Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2010, 04:21 PM   #61
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Ragged Robin - Lychnis flos-cuculi.• Family: Pink (Caryophyllaceae). Habitat: wet meadows.• Height: 1-2 feet.• Flower size: 1 inch across.• Flower color: pink. Flowering time: June to July. Origin: Europe. Hand held photograph taken with a Pentax K10D and Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)

09-09-2010, 04:23 PM   #62
Inactive Account

Don't know if Bleeding Heart qualify... these are pretty tiny.

09-09-2010, 04:26 PM   #63
Inactive Account

Very hard to get this one right...

Cow Vetch (Tufted Vetch) - Vicia craccaFamily: Pea (Fabaceae). Habitat: fields and roadsides. Plant height: 2 to 3 feet. Flower size: 1/2 inch long in long racemes. Flower color: blue-purple. Flowering time: May to August. Origin: Eurasia. Hand held photograph taken with a Pentax K10D and Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)

09-09-2010, 04:28 PM   #64
Inactive Account

Mum. This Mum was about 1/2 inch in diameter.

09-10-2010, 05:51 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Woof and Blue, those are nice shots, especially the Bleeding Hearts..

I've been trying to shoot vetch all summer, never got a keeper yet. One decent shot, but not good enough to show off...
09-10-2010, 05:56 AM   #66
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
Woof and Blue, those are nice shots, especially the Bleeding Hearts..

I've been trying to shoot vetch all summer, never got a keeper yet. One decent shot, but not good enough to show off...
On the vetch, basically I am not satisfied with that result, but it was as close as I could get. Colors are a little washed out too here. Illusive flower apparently...

woof!
09-10-2010, 05:58 AM   #67
Inactive Account

Pete. you have some nice stuff here. My favorite o far is the Turnsole.

woof!

09-10-2010, 04:44 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks woof, I checked a couple of places until they started blooming, I got some nice shots last year with the Samsung P&S, wanted some with this camera. Turnsole is such a cool looking flower, but it's not easy to get the colors right, most of my shots were washed out, same problem with vetch. Vetch is purple, all my shots came out light blue...way washed out. Ditto for a lot of the Turnsole shots. I think the trick is to try it on a cloudy day, bright light just kills the colors. That's how I got my Turnsole shots, partly cloudy day, wait till the sun hides behind a cloud and shoot away. I had also just tweaked the camera settings so it wouldn't overexpose, now most of my shots get no editing at all except crop and resize, maybe 15-20% sharpening to bring out detail.

Oh yeah, I thought your picture was actually Dutchman's Breeches, related to Bleeding Hearts, then found out I was looking at the right picture in my book and the wrong description...can you say BLONDE MOMENT???? Anyway that is a really nice shot.
09-10-2010, 06:30 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Anyone know what these are? bought a pound of wild-flower seed mix at a local hardware chain that was going out of buisness, for a dollar. Didnt think seeds were viable, but for a buck, what the heck. each petal app. 1/2 to 3/4 inch long.
Attached Images

09-10-2010, 07:05 PM   #70
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
Anyone know what these are? bought a pound of wild-flower seed mix at a local hardware chain that was going out of buisness, for a dollar. Didnt think seeds were viable, but for a buck, what the heck. each petal app. 1/2 to 3/4 inch long.

It looks like Clematis terniflora DC. That would be my guess. See: SS AGR 309/AG315: Japanese clematis, Clematis terniflora (D.C.) Ranunculaceae

Here is an image for comparison.

See also: issg Database: Ecology of Clematis terniflora

Hope this helps.

woof!
09-10-2010, 07:11 PM   #71
Veteran Member

Thanks Woof, buds and vine like pretty much clinches it for me. Some great stuff in here, wish I had seen months ago
after reading link, have some yardwork to do
Bill

Last edited by BillM; 09-10-2010 at 07:25 PM.
09-11-2010, 07:25 AM   #72
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Remember the teeny tiny white flower I've been trying to get a decent shot of Pete? Well, this morning I finally got one in focus. Smaller than a pencil eraser, larger than a pinhead. These things sway in the slightest breeze and the one below was closer to the ground so no wind was hitting it. Plus it was surrounded by grass.

The plant is fern like as you can see from it's leaves.

09-11-2010, 05:04 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That looks like the same flower I posted on page 3 here

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4122/4884017818_db89aff925_z.jpg

but your leaves are more sparse. Very nice shot of it, the one I posted is about 1/4 inch across, pencil eraser is 5/16, so a little bigger. That makes it the same size or close, and the center looks identical. The leaves are very similar too but the one I shot has more of them. Usually pretty low to the ground, the plant grows in little mostly circular patches.
09-11-2010, 05:21 PM   #74
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Could be mine and yours are in the same family. I don't know about them growing in mostly circular patches, though, I really didn't pay attention to that.

These of mine close up in the evening. I might try shooting another one tomorrow with a tape measure beside it to show size.

I also found the little pinks ones again this morning. PPG shot down the one I posted on there.
09-12-2010, 09:02 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Want thank Woof again, wasnt exactly thrilled at removing, but best to do so.
seen this tiny little thing today... maybe 3/8 inch, 8mm in diameter
Attached Images