Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2011, 10:32 AM   #301
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's a couple shots of these tiny yellow flowers that grow in clusters all around our yard:

05-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #302
Veteran Member

And if you taste the little pickle shaped seed pod after the blooms have left they taste like a dill pickle

Eric
05-08-2011, 03:42 PM   #303
Veteran Member

Original Poster
paulh - That's Yellow Wood Sorrel, common in your area and here too. Blooms usually no bigger than about dime size. Violet Wood Sorrel grows in my yard, blooms are a little bigger, but I normally only see the yellow in other places.

I have no idea what they taste like...
05-08-2011, 03:53 PM   #304
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
paulh - That's Yellow Wood Sorrel, common in your area and here too. Blooms usually no bigger than about dime size. Violet Wood Sorrel grows in my yard, blooms are a little bigger, but I normally only see the yellow in other places.

I have no idea what they taste like...
I never thought about munching on one, but might have to give it a try These blossoms are smaller than a dime, maybe pea-size. Thanks to all for the info.

05-08-2011, 05:29 PM   #305
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
I never thought about munching on one, but might have to give it a try These blossoms are smaller than a dime, maybe pea-size. Thanks to all for the info.
Also if you let the little fruit get really ripe then just touch the pod, it bursts open and throws the little seeds quite far. It has a lemony dill like taste. Quite sour. Hence the other name for it "Oxalis" another of the shamrock family. I think some of the other sorrels share this same flavor but are not in the Oxalis family.

We always knew when the fruits ripened growing up on the dairy farm. Dill milk is not the best tasteing

Eric
05-09-2011, 05:49 AM   #306
Veteran Member

Original Poster
paulh - yeah the blooms are quite often smaller, dime size is about the biggest I see of the yellow ones. Now that erkie has mentioned it I do seem to remember my reference book writeups saying something about a tart flavor, but don't know if they are actually edible. Dill is similar, very different in appearance, but quite tart flavor. Dill blooms though are really tiny, pinhead size. I think I posted some a while back. Difficult to get a good picture of something that tiny, same as peppergrass. Both are common here and blooming right now.

I don't see as much yellow sorrel as violet, but it is pretty common here. One place I go I can get pictures of Dill, Yellow and Violet Sorrel and Peppergrass all in one location...plus other wildflowers, birds, lizards, alligators...Planning to go there today with a friend but not sure yet.
05-10-2011, 10:44 AM   #307
Site Supporter

I used to eat those all the time when I was a kid.
Tangy.......
Yummy.....

05-10-2011, 10:46 AM   #308
Site Supporter

It'll be a week or two before the wild ones start to bloom around here, so I found these in a conservatory.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
05-14-2011, 08:19 PM   #309
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Time to mow the grass, I guess...

We had a lot of rain lately and the yard kinda got away from me The good news is that I found a bunch of different tiny flowers (all over the place) that I wouldn't have found otherwise. Here's a couple I can't name but they sure are tiny
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
05-15-2011, 01:59 PM   #310
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Jonhock - Some nice shots there, I can't name any either, maybe after some digging through a few books...the yellow one looks a lot like a buttercup, but they usually have rounded petals, not pointed like these.
05-15-2011, 08:07 PM   #311
Site Supporter

More tiny yellows
Attached Images

05-15-2011, 08:16 PM   #312
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Went on a long ride today into the nearby sage covered hills and saw some tiny (and just little) flowers. I just got a SMC-M 100mm Macro so I carried it in my pack and got a few photos along the way.
These ones are in patches all over the place and they smell nice. Diameter is maybe pea-sized per flower.

These were a little less plentiful

Lots of these mini daisy looking ones

Small beginnings of an Indian paintbrush

Not really tiny anymore, but still small

Last edited by mattb123; 05-15-2011 at 09:35 PM.
05-15-2011, 08:25 PM   #313
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh yeah...

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Went on a long ride today into the nearby sage covered hills and saw some tiny (and just little) flowers. I just got a SMC-M 100mm Macro so I carried it in my pack and got a few photos along the way.
These ones are in patches all over the place and they smell nice. Diameter is maybe pea-sized per flower.

These were a little less plentiful

Lots of these mini daisy looking ones

Small beginnings of an Indian paintbrush

Not really tiny anymore, but still small

Judging by the quality and the coolness of these photos, I'd say you are getting to know your new M100 really quick and really good!
05-15-2011, 08:55 PM   #314
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jonhock Quote
Judging by the quality and the coolness of these photos, I'd say you are getting to know your new M100 really quick and really good!
Thanks!
I have shot with M lenses a little before so that part isn't new to me. This is my first real macro lens (even though it's only 2:1); I've just used a Macro focusing TC (Vivitar 2x) in the past. I'm thinking that TC with this lens would go to 1:1 so I'm planning on trying that soon.
05-31-2011, 08:01 PM   #315
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Thought I'd bump this thread up one more time. I shot this in anticipation of SiMay, but used something else.

Clover flower: