Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jonhock Quote
Hey there jheu02, check out my photos on page 4 of this thread.
Yeah, they look like they may be the same. The flower clusters (unopened) remind me of a flat, pinkish broccoli.

09-15-2010, 04:54 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No skeeters??? You can have some of ours. I'll ship you a few...million...
09-15-2010, 05:42 PM   #93
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Pete here is the whole plant on that flower I shot with the cup:

09-16-2010, 06:27 AM   #94
Veteran Member

Original Poster
photolady - Look up Portulaca and Purslane. Both the same I think, I've grown it before but didn't recognize it until I saw the "cup" you mentioned with the little pointed red cap on it just above center. The flower is gone, that's the seed pod, the cap drops off and it's full of tiny seeds. You can plant those seeds in a pot and it will grow like crazy, reseeding itself every year. They grow every color flower you can think of, each a bit bigger than a dime. It can also be grown by rooting a small cutting. I can't remember for sure, but it might grow from a leaf dropped in the soil like Jade Plant and Begonia will, but I may be wrong there.

Unless I'm losing it, that's what you have here.

09-16-2010, 06:59 AM   #95
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks Pete. I looked up Purslane and that's what I have there. Found some interesting things about this "weed" too. I'm sure you already know about it but if any one else is interested, below is the wiki read:

Portulaca oleracea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After reading that, I might just plant me some. It's a very useful and edible weed.
09-16-2010, 11:42 AM   #96
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
These are Forget-me-nots Myosotis taken earlier this year with a D-FA 100mm f2.8

--
09-16-2010, 05:00 PM   #97
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Mecrox - Nice shot, good texture in the one that's at the focal point.

Photolady - Here's a picture of some wild Purslane/Portulaca I got a couple of weeks ago, this one shows the flower and leaves really well. It's gone now, the city came along and mowed it 2 days later. I went back to get some more shots and it had been destroyed. Flowers between nickel and dime size.

Click on the image to view larger size

09-16-2010, 07:15 PM   #98
Veteran Member

They're everywhere!

Here are a couple more pics. I don't know what the 4th (RED) one is but it is about three eights of an inch across. The other 4 photos are of a flower called "Lantana Camara" so I figure they at least ought to get an honorable mention!
The new buds in the middle of the Camara are about 3/32" and the flowers when open are about a quarter inch. Not the tinyest(?) but I think they have a cool name.
Attached Images

09-16-2010, 07:21 PM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
These are Forget-me-nots Myosotis taken earlier this year with a D-FA 100mm f2.8

--
Great photo! So that's what a Forget-me-not looks like. I should have them planted all the way around my, uh, hmm, um what was I saying?........
09-17-2010, 03:44 PM   #100
Veteran Member

Original Poster
jonhock - Nice, I like the last shot of the lantana. My sister has that one and yellow growing in her flowerbeds. I got some good shots earlier this summer, just been too lazy to post any...
09-18-2010, 07:27 AM   #101
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Jonhock, nice lantanas. I have the pink and yellow growing outside my window, we have the yellow and white growing beside the house and one of my sisters has a red and orange growing in pots.

Here is a few more tiny flowers I crawled around the yard yesterday and found them hiding in the grass.

And the one below is growing on the edge of your yard close to the road. Hard to get these in full focus because they come out on a stem and the stem waves in the slightest wind.

09-18-2010, 11:11 AM   #102
Veteran Member

Hi everyone, had to make a little day trip on buisness thur. about 100 miles west,
around Rolla, Mo. Had enough time to stop by one of my favorite spots, its a
federal rec area named Lane springs, and it is a little gem. never seen so many
touch-me-nots in one area. hope you can forgive composition, was knee deep
in stinging nettle and ability to tolerate seems to diminish with age
Attached Images

09-18-2010, 04:40 PM   #103
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Photolady - Cool pictures. Don't know what the first one is, but the second looks a lot what I looked up as "Texas Frog Fruit" and woof looked up as Fogfruit of some sort, I can't remember the exact name, but his ID link was posted by a university and I'm not going to argue with them.... Anyway it's a good shot, I bet there's water real close.

BillM - That's just a cool shot. Must be just the unopened flower buds, but I like the way it came out. (I wouldn't know a touch me not if it bit me...)

Here's one I got yesterday. False Lupine since it has 3 leaves, lupines always have more than 3. This one is about 1/4 inch tall.

Click the image to view larger size.

Last edited by Paleo Pete; 09-18-2010 at 05:13 PM. Reason: added info
09-18-2010, 08:27 PM   #104
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These are from a local pond/lake growing at water's edge. Flowers are about 1/8"diameter. SMC-K 135/2.5 w/ 31mm extension tube.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
09-18-2010, 08:44 PM   #105
Veteran Member

Hi Pete, could swear I seen lupine by river tonight, buds arent open yet, but those leaves very distinct. Get a kick out of touch-me-nots, seed pods shoot seeds with
just slight touch.Heres a touch-me-not flower and seed pod. Some beautiful stuff above, really puts a match under the 'rear end' to get out and do it.
Cheers everyone
Bill
Attached Images