Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 891 Likes Search this Thread
04-01-2011, 07:19 AM   #256
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
The leaves tell me that's a form of Sorrel, but I don't know which one. I just shot Yellow and Violet Wood Sorrel yesterday, not enough time to upload right now. Leaves of both look just like that, similar to clover, but mostly green, sometimes with purplish fringing.

04-01-2011, 03:04 PM   #257
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Thanks for the info, Eric. Here's another shot of the second one, taken in late November. Seems to be a hardy little thing, stands up to the hot Texas sun as long as it gets watered. Not sure how well those M&M blossoms could handle that
Ah ! Much easier with the foliage ! That would be " Oxalis " Or " Purple Shamrock" for the generic term. I love that stuff. Easy to raise and spreads like mad.

Spring time is coming along nicely down there. Nice shots !

I'm having difficulty Identifying that MnM variety
Eric
04-01-2011, 05:14 PM   #258
Veteran Member

Eric..

QuoteOriginally posted by erkie Quote
I'm having difficulty Identifying that MnM variety Eric
They normally grow around areas like Winn Dixie, or Weis Markets.
Hope this helps
04-01-2011, 06:38 PM   #259
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jonhock Quote
They normally grow around areas like Winn Dixie, or Weis Markets.
Hope this helps
I'll bet they taste better than Nasturtium Too !

Eric

04-05-2011, 01:47 PM   #260
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think some of you people have way too much time on your hands...

Finally got a chance to try and post a couple of the recent tiny flower shots I've taken. Not many uploaded yet, I seem to have been getting a few nice bird shots recently and have been concentrating on those, but still looking for and shooting tiny flowers as often as possible.

This one is Birdseye Speedwell, taken a few weeks ago. About the size of the shutter button on my K-x. Jheu02 and I both posted shots of a smaller variety on the previous page (17). That one is smaller than a pencil eraser, this one is definitely a different variety, and barely bigger than an eraser, but looks almost identical, with a couple of minor differences like the petal coloration and detail...

Click image to view larger size.

Red Clover, one of the biggest I'll post in this thread. Dime size cluster of tiny flowers.

Most of these are not in my reference books, I don't know why but very few tiny flowers are listed...so I have no idea what this is...but it's half the size of a pencil eraser, about 1/8 inch wide. The entire cluster including unopened flowers is barely bigger than an eraser.

Same for this one, unidentified and very tiny, 1/8 inch wide when fully opened. The leaf to the right with a hole in it is barely a half inch long.

One of the legumes (pea family) growing here, related to the yellow legume I posted on page 17. This one is a bit bigger, maybe 3/8 inch tall, barely bigger than a pencil eraser. The yellow one is 1/4 inch.

Another of the larger ones, I think this one is Texas Toadflax, a little smaller than a dime, maybe 1/2 inch wide at most. These are growing everywhere I look right now, I took this shot just before dark and was able to get the black background to come out pretty nice. SMC Pentax A 50mm and Vivitar 285 HV Zoom Thyristor flash. Camera set at f22 and flash set on 1/16 power, folded envelope used to reflect flash downward onto the flower. This same flash method was used for most of the previous pictures, camera on either f16 or f22. I don't use a flash often, but overcast weather has made it necessary most of the time for the past 2-3 weeks.

04-05-2011, 03:12 PM   #261
Veteran Member

WOW Pete ! Those shots are really nice ! The first two are just awesome !

Eric
04-05-2011, 03:20 PM   #262
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks lot Eric, I like getting shots like those. And greatly appreciate the compliments.

04-05-2011, 06:17 PM   #263
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Beautiful tiny flowers you guys are finding. I haven't had time to hunt for tinies this month. I know they are out there, and I'll take my new K-x out when I go next week. I've got a off board flash coming this week or next and I'm sure it will help a lot in my photographying those tiniest flowers.
04-06-2011, 10:17 AM   #264
Veteran Member

Original Poster
photolady - Add on flash does help, but it sits too high and does not light the flowers for my binocuolar lens rig, so I have to hold a folded envelope and reflect it downward. Mine also has adjustable power levels, I usually use 1/4 power and f22.
04-06-2011, 12:02 PM   #265
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I made a diffuser / extender for the onboard flash, and I made one for an off board flash too. I might modify the bigger one so the flash actually hits the flower. Shouldn't be too hard a task for me to do.
04-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #266
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Shot this little one at my sister's house in her backyard today:

04-07-2011, 08:26 PM   #267
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's another view of a yard weed. The whole cluster is pencil eraser diameter or smaller, individiual petals 1/32" - 1/16" wide I guess. x-posted in bokeh.

Vivitar 28mm 1:2.8 + 31mm tube at f/16
04-08-2011, 11:24 PM   #268
Veteran Member

Finally...

I've been keeping my eye out and finally found a "Tiny Flower". Remember the saying "But wait, there's more"? When I got done shooting the lavander flowers I took one last shot of the hybiscus(?) that was there too.
These are right down the street at a neighbor's and I didn't have far to go which is a good thing considering what I found when I came home and threw the photos up on my computer screen. I was so intent on the lavender ones (about 5mm) that I didn't even see the blue ones (less than
2mm)!
In the first photo you can see a little speck of blue all the way to the right side of the photo.

Anyway, here they are....
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo   
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo     
04-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #269
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The first couple of shots of the lavender ones are Henbit. I don't recognize the blue ones. Henbit grows here year round, I saw blooms this winter covered with thick frost and ice crystals. Unfortunately my 50mm, binocular lens and in fact entire camera bag was back at the house 5 miles away...so I Missed a really cool shot. Next day they were defrosted and blooming like nothing ever happened.
04-11-2011, 07:20 PM   #270
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Secret World Live #3

Vivitar 28/2.8 + 21mm tube @ f/16

Flower heads are ~ 1/8" - 3/16" across!