Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2011, 09:08 PM   #346
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pete I went to my local library today and got a book specifically for wildflowers in Florida but my one I asked you about, wasn't even listed....go figure.

06-24-2011, 11:36 PM   #347
Forum Member

dunno what kind of euphorbia this is.
Pentax kx & DAL 55-300
06-25-2011, 06:40 AM   #348
Veteran Member

Original Poster
photolady - same here. I have 3 wildflower books, one general wildlife book (Reader's Digest, great book) with a good wildflower section, I've poked around online a bit too, and can find very little on the tiny flowers I see. I don't know what it is, but I cannot ID most of what I'm shooting.

Like these...Clusters are a little bigger than a pencil eraser, lots of them around here, nothing in my books. I used the M42 Lentar 135mm f2.8 at f16 (max) and flash, Vivitar AET-1 extension tube set 58mm total. I used a tripod for this shot, but usually I shoot hand held.

Oops...I realized when I looked again these are only a few inches tall, and they're not shot from above. I can't get that low with a tripod, this one was hand held, practically lying down.

Click image to view larger size.

Same rig, also on the tripod, also no ID. Each flower could hide behind a pencil eraser. The tiny bee was extra, I didn't know it was there till I looked at the shots on the computer.

Click image to view larger size.
06-25-2011, 11:52 AM   #349
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Are flax tiny enough for this thread?

06-26-2011, 09:04 PM   #350
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Mexican Elder Bush Tree

I think this was taken on World Pentax Day . Using the KM and the kit 18-55mm lens. I 'm not real happy with the lens as I have to do some pp on the jpeg file. But each flower is about pencil eraser size.
Attached Images

06-27-2011, 11:14 AM   #351
Site Supporter

I found this tiny bud opening in the lawn.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
06-27-2011, 08:39 PM   #352
Veteran Member

Been 'hangin' around this butterflyweed,hoping to get a shot of "guess what?"
always another day,each bud is about size of pencil eraser.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
06-27-2011, 09:04 PM   #353
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
those are pretty BillM.
06-28-2011, 07:14 AM   #354
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EyeSpy Quote
those are pretty
Thank you EyeSpy,whole bunch of pretty one's in this thread,Great ideal of Pete's.
06-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #355
Veteran Member

Original Poster
shooz - I think that may be Chickweed. Not sure, but if it looks like 10 petals and turns out to be 5 very deeply notched ones, it's Chickweed.

BillM - I started to shoot some Butterfly weed today but didn't want to wade through the weeds to get to it. (messed up back for a day or two.)
06-28-2011, 08:18 PM   #356
Veteran Member

Something from my garden.

06-28-2011, 08:52 PM   #357
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
messed up back for a day or two
Sure dont like to hear that kind of stuff Pete,little R&R all thats needed I hope.

Bill
06-29-2011, 01:39 PM   #358
Veteran Member

Speaking of tiny.........

These are not flower, but fungus actually.

No more than 1/4" (about 5mm) tall. They don't grow any bigger.

Click on photo to see my description in my Album.

A bit of a challenge for a photograph really.
06-29-2011, 06:08 PM   #359
Veteran Member

Original Poster
since it's so neat I won't bitch about it not being a flower.

BillM - Back is getting better. Sore but better. At least I can walk without a cane tonight. Should be back to normal in a day or two, but I didn't even turn the camera on today, highly unusual for me. I usually get at least 20-30 shots a day, often more like 150 or more...When I never even pick the thing up you know I'm in rough shape. Pulled a muscle, not much fun but it's not the first time so I knew what to expect. Still no fun...
06-29-2011, 06:14 PM   #360
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Someone sent me a PM asking about the Macro setup, here is my response in case it will be beneficial to someone else..Copied and pasted from my PM -

Lentar 135mm f2.8 with M42 screw mount.

Vivitar AET-1 extension tube set.

K-x camera

Vivitar 285HV Zoom Thyristor flash

That's the setup I use.

Extension tubes shouldn't matter as far as brand, they are basically a hollow tube to extend the lens out. You could literally do the same with a cardboard tube if it had lens mounts.

Lens shouldn't be critical, as long as it's a good one. I've seen great macro shots by other people using Tamron, Pentax, Sigma and other less known lens brands. I got the Lentar because I also have a 90-230 mm Lentar M42 that is an excellent lens, so I took a chance on the 135. Guess I got lucky...it's a good one.

Got all of it in online auctions.

M 42 and T Mount are different screw mounts. M42 is 42mm x 1 threads, T Mount is 42mm x .75, finer threads. They don't interchange, and T Mount has to place the lens flange about 5/16" in front of the camera body, due to the focal plane of the cameras they were designed for. M42 sits flush against the camera body. Adapters also available in online auctions, try searching ebay and Amazon dot com. Most work with any Pentax camera, with the right adapter either of yours will do the trick.

I shoot mostly hand held, but sometimes set up a tripod, depending on subject. Jumping spiders and grasshoppers don't like to sit still while you set up a tripod, so I usually shoot those hand held, flowers don't move much so a tripod is sometimes useful. Anything capable of image magnification also has the annoying habit of also magnifying camera movement, so a tripod helps in that respect too.

I also shoot with a flash usually so I can go to the smallest aperture possible, depth of field is minimal, so f16 or f22 is a good idea if you have enough light. That often means flash. The Lentar only goes to f16, so most of my macro shots with it are done at f16 and 1/180 shutter speed, the fastest the flash will operate. Built in flash works, but not as well and does not have adjustable power levels so I use the Vivitar.

That's all I can think of right now.

****Edited for spelling and one slight correction.****

Last edited by Paleo Pete; 06-30-2011 at 06:11 AM.