04-12-2011, 08:46 AM   #271
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums

04-12-2011, 01:41 PM   #272
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome Eda,

I like the coloring and bokeh in your shot, but for future ones you may want to set you width between 800-900 pixels for easier viewing.

Here's a scale shot of yesterday's Secret World:

Anyone know what they could be? Looks like some kind of clover to me or it's mixed in with it.
04-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #273
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jheu02 Quote
Here's a scale shot of yesterday's Secret World:

Anyone know what they could be? Looks like some kind of clover to me or it's mixed in with it.
We've got those growing here, too - I think they're called bluets - Pete would probably know. They are tiny for sure!
04-12-2011, 02:17 PM   #274
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, I think those are Bluets but not positive. Boy that picture is big...

I shoot those a lot here too, same size and a couple other ones twice that size. I think I've posted shots of all of them already. Sometimes I see just a few, sometimes a spread like the one jheu posted in the scale shot.

04-12-2011, 03:16 PM   #275
Inactive Account

04-12-2011, 09:02 PM   #276
Inactive Account

04-12-2011, 09:22 PM   #277
Veteran Member

A lighter shade of pale...

JeffJS

I finally know what kind of flower somebody is shooting! I owe it all to the high knowledgeability here at the forums. (and Pete)
Mine are just on the last page before this and they are a lighter shade.
Now, I can understand why I'm HenBit(I've been married a loong time) Oops, I mean I have them along the back of our flower patch out front. Pete knew what they were right off the bat. Seems like a ground cover/weed type of thing I guess they must be all over the place-kinda like an alien invasion.....

04-13-2011, 07:48 AM   #278
Forum Member

"Found" these in the back garden over the weekend.. anyone know what they are?

04-13-2011, 09:21 AM   #279
Inactive Account

04-13-2011, 06:14 PM   #280
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mplatt1903 Quote
"Found" these in the back garden over the weekend.. anyone know what they are?

Looks a bit like ANAGALLIS . But I'd have to see the foliage to be sure.

Eric
04-13-2011, 09:38 PM   #281
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's one I can't ID - it grows in clusters near the ground & has very small 5-petal blossoms. I used an M50/1.7 with a Vivitar 3x TC for this shot.

04-14-2011, 08:53 AM   #282
Veteran Member

Original Poster
mplatt - Yours happens to be in one of my books, most tiny flowers are not. It's called Blue Gilia, Gilia Rigidula for those who like proper names. Grows in Texas too, it's in a Texas wildflowers book.

emetcalf - That pinkish one looks a lot like a wild onion, but I Can't be sure. If it is, it will have a bulb below ground just like an onion and will smell like one. If so, it's edible but be careful. False Garlic resembles wild onion and is poisonous. The onion smell is what to look for, false garlic does not smell like an onion and the blooms are different once you get to know both. I have some pictures, false garlic is small enough to make it in this thread, I"ll see if I have any I can post but it may be a couple of days, won't have much time and have to go to Texas this weekend to do a benefit gig for a friend with cancer and in really bad shape. Should be fun, he's our old band leader and I haven't played onstage with those guys on almost 10 years. Really looking forward to it.
04-14-2011, 09:03 AM   #283
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
mplatt - Yours happens to be in one of my books, most tiny flowers are not. It's called Blue Gilia, Gilia Rigidula for those who like proper names. Grows in Texas too, it's in a Texas wildflowers book.
Oo interesting! We know them as Forget-me-not's over here - I wonder if they are a variant or something. I'm not much of a plant buff I'm afraid..
04-14-2011, 10:02 AM   #284
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You are correct, my mistake. After reading your post I looked again and noticed a detail I didn't see before, no white stamen sticking up in the middle. Gilia is wrong, they are forget me nots. I looked in another book after checking your post, both are similar but I missed one detail.
04-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #285
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
You are correct, my mistake. After reading your post I looked again and noticed a detail I didn't see before, no white stamen sticking up in the middle. Gilia is wrong, they are forget me nots. I looked in another book after checking your post, both are similar but I missed one detail.
To be honest I wouldn't know the difference at all myself! My other half happened to say 'nice photo of a forget-me-not' and I thought 'so that's what they are!'