Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 891 Likes Search this Thread
07-23-2011, 05:00 PM   #406
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Same here, my tripod won't work for those, they are usually no more than a few inches high. So I got out an el cheapo tripod I have that came with a spotter scope, only a foot tall and it works great. The mini tripod will also work, it's not too much weight with the 135mm and extension tubes but I can't see the damn thing, I'd have to lay down.

I shoot mostly hand held though, and find I rarely get motion blur, I usually shoot macros with a flash at f16 and 1/180 which is fast enough to minimize camera shake. The ones I got a few days ago were because of the wind, not cameraman movement. We've had nothing but windy days here this summer, I don't think we've had 3 calm days all summer, so I have to bite the bullet and take my chances. Sometimes it works, sometimes I delete everything...The shots posted above were hand held at those settings. Between gusts...

07-24-2011, 09:10 AM   #407
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Here's another for you to identify Pete. It's very tiny, and I don't know what it is. Shot with 50mm w/set of three closeups stacked together.

07-25-2011, 07:17 AM   #408
Veteran Member

Original Poster
photolady - That's one of the Lupines (pea family) I think, but no idea which one. Several varieties here, one very close to that one. If it's the one we have here, it's a bit under 1/2 inch tall, 3/8 inch or so wide. A side shot would be nice, hard to tell much from that angle, but I'm pretty sure it's a Lupine.I posted some smaller yellow ones a while back, and we have a couple of larger varieties blooming here right now.

I think this is the one I posted earlier, all the Lupines have this same general appearance. This one is very small, about 1/4 inch wide.

This is another one, about 1/2 inch tall or so if I remember correctly. Not sure if I've posted it before.

07-25-2011, 08:25 AM   #409
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Well, Pete, I'm not sure how I would get a side shot. These things are barely off the ground. Even my camera is too tall. That was shot sort of pointing the camera upwards.

07-25-2011, 05:50 PM   #410
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know the feeling. I was lying on the ground when I shot the yellow ones, they never get more than about 4 inches high. Can't do that on a day with a heavy dew...yikes! That particular day it was cold but very little dew. The red one grows a lot higher so it was shot kneeling, but the yellow ones either force me to lay down or get shots from above. I used the binocular lens rig for those, by the way.
07-25-2011, 06:02 PM   #411
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

yep, laying on the ground while I shoot is hazardous sometimes. Lots of dew around the park I go to because it's sits around a large river. Lots of those skeeters too, unfortunately.

I'll go back in the morning and see if they are still there. I won't promise I'll get a side shot but I'll try. These things are really small in height. I do believe they were less than 2 inches tall.
07-25-2011, 07:11 PM   #412
Oso
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Here are some flowers from my yard. Some are maple tree buds, others are just pretty flowers...

Last edited by Oso; 02-14-2012 at 04:17 AM.
07-26-2011, 11:30 AM   #413
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Pete, here is the full view of the plant, and side of flowers view:

07-27-2011, 06:15 PM   #414
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Don't know, I still think it's very similar to one here but haven't found my shots of it.

Got a couple more lately, here's one I searched for ages and cannot identify, none of these show up in my books. It's just under 1/2 inch long, about 3/8 inch wide.

Click image to view larger size.

These are really tiny, the bee is less than 1/2 inch long.

Both shots taken with Lentar 135mm and Vivitar extension tubes, flash on 1/4 power.
07-28-2011, 05:28 AM   #415
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Photolady - Might have you some info. Happened to remember this and did some poking around, sometime around 4AM... take a look at Tick Trefoil.

Tick Trefoil

Quite similar, maybe not exactly the same but close. A couple of varieties around here, one pictured below. It's the variety of plants that leave the little triangular seed pods all over your clothes that are a nuisance to get off.

This is the one I mentioned a few days ago, knew I had this picture but never spotted it.

This shot also shows the leaves, typical of the Legumes. Lupines are also closely related, these two include all the Clovers, Wisteria, Kudzu, Trefoils, and Locoweed and a couple others I think.

Here are a couple more I finally uploaded, been putting it off since I Had to clean out some room on the Flickr account.

Turnsole. I'm sure I've posted this one before, but never have gotten the color to come out right. The 1/4 inch flowers are slightly more blue tinted than this picture.

Unidentified, very close to an Orchid or Orchis about 20 feet from the Red River in Shreveport a couple of weeks ago.

One of the few good shots I've gotten of this one, for some reason I always have gotten slightly off focus. It's barely over 1/8 inch wide, and grows everywhere around here, up to about 6 feet tall.

All of these were shot with the Lentar 135mm and Vivitar extension tubes.

I guess that's it for now...

Oh yeah I missed it, but 2 days ago this thread was 1 year old. Started July 26, 2010. I'm amazed it lasted this long and got so many amazing photographs.

Thanks a bunch to all who have participated, it's great to see all the very small flowers from all over the place.
07-28-2011, 06:35 AM   #416
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
It's the variety of plants that leave the little triangular seed pods all over your clothes that are a nuisance to get off.
Always wondered what those plants were called. We called them hitchhikers, and you're right they are a nuisance to remove.

QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
Oh yeah I missed it, but 2 days ago this thread was 1 year old. Started July 26, 2010. I'm amazed it lasted this long and got so many amazing photographs
That's cool beans!! Pete.
07-28-2011, 03:22 PM   #417
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
yep, laying on the ground while I shoot is hazardous sometimes. Lots of dew around the park I go to because it's sits around a large river. Lots of those skeeters too, unfortunately.

I'll go back in the morning and see if they are still there. I won't promise I'll get a side shot but I'll try. These things are really small in height. I do believe they were less than 2 inches tall.
I know what you both mean about how "hazardous" it can be to lay on the ground to take a shot! My problem with laying on the ground to shoot is that I tend to fall asleep!
07-28-2011, 03:48 PM   #418
Veteran Member

Original Poster
LOL...I don't have much trouble with falling asleep, but I have gotten a few weird looks...muddy elbows, grass in my beard, chiggers on my forehead one day, thorns and rocks in my knees...and one afternoon didn't realize the ground in one spot was still wet from a light rain the day before, (low spot) one side was wet from knees up in a couple of seconds..
07-28-2011, 03:53 PM   #419
Veteran Member

I've gotten a few "strange" looks before too, but if I was worried about weird looks I'd never be able to leave the house.
07-28-2011, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #420
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Even my family thinks I'm weird from laying in the grass or in mud to shoot photos. But I told them, you do what you have to, to get the right shot.

Case in point, I spent the afternoon laying on a tile floor shooting one of my great nephew's first birthday. The parents, and the house owners, thought I was nuts. I said, nope, get down to the baby's leval and every thing changes.