Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2010, 12:36 PM   #46
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice new flowers uploaded since I came in last. TFS

I have one more for now. This is smaller than a pencil eraser and I don't know what it is. Just found it this afternoon while roaming the yard.

I still can't get an in focus shot of the littlest flower in my yard. It grows very nearly on the ground, and any wind, moves it.

08-30-2010, 01:17 PM   #47
Inactive Account

these are mine:

K-x/55-300

Andras
08-31-2010, 05:08 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tamia - I don't know what it is either, looks similar to a variety of legume just opening.

Planedriver - Nice! I like the bee sitting on it. That looks like a daisy, about dime size usually, that makes the bee really small...nice shot.

I have one more for now, thought I had uploaded more but I guess not, I'll have to poke through the keeper folders tonight...

These were all over the place by the bayou a couple of days ago, each about 1/4 inch across.

EDIT: Oops, I forgot this one...This flower is called Turnsole. Each about 1/4 inch across the larger ones, they start light blue and bleach white in the sun.

Click on the image to view larger size.

Last edited by Paleo Pete; 08-31-2010 at 05:20 PM.
08-31-2010, 06:01 PM   #49
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Pete do you know what my last flower is?

09-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Photolady - No I don't, it looks a bit like one of the Legumes, part of the pea family, but I wouldn't swear to it. Lots of those blooming right now, I've gotten pictures of several the past week or two. Have some I'm planning to post here, but not uploaded yet.

Here's a really tiny one, I think Dill is the only one I've photographed that is smaller. this is a pinhead sized flower growing in yards all over the place around here. Look at a dollar bill. See the "O" in Washington's name? This flower would fit inside there...with room to spare...

09-02-2010, 05:47 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great shots on this page, everyone. I've got some pix in the works but haven't had time to upload them. Pete, that last one is amazingly detailed for so tiny a plant. That binocular rig of yours is earning its way.

Mar, that one of yours (post #46) looks almost like a teensy pink lady's slipper, though I don't know what it is.
09-02-2010, 11:12 AM   #52
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know, Tamia, I have been researching this since I took the photo and still can't identify it. The leaves are sort of round, not needle like and rather larger than one would expect from such a tiny flower. The leaf in the bokeh is the leaf for this flower. And yes, I have since removed the dust spots.

09-02-2010, 02:23 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tamia - I'm liking the binocular rig more all the time. It's been great, I just wish I could say it was my own idea, but alas, it was a Nikon shooting friend who turned me on to it originally. Don't worry, I'm trying to convert him slowly...hehe he might not be so difficult as some, he doesn't have major bucks tied up in Nikon gear. And he really likes my K-x too...and while I'm at it, check out my post "Portrait of a Butterfly". more binocular lens shots I think you might like.

Photolady - I did a bit more looking, so many flowers in my books it takes a while, but so far nothing that matches that one.

I've also been calling these by the wrong name all along, the pea family is Lupines, not Legumes...Here are a couple of examples, also very small, barely over pencil eraser size. This one is a little under 1/2 inch tall, 3/8 inch wide.

Another, about the same size.

Also, I found out there is a group called the False Lupines, usually only 3 leaves to a group, while true Lupines always have more than 3 per group. I'll have to watch when they bloom next year, I may have to rename even more files...

If yours has about this same form, it could be a Lupine or false lupine, that would give you a more specific range to look in.

Oh yeah, both of these I think are straight 50mm lens, no binocular rig.

Last edited by Paleo Pete; 09-02-2010 at 02:28 PM. Reason: The typo monster is still alive and well...
09-04-2010, 08:18 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Snake Plant

This was taken this spring with my I'm embarrassed to say..Canon A590 digi. The snake plant has been in my corner garden several years. This is the first time I witnessed it blooming. A first in my lifetime. Didn't know they produced flowers.
Attached Images

09-05-2010, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yep, it's also called a Mother in Law's Tongue, they don't bloom until they are several years old. Mine died a couple of years ago when they were left outside during a hard freeze (unexpected) and they had been blooming for 3 or 4 years. Hahn's Plant is near identical, but the leaves are short, no more than about 4 inches, while this one puts on leaves over a foot long, if what I see is the same as what I grew for years. (I grew both). I can't remember the proper name, I had 3 or 4 of these that filled 1 foot pots and literally grew shoots out the sides.

Here is another very small one I see around here a lot, a little under 1/2 inch wide.

09-05-2010, 06:36 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
Yep, it's also called a Mother in Law's Tongue, they don't bloom until they are several years old. Mine died a couple of years ago when they were left outside during a hard freeze (unexpected) and they had been blooming for 3 or 4 years. Hahn's Plant is near identical, but the leaves are short, no more than about 4 inches, while this one puts on leaves over a foot long, if what I see is the same as what I grew for years. (I grew both). I can't remember the proper name, I had 3 or 4 of these that filled 1 foot pots and literally grew shoots out the sides.

Here is another very small one I see around here a lot, a little under 1/2 inch wide.

I guess it depends on where you were raised. I remember the short ones from my childhood and we called them mother-inlaw's-tongue! the complete opposite of what they're called in your neck of th woods. Sorry to hear you lost yours. Now I wish I could find the short one, rather, the Hahn variety.
Thanks PPete.
Attached Images

09-05-2010, 07:11 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sedums by the Shed

Here are a couple photos of some Sedums we have growing around our shed. The flowers are approximately 3/8" +/-. It was/is windy outside so I put one in a vase and shot the photos in my kitchen. I used my k10d with a Pentax 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 set at 80mm for the photo of the whole group and the other three are shot through my Honeywell Pentax Bellows II with an SMC 50mm 1:1.4.
Attached Images

Last edited by jonhock; 09-07-2010 at 07:43 PM. Reason: added camera and lens info
09-06-2010, 12:08 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Found these today. Not sure what they are, but they do fit the bill for this theme. I didn't even notice the caterpillar on it till I got home and looked at it on the computer.

09-07-2010, 04:54 PM   #59
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I got one more. Not the small flower I've tried and tried to capture but another one. The flower itself isn't fully open (seems they close at dusk).

You guys have been busy with these tiny flowers. All look great. TFP (Thanks for posting)
09-09-2010, 12:27 PM   #60
Site Supporter

Auto Tak 55/1.8 'Zebra' & K200d