Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2010, 03:25 PM   #31
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Went out and took these specifically for this thread.. About the size of a large pencil eraser, they grow on a vine and yield some sort of berries. This Stuff grows all over my yard and makes it nearly impossible to maintain my yard. Especially come after dog clean up detail.

K7, DFA 100mm WR (love that lens!)

Last edited by JeffJS; 08-07-2010 at 03:31 PM.
08-08-2010, 05:38 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jeff, I do believe you've got purple nightshade there. Does the plant come out with glossy red berries in fall? Don't eat them!

Here are two from alongside the river. I'm not sure yet what the yellow flowers are. Each individual is about the size of a dime, or less. The second is Joe Pye weed, and the bee lends scale to the individual blooms.

08-08-2010, 07:17 AM   #33
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
Jeff, I do believe you've got purple nightshade there. Does the plant come out with glossy red berries in fall? Don't eat them!

Tamia, Thank you. With everything being at least 2 weeks early this year (for some reason), there are berries forming now and a few Are red. This stuff infiltrates Everything and I would really like to permanently kill it.. It wraps itself around my rose bushes, finds every nook and cranny in my garage (so I also have it growing inside the garage), it would be in my house if I didn't keep it cut back. Problem with killing it (chemically) is, the dog is a grazer (though he doesn't eat the berries). Oh well.. Back to regular programming.

08-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Finally had a chance to get back on here and post a couple more.

don't know what this one is, the fuzzy button to the right of the center bloom is just a bit larger than a pencil eraser

This one was taken in an unorthodox way, two 50mm lenses face to face, using the second one as a magnifying glass. Got an interesting shot, and my best one yet of this tiny one, about 1/8 inch across,

Have some more but not uploaded yet, will try again later.

Click each picture to view larger size.

08-14-2010, 01:09 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
This one was taken in an unorthodox way, two 50mm lenses face to face, using the second one as a magnifying glass. Got an interesting shot, and my best one yet of this tiny one, about 1/8 inch across,

Love the colors in that second one. When putting the two lenses together, are you using a threading adapter??? I've seen reversing rings for sale, but thought that was just for one lens onto the body.

Here are a couple from the yard: the Crepe Myrtle is a cluster, so I tried to get one small bloom, but is definitely the largest of the bunch, and the Argeratum about 1/2" for each bloom, so not too tiny either, but great color. The following were shot with my Kiron 28-70mm Macro

Crepe Myrtle 1/160", F7.1, ISO100

Argeratum 1/200", F8, ISO100, handheld

Little White Flower 1/200", F6.3, ISO100, handheld

1/250", F6.3, ISO100, handheld

Little Yellow Flower 1/60", F11, ISO100, handheld

Grape Hyacinth SMC-A 28mm with +6 closeup lenses 1/4", F11, ISO100
08-14-2010, 06:55 PM   #36
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice flowers Pete and John. I got one today. I took my close ups and attached them to my 18-55mm at 55mm and shot this one below. I tried once before to use the Raynox on these but couldn't hold steady enough to use that lens.

These flowers are extremely small. about the size of pencil eraser maybe. They grow on a vine. I asked my green thumb sister what they are but she doesn't remember. And my nephew told me to be careful where they are growing because there is a wasps nest in those Bromiliads growing close to this vine.

Anyway, here's the flower:
08-14-2010, 09:34 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know what this wildflower is but this particular one has a curious star shape. The individual flowers are very tiny. This shot was taken with the 16-50mm lens and, needless to say, cropped.

Floral star by jmschrei, on Flickr
-Joe
08-15-2010, 05:02 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
When putting the two lenses together, are you using a threading adapter???
Nope, why do you think they make duck tape??? no really, I didn't have a way to screw them together so I used duct tape. I've now taken it apart and am using a binocular lens that slips right over the 50mm and stays put, has a rubber housing so no scratches, and works really well. I'll have some shots posted before long.

Great shots everyone, I really look forward to checking out this thread when I get online, see what else is popping up. We have a couple more tiny ones blooming now, I'm trying to get some decent shots. One is smaller than a BB. That one is giving me fits, but I think I got a shot yesterday worth showing off.

John - that 4 petal white one is the same flower I see here, I think I posted a shot in my first post, the lavender one looks really close to one that grows here, so does the yellow one. I'm thinking it may be wood sorrel, but not positive. If it is the leaves will strongly resemble 3 leaf clover. That last purple one looks nice.

Photolady - I don't have a clue what that is but it looks cool, nice shot.

Joe - That looks similar to a dime size yellow flower in clusters that started to bloom here this week, but I can't see the individual flowers to tell. Goldenrod should open soon here, and turnsole, I'll be trying for shots of both.

It'll have to wait a day or two, I burned 3 fingers on my right hand last night and have been wrist deep in a bucket of ice water for the past 20 hours, with about 2 hours sleep. Sloshed boiling water when I bumped another pan...OUCH!!! Ice water works great though, best thing I've ever found for burns. It just got to the point I can keep it out of the ice an hour ago. Soon as it hits the ice water the pain is gone, but it takes up to 24 hours for it to completely go away. I've had my hand out for over an hour now, so the worst is over. This is not my first time, so I'm not too worried, I know it will heal up fine soon as the pain stops. I burned the skin off the back of my right hand about age 14, no scars and all I used was ice water. LOTS of ice, just enough water to cover it. Dunk it till it goes numb, pull it out till the feeling starts to come back, 30 seconds at first, then dunk it again. This one took around 20 hours till I could stay out of the ice. Last time it took 16 hours. It's no fun, but more uncomfortable than painful, but I won't be in extreme pain for weeks on end, the pain is officially over with as of an hour ago.

08-18-2010, 06:53 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I'm back at it again, burned fingers didn't stop me, just slowed me down a day or two. Got some editing done, here are a couple more shots from the past week or so.

This is one of the smallest subjects I've ever tried, except for Dill and Pepper Grass flowers, it's smaller than a match head. These were taken through one lens of a pair of junk binoculars, I removed the objective lens (the big one) and placed it next to the 50mm, found out later it will wiggle into place and stay there with its rubber housing to prevent scratches, and it works really well.

Here's another shot from a little further away.

This is a small pale lavender flower I see in Louisiana and Texas quite frequently, about the size of a pencil eraser. Taken with just the 50mm Series A lens.

This one is about 1/2 inch, it can hide behind a dime, I see it here fairly often, but not what I would call a really common flower. I see a dozen daisies for every one of these I find.

I'm on my way out to one of my favorite spots, need to see if the water is coming in at the photo blind, lots of water birds there and I have a "new" lens to try out...Hope everyone enjoys the pictures.

Click on each picture to view larger size
08-18-2010, 03:22 PM   #40
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a few more from my crawl around the yard this morning. Both are extremely small flowers. The first one, is maybe the size of a pencil eraser. I haven't measured it, but I think it's a bit smaller than that.

And this one is just a tad smaller than a dime.

I don't know what either of them are, but they only bloom in the morning. And they are real low to the ground.
08-18-2010, 08:00 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Photolady - Don't know about the top one, but the second one is an Erect Dayflower. Common around here, I've gotten several very nice shots, one that someone noticed had a tiny bug on it...
08-28-2010, 04:58 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
One more for now, haven't had a chance to edit and upload, but got several good ones this morning, will try to get a few ready in the next day or two.

This one is about the size of a pencil eraser.

08-28-2010, 08:13 PM   #43
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Birdfoot Trefoil

08-28-2010, 08:15 PM   #44
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Wild Rudbeckia

I think this is Rudbeckia, but you can see from the scale given by the grass head that it is actually rather small.

08-29-2010, 03:21 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
woof those are nice shots, don't think I've ever seen either one. We have a small Legume like the first one here, not much bigger than pencil eraser size, I haven't gotten a good shot yet but it doesn't grow in round clusters like that one. Nice.