Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 891 Likes Search this Thread
04-12-2012, 09:56 PM - 1 Like   #511
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
yup, still here.....

Did I hear somebody mention Speedwells over on the West coast? Hey there Larry (crewl1), I knew they could be found most places around here, but I didn't even imagine them being in LA! (beautiful shots by the way! oh, and yours too Tom! )
Here's a shot of some in my front yard just before I mowed the grass for the first time this year. I told my wife that I was letting the grass get a good head-start and you'll never guess what else was growing......

Speedwell shot with a Lentar 35mm f2.8 M42 lens mounted on my Tamron F 2x converter,

That would be this rig...[ATTACH]Name:  IMGP0015 copy.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  73.1 KB[/ATTACH]

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
04-14-2012, 04:05 PM - 1 Like   #512
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Looks like that setup works pretty well. I haven't had good luck with teleconvertors, I have 3 or 4 but usually I find they degrade image quality so I use them very rarely.

I've gotten a few new ones lately, using the binocular lens rig, my favorite for macros so far.

This one is very small, the hoverfly lit just as I was focusing so he got into the picture too. The hoverfly is under 1/2 inch long, the whole cluster could hide behind a dime. I'll have to try and look these up again, I think I finally found them last year but not sure.

Another very small flower, the whole cluster is about the size of my thumb, individual flowers about 1/4 inch wide. Unidentified.

White clover after a good coating of dewdrops.

All with SMC Pentax A 50mm and binocular lens attachment. Flash was used for the clover, ambient light for the others. Flash is the only way I can get a shot at f16 that early in the morning...the others are at f8.
04-14-2012, 05:14 PM   #513
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I think I posted this one last year but don't quite remember. ID needed again please.

These are very tiny, smaller than a dime.

My macro rig consists of three closeup lenses +1, +2, +4 and a front element from a 28mm lens that broke and I took apart, all stacked together.
04-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #514
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yellow Chickweed I think. I'll have to look around, I have some shots I know are Yellow Chickweed taken recently in Texas, don't think I've uploaded any though.

04-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #515
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Here is one showing the leaves: They grow flat to the ground, in numerous patches of them.

04-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #516
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tiny blossoms on our shrubs by the porch this morning...
04-14-2012, 10:50 PM   #517
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jonhock Quote
Did I hear somebody mention Speedwells over on the West coast? Hey there Larry (crewl1), I knew they could be found most places around here, but I didn't even imagine them being in LA! (beautiful shots by the way! oh, and yours too Tom! )
Thanks. This spot is a section I re-seeded last year, I'm sure the bag has a blend of seeds from all over. I don't recall seeing them before.

04-15-2012, 04:52 AM   #518
Veteran Member

Here are a couple from this week.
I know I have a dirty sensor did not notice till after pics were taken think the dirt came from my ext tubes.

04-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #519
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bellows, on a K100D. The 1c doesn't mention Zeiss so it is after WW1 started, so I'm thinking this is from the 1920s. I pull it out every now and then.

04-15-2012, 07:08 PM   #520
Veteran Member

Horse Herb

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Here is one showing the leaves: They grow flat to the ground, in numerous patches of them.

No, this isn't just a new way to say "horse pucky". I found it @ this address; horse herb - Google Search

OR You can just "google" Horse Herb. These look the same as yours, PhotoLady, so I'm thinkin they might be it.
And Pete--the first thing I thought of when I saw them was how much they look like my yard OOPs I meant to say how much they look chickweed!
04-15-2012, 11:13 PM   #521
Veteran Member

My Yard... (before I mowed)

Last week I did our first "mow" of the year, but, before I mowed I photod the "tiny flowers". The grape hyacinths, being the exception, are in the flower bed out front.
Here's one with my Pentax M 100 1:4 and another with the same lens plus all 3 of my Asahi K extension tubes which when combined gives me 57mm of extension to give me 1:1 magnification. The first is without the tubes. and the second is with the tubes. The one in between them is a "Gill-over-the-Ground" (Creeping Charlie).
Then there's Pennsylvania Bittercress, chickweed, bittercress, and Henbits. The Yellow flowers grow 6 or more inchs tall, but the flowers still fit the constraints of this thread. I don't know what they are though.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
04-16-2012, 05:53 AM   #522
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
White clover after a good coating of dewdrops.
Lovely!
04-16-2012, 06:05 AM   #523
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Jon, thanks for the ID. Horse Herb, I'd have never guessed.
04-16-2012, 07:38 AM   #524
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmmm...and all this time I thought it was another variety of Chickweed...
04-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #525
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Here is another just recently established itself in my yard. Very small. A dime would cover it: