Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2010, 08:27 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Paleo Pete, this is a great idea.
Just saw this today. Marvelous. And some very nice images offered by all.
I love tiny flowers because you gotta get up close to them.

I profess my ignorance to flora. This purple flower grows wild in our yard and hummingbirds love them. It grows on a long upright stem about 3 feet tall if left untouched.

This flower was what my visiting father termed a weed when he was helping out cutting the lawn. It's small at best the size of your thumbnail. But sure is pretty, IMO.

I know this is a purple violet, the state flower of Wisconsin and I think a couple of other states.

08-01-2010, 09:36 PM   #17
Inactive Account

How about some Clusters of Tiny Flowers. Still a little bigger than a pencil eraser but these are from the Hydrangea bush in my back yard..

DFA 100mm f2.8 WR

FA31mm Limited

To give an idea of scale (note the fly). FA*200mm f2.8

08-02-2010, 01:58 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Last edited by xs400; 08-02-2010 at 02:05 PM.
08-02-2010, 02:25 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Not sure what these are, but they are actually weeds that grow in my lawn. Good think they are not that bad looking, or I may actually care that they were there.

08-03-2010, 07:59 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
WOW! some more great shots showing up here, I'm almost tempted not to post my mediocre attempts...almost..

That last yellow one posted by eccs19 is a member of the Legume family, a relative of peas. The others I can't identify, my books are not that comprehensive and concentrate mostly on the southern part of the US.

Here's one I think is a Blazing Star, but not positive. The picture in the book is taken from further away and I can't see enough detail. Each flower in the cluster is about 3/8 inch across.

This is a small white flower about the same size, 3/8 inch or so.

This blue one is about the size of a dime, always growing very close to water every time I find it.

click on each picture to view larger size image.

I guess that's it for now, I have a few more I'll have to dig up, and hope to be getting more later on. The tiniest ones are really difficult, I seem to get more noise than anything else, but I might go ahead and post the Dill blooms later anyway, they're the size of a pinhead, I figure I'm lucky to get a recognizable shot at all...I've been trying to get a decent shot of a couple more tiny white flowers the past few days, between 1/8 and 1/4 inch, so far nothing good enough to show off.

Keep 'em coming, I'm really liking the nice shots so far. Great work everyone.
08-04-2010, 04:18 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
That last yellow one posted by eccs19 is a member of the Legume family, a relative of peas. The others I can't identify, my books are not that comprehensive and concentrate mostly on the southern part of the US.
Thanks for the ID. (Like I'll remember anyways)
08-04-2010, 07:06 AM   #22
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got a couple more for this thread. The first one is a bit underexposed and tinges to green the flower. I don't yet know why this happens with white flowers surrounded by green foliage. I used a flash to try to compensate, but it didn't work. And the first one is a bit noisy.

Bleeding Heart:

A Geranium, though the whole flower is made up of tiny flowers, I took the shot of just two of them.
08-04-2010, 07:53 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I think these are blue bells.

08-04-2010, 05:31 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some really amazing images here. This is a photo of the blossoms on a spirea bush. The individual flowers are very tiny and extremely difficult (for me) to get in satisfying focus. After many attempts this is the best I could manage, I like the 3D quality.

-Joe
08-04-2010, 08:21 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Joe - I know exactly what you mean, focusing with these tiny guys gives me fits. I bet I took at least 25 of each of the last few I posted trying to get decent focus on just one. Really tiny ones like Dill that are pinhead sized are really frustrating, not only is focusing near impossible, but lots of noise creeps in too. You got a nice shot there though.

Photolady - That's another problem I have now and then, usually in bright sunlight conditions. I've seen the entire picture take on a greenish tint. More often I get a blue haze around the outlines of dark subjects like birds. I don't know how to get around the green tint, I haven't found anything that works. I think it's related to the reflection of green off of everything around it.

Matt - the bluebells look great. That's a flower I don't think grows around here, unless it's in peoples flowerbeds...

I'm impressed, I didn't think I'd see this many really small flowers, or this many people interested in them. I'm into the really small stuff, pencil eraser size or smaller, but up to dime size ones are really nice too. I never paid them much attention until I spotted one by accident, then started looking for them and was amazed how many I started to see. even clover, as many times as I've seen clover for 50 years, I never paid attention to the individual flowers...until I started to use the Samsung to get some macro shots of them...then it was...WOW...
08-04-2010, 08:57 PM   #26
Pentaxian

One more. I think this is skunk cabbage blossoms. Cool when the evening light hits them!
08-04-2010, 09:59 PM   #27
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pete when I said I tried flash, the problem I was having earlier went away to be replaced with blown out whites. I was spot metering too. It wasn't sunny where I was shooting, so I don't know what caused it. We have some red Bleeding Hearts in the backyard. I'll see if they are blooming tomorrow. And I love little bitty flowers. I found one in the backyard the other evening, it was too dark to shoot so I was going to go out the next day....my nephew decided to mow the lawn.....there went the flowers.
08-05-2010, 11:19 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I don't know the name of this domestic flower but it's really tiny, this photo is a 1:1 macro, no crop.

08-05-2010, 10:26 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Finally remembered to upload this one, the smallest subject I've ever tried, Dill blooms the size of pinheads, taken a month ago or so. (This is the same dill used to make pickles.)

Click the picture to see full size

Not the best shot ever, but one of only two I've been able to get that were even recognizable.
08-07-2010, 05:27 AM   #30
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice flowers we're getting. I have two more that I can actually name this time. Both fit this catagory. The Jew flower is about the size of a dime, and the Bleeding Heart is even smaller. The first is:

Bleeding heart in red:

And the flower from a purple Wandering Jew plant: