Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2021, 05:59 PM   #1426
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fdooch Quote
I used macro tubes plus a macro lens plus an inverted lens to get the maximum magnification.
This whole structure was installed on a slider, which in turn was on a tripod.
Filmed with the help of the IR remote control.
But the problem lies in 2 things.
Slider movements should be very slight.
And the most important thing is that from the front lens to the focus object is less than a centimeter and it touches the leaves.
Yes, very slight adjustment to the focus (for stacking). Did you try it with the lens stopped down as far as it will go? At least F16, F22, F32, in AV mode, let the camera set the shutter. That might give you a little more depth of focus for a non-stacked image. These are indeed very tiny flowers, even for Pleurothallis. I may have an image or two of Pleurothallis orchids in my archive, I'll look for them, I recall some very tiny ones (Pths. brighamii, I think).

06-18-2021, 11:52 PM   #1427

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Yes, very slight adjustment to the focus (for stacking). Did you try it with the lens stopped down as far as it will go? At least F16, F22, F32, in AV mode, let the camera set the shutter. That might give you a little more depth of focus for a non-stacked image. These are indeed very tiny flowers, even for Pleurothallis. I may have an image or two of Pleurothallis orchids in my archive, I'll look for them, I recall some very tiny ones (Pths. brighamii, I think).
Macro by any means necessary club - Page 39 - PentaxForums.com
Here you can see how everything was arranged.
With this optical scheme, a clamped aperture does not significantly increase the depth of field.
On the contrary, it significantly reduces the amount of light.
I had to postpone shooting, waiting for the vibration caused by the movement of the slider to subside.
06-19-2021, 07:05 AM - 2 Likes   #1428
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Macro by any means necessary club - Page 39 - PentaxForums.com
Here you can see how everything was arranged.
With this optical scheme, a clamped aperture does not significantly increase the depth of field.
On the contrary, it significantly reduces the amount of light.
I had to postpone shooting, waiting for the vibration caused by the movement of the slider to subside.
Yes, it does reduce the light, but you compensate for that with a slower shutter speed.

Here's a Pleurothallis from my archives. These flowers are slightly larger than yours, maybe 3 or 4mm.

Pleurothallis grobyi
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D80  Photo 
06-19-2021, 10:59 AM   #1429

Wow...most interesting! I think it's a Pleurothallis, but A) it's a monstrously huge genus (+500 species) and B) I really don't know a lot about them. Thanks for sharing!

Couple of suggestions, based on my experience trying to photograph tiny orchids... a tripod is absolutely necessary, and a macro lens so you can get as close as possible. Use aperture-preferred mode and stop the lens down pretty far -- F16 at least, F22 or even more. Let the camera set the shutter speed (not a problem on a tripod). The small aperture give you more depth-of-focus. I have no experience with focus-stacking, but there are some examples of my images here in this thread using these techniques.
I learned the name of this orchid from my sister. You were right, this is Pleurothallis Stenostachia

06-19-2021, 11:05 AM   #1430
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I learned the name of this orchid from my sister. You were right, this is Pleurothallis Stenostachia
Ah, good. That was a well-aimed stab-in-the-dark, then. Many of them are quite tiny flowers, very small plants. I presume your sister grows them? Maybe in a terrarium?
06-19-2021, 11:59 AM - 2 Likes   #1431

Ah, good. That was a well-aimed stab-in-the-dark, then. Many of them are quite tiny flowers, very small plants. I presume your sister grows them? Maybe in a terrarium?
You are discerning

Last edited by Fdooch; 07-27-2021 at 06:51 AM.
06-19-2021, 01:19 PM   #1432
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You are discerning
Oh how beautiful! Wonderful tropical garden in there! I see many many interesting plants, some familiar, some not. An excellent collection of fascinating plants! Congratulations to your sister for maintaining such a treasure!

06-20-2021, 01:27 AM - 2 Likes   #1433
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pretty Set Up, but no idea what it is. :(

Taken with: Canon EOS 7d Mk II body with a Canon EF-S 18~135mm, IS, STM Lens.

Thanks very much for viewing.

tt
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 7D Mark II  Photo 
06-20-2021, 06:15 AM   #1434
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Taken with: Canon EOS 7d Mk II body with a Canon EF-S 18~135mm, IS, STM Lens.

tt
No idea, either, but it's very pretty...I wonder what the flower will look like when it's fully open?
06-20-2021, 09:25 AM - 3 Likes   #1435
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is Pholidota imbricata, "rattlesnake orchid", from the Nikon archive. These are the buds, soon to open to little white flowers...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D80  Photo 
06-20-2021, 01:02 PM   #1436
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No idea, either, but it's very pretty...I wonder what the flower will look like when it's fully open?
Actually, this is a blossom from one of my wife's, "Meyer Lemon" tree plants. Today will be an ideal opportunity for a tall glass of ice cold lemonade with temperatures expected to reach into the high 90s. Come on over enjoy some with us. Love to have you. )

tony
06-20-2021, 01:42 PM   #1437
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually, this is a blossom from one of my wife's, "Meyer Lemon" tree plants. Today will be an ideal opportunity for a tall glass of ice cold lemonade with temperatures expected to reach into the high 90s. Come on over enjoy some with us. Love to have you. )

tony
Ooo..you cheated! You knew all along what it is! No fair! But you can shoot it again when the flower is fully open, and then later when it morphs into a lemon...

Thanks for the invite. A cold lemonade would be a treat! Pretty hot here, too, not at all typical for our summer weather. Hot and muggy, without a doubt, but NOT 95F...that's Orlando weather, not Miami weather. In June? This does not bode well for August...
06-20-2021, 04:38 PM   #1438
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ooo..you cheated! You knew all along what it is! No fair! But you can shoot it again when the flower is fully open, and then later when it morphs into a lemon...

Thanks for the invite. A cold lemonade would be a treat! Pretty hot here, too, not at all typical for our summer weather. Hot and muggy, without a doubt, but NOT 95F...that's Orlando weather, not Miami weather. In June? This does not bode well for August...

Not true, not true. I must confess, I had to inquire as what type of flower this is.

Thnx,

Tony
06-21-2021, 12:15 AM - 2 Likes   #1439
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A Meyer Lemon Flower In Bloom. :)

Taken with: One Canon EOS 7D Mk II body and a Canon EF-S 18~135mm, IS, STM Lens.

tony
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 7D Mark II  Photo 
06-21-2021, 07:12 AM   #1440
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not true, not true. I must confess, I had to inquire as what type of flower this is.

Thnx,

Tony
Well, now you know...learn something new every day, Tony! BTW my calla flower is opening, I hope to have an image or two for you soon!