Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 891 Likes Search this Thread
09-05-2011, 06:50 PM   #436
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice - I've never seen Lantana in those colors. In our yard, it's mostly purple with yellow, or all yellow. Of course its pretty much disappeared this year with the lack of rain. This shot was taken in May -

09-05-2011, 07:11 PM   #437
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Very nice - I've never seen Lantana in those colors. In our yard, it's mostly purple with yellow, or all yellow. Of course its pretty much disappeared this year with the lack of rain. This shot was taken in May -
WOW it must be very dry indeed ! they will take extreme dry without damage, But die quite easily with excess water. I guess you missed the rain from "Lee" . We got the remnants here in Memphis last night, Not much rain at all.

Eric
09-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #438
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
Lantana ^
Thanks, I did not know what they were. They were at Mt Sinai cemetery in Los Angeles...
09-25-2011, 01:02 PM   #439
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These are very tiny-about 2mm.

09-26-2011, 01:21 AM   #440
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One from the Sydney Botanical Gardens:

09-26-2011, 04:50 AM   #441
Veteran Member

About the size of a pencil eraser

09-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #442
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
One from the Sydney Botanical Gardens:
Wow Ash, That's just plain nice !

Eric

10-01-2011, 03:39 PM   #443
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Still lots of nice shots showing up. Soo it will be cold here in the US and maybe we'll see some of nature's miniatures from the rest of the world.

Hangman the top one I'm not sure, but the white one is an aster and the purple is Lobelia. That's about the only ones I can identify on this page...

A recent one from me. Don't know what these are, but at about the size of a match head they're pretty small. Taken with Pentax A 50mm f1.4 and binocular lens setup, good sunlight no flash. I think it was at f8.

Click image to view larger size.
10-02-2011, 07:59 AM   #444
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Flowering shrub?

Here's a flowering shrub I'm hoping someone here can ID. It's an evergreen shrub, with pale green velvety leaves and small (about 1/2") pink/purple blossoms. Ours is about 5' tall - it didn't bloom much during the long hot summer, but after a few brief showers this week, the blooms exploded all over it. It was covered with bees while I took these shots. Anyone know what this is?

10-02-2011, 09:13 AM   #445
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Here's a flowering shrub I'm hoping someone here can ID. It's an evergreen shrub, with pale green velvety leaves and small (about 1/2") pink/purple blossoms. Ours is about 5' tall - it didn't bloom much during the long hot summer, but after a few brief showers this week, the blooms exploded all over it. It was covered with bees while I took these shots. Anyone know what this is?

Ok just so you know that shrubs ain't my cup o tea But I'm going to say Rhaphiolepis indica AKA "Pink Lady" AKA "Indian Hawthorn" But the foliage is a little more silver than i am used to .

Out of curiosity do the blooms turn into a little fruit/berry ?

Eric
10-03-2011, 05:39 AM   #446
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Paleo Pete, nice one, espcially with that "rigmarole".

Tiny flower on not so tiny flower
10-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #447
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by erkie Quote
Ok just so you know that shrubs ain't my cup o tea But I'm going to say Rhaphiolepis indica AKA "Pink Lady" AKA "Indian Hawthorn" But the foliage is a little more silver than i am used to .

Out of curiosity do the blooms turn into a little fruit/berry ?

Eric
Thanks for the reply - Indian Hawthorn is close, but not a match, imo. The blossoms look a bit different and the leaves are much darker on the Hawthorn. Similar size/shape and hardiness as what I have, though. Ours handled the relentless heat this summer pretty well, and bloomed with just a trace of rain. No fruit or berries, btw. Thanks for the suggestion & I'll keep investigating. I have a feeling Pete will know if he drops by here - he's pretty familiar with plant life in south/central US.
10-04-2011, 07:02 PM   #448
Veteran Member

Yep the foliage looked a bit pale for me too. Especially if they don't produce a little berry. Sorry

Eric
10-06-2011, 01:33 PM   #449
Veteran Member

Last edited by hangman43; 10-06-2011 at 04:38 PM.
10-06-2011, 02:57 PM   #450
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Noel - thanks, I like my binocular macro rig. Gets me some really nice pictures. I've been using it for insects the past few days, should be posting some shots in the insects thread before long. Nothing in the tiny flower department though, most of them I find right now are either too large or I've already posted them. But before long I'll be seeing Henbit again...

Hangman - nice shots. Cardinal Flower at top is a bit large for this thread though, it's over an inch tall and wider than it is tall. The Asters below, maybe, depends on what Aster. Some are dime size, some more like half dollar size. I see both and the Cardinal Flower around here every day. Got some very nice shots of Cardinal Flower last week and didn't post them here because of size. Please try to remember we're trying to keep everything very small here, dime size at most. I've seen very few that exceed that size, and rarely comment on it but maybe it's time for a reminder, since some folks might not check out the first page. I got a shot earlier this year very similar to the 3 asters in your next to last picture, but without any others in the background. Yours both look good.