Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2011, 08:13 PM   #316
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How small are we talking in this thread?

05-31-2011, 08:27 PM   #317
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Pete the original starter of this thread stated "tiny' flowers. That's what we've tried to keep posting here, and it doesn't matter how tiny as long as you can photograph them, Matt.

Nice going so far from you. I do have to ask though, the indian paints, aren't that small fully bloomed are they?
05-31-2011, 08:42 PM   #318
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These aren't exactly tiny, maybe 1/2 to 3/4" across. I imagine they are quite common, but I don't have a clue. They only open up for a few hours in the morning. Anyone know?

Last edited by paulh; 05-31-2011 at 08:52 PM.
05-31-2011, 09:31 PM   #319
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Nice going so far from you. I do have to ask though, the indian paints, aren't that small fully bloomed are they?
This must be a question for me eh? Thanks! And no, they are a couple of inches tall when fully grown, too big to be "tiny" imo. The little yellow ones however might be the large side of tiny or perhaps merely small.
They are coming out at a little higher elevation now, maybe 8000 ft.
K-x & da40

06-01-2011, 03:47 PM   #320
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK ... Tiny means no bigger than your thumbnail, or a dime. That's actually bigger than I really wanted, but I thought it might rule out a lot of small flowers like the Dayflower that are still pretty small. Figuring that might limit the thread too much, I decided on dime size.

Tiny to me, means really small, BB or match head size. Most of the shots I've posted have been pencil eraser size or smaller, a couple around dime size, and I think I posted a Dayflower early in the thread. Probably the largest one I've posted. I Have some new ones, but haven't had much time to try and upload them, I might try and post a few soon.

paulh - That's an Erect Dayflower. A smaller variety grows in Texas, I think maybe Louisiana too, less than half the size of that one. I know I've shot photos of it in Texas, but can't remember if I've seen it here in Louisiana. The one you posted grows in both states too.

Indian Paintbrushes... borderline I suppose. The entire cluster is pretty big, but the individual flowers are an inch tall or so and pencil diameter. I've shot both the Texas and Western varieties. I think the one MattB posted is a Western Paintbrush, you start seeing it around New Mexico or Arizona. The first ones I spotted were in the Painted Desert/Petrified Forest just a few miles into Arizona from New Mexico. Same size but it look s a little different than the Indian Paintbrushes I see in Texas.
06-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #321
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Indian Paintbrushes - yes, the type we have here in Texas is almost like a red-orange version of a bluebonnet - sort of. In fact you see them mixed together in fields, altho I understand the Paintbrush is an aggressive plant that eventually crowds out the bluebonnets. So I've heard, anyway. Oh, and thanks Pete, for ID'ing the Dayflower.

Not wanting to wander too far off topic, but for illustration only - (not my photo)

Last edited by paulh; 06-01-2011 at 04:12 PM.
06-03-2011, 05:34 AM   #322
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Bluebonnets and paintbrushes are both pretty small individual flowers, probably acceptable here, even though both are a bit taller than dime size. I've taken plenty shiots of both while in Texas, and can't find my best 35mm shot of a Bluebonnet any more. Dammit...

Paul that's a nice shot of both, I saw scenes like that many many times in 30 years in Texas. Outside Somerville to the town where Blue Bell ice cream is made (Can't pull up the name right now) you can see 40 acre and bigger fields that look like that all spring. Mostly solid blue with little red patches...

Anyway I finally took a few minutes to upload some shots, here are a couple of tiny flowers taken in the past few weeks.

Mock Bishop's Cap. Taken with 135mm M42 Lentar f2.8 with Vivitar extension tubes total 58mm length. Flash used on 1/16 power. f16 at 1/180.

Click image to view larger size.

Don't know what any of the others are, this one is a tiny bit bigger in diameter than a pencil eraser. Same lens setup as above, flash used. f16 at 1/180.

Unidentified, about 1/4 inch across each, same macro rig and settings.

These are no longer blooming, taken April 23, I think it was the same setup, but could have been the Vemar extension tube set, which is 42mm length. Sorry, but I don't remember...it's a bit difficult to keep up with which of 3 sets took what shot...I got lucky and snagged 3 sets in 2 online auctions, I think about $40 total with a couple of lenses and two 2x teleconvertors...not a bad deal...anyway back to the flowers...this one is 1/4 inch tall.

Oh yeah, I do still use the binocular lens rig, don't think I'll ever give that up, it's gotten too many nice shots.

06-03-2011, 05:47 AM   #323

Photos: Albums
At less than 1/2 an inch across, I think these are at least small if not "tiny":

06-03-2011, 05:48 AM   #324

Photos: Albums
Same pot and flowers as above, but with the DA*200. I think I prefer this perspective. Not sure:

06-03-2011, 12:52 PM   #325
Inactive Account

06-04-2011, 10:32 PM   #326
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
These tiny white ones are coming up around here.

06-07-2011, 09:48 PM   #327
Site Supporter

Almost a tiny flower+some bokeh......

Takumar 135
Attached Images

06-11-2011, 10:43 PM   #328
Site Supporter

Tiny flowers around are now coming with these attached, makes it hard to focus, because her brethren kept flying under my glasses.
Attached Images

06-12-2011, 11:41 AM   #329
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I found these "mini-daisies" growing in a wooded area near a stream. The blossoms are 1/2" dia. or smaller. Anyone know what they are?

06-14-2011, 09:53 AM   #330
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Paul - Probably just small daisies. I see the same here, some of the daisies are over an inch, some half that size and they look identical, plant and all. Fleabane grows here too, also a daisy but not quite as variable in size. Most are about dime size.

Jeff - I like the little bell ones, wish theey grew here. Can't remember their name though. The yellow one is a very good shot, don't recognize it.

I haven't gotten much recently, most of the flowers blooming right now are larger, like Coreopsis and Brown eyed Susans. Clover and a few small ones, but that's about it for now, so I'm enjoying seeing what other people are finding.

One thing I don't think I've seen is the flower that started me on all this, a tiny white one out west in Arizona and Nevada smaller than a match head. I tried many times but my Samsung P&S wouldn't get me a good shot, and for some reason none of the Pentax folks here have posted it, or I don't think so. Now that I have the K-x and a couiple of great macro options, I'm just dying for a chance to go out there again and look for it...

Matt - You might spot it in your area, very small, usually 6" tall or less, white flower and spiny plant. Usually one stalk, you have to look for it to notice it but once you do you'll find them pretty often. I'll have to dig up my Samsung picture and post it for a reference. I saw it in the Grand Canyon area, and Bryce Canyon, possibly in Utah, so it might grow around your area too.