everyone!

Noel
10-18-2010, 06:01 AM   #162
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

After your question, I did some digging and found out my "wandering jew" is not a true wandering jew but a cousin of that plant. Mine is called a Purple Heart. Though it does wander, and it propagates the same as a wandering jew (pinch off a leaf and place in the ground it will grow), it's common name is Purple Heart and it's in this Family: Commelinaceae (spiderwort Family). Also, some common names include:
Common Names: purple heart, purple queen, purple-heart tradescantia.
Information taken from here:
Floridata: Tradescantia pallida
10-18-2010, 06:40 AM   #163
Veteran Member

Need Pete's microscope for these, from sand bar on mississippi river that has
been flooded for much of last year, with water levels down, things start blooming.
whole plant is app. 1.5 cm.tall, each flower about 1/8 inch,3mm in diameter.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
10-18-2010, 04:02 PM   #164
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Thanks Tom. I am glad you like the Jew flower. Though the color is off on it. These are a pale purple and all I could get was pink. I don't understand why the color shifts so much as I shoot RAW. Could be the flash I used, which is onboard, though diffused with homemade diffuser. I'm hoping next month to get an off board flash unit.
Mar, Did you try lowering the temperature (usually sliding the temperature to the left) while working with the raw file? I know using a flash can really affect your white balance.
10-18-2010, 05:31 PM   #165
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks Tom, I'll try that.