To the other side
11-09-2020, 11:30 PM - 3 Likes   #1293
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sarchochilus Orchid flower, Pentax K10d & SMC D-FA 50mm f2.8 Macro;

11-23-2020, 02:57 PM   #1294
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Grass flower, from a lawn that needs mowing , Pentax KP & SMC D-FA 50mm f2.8 Macro;

11-27-2020, 09:59 PM - 1 Like   #1295
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pigeon Berry in a local hedge, Pentax Optio A30;

12-06-2020, 11:47 AM - 2 Likes   #1296
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A teeny-tiny orchid, Schoenorchis fragrans. The whole plant is no bigger than my thumb, the flowers are barely more than pin-head size. Native in southeast Asia.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
12-18-2020, 01:24 AM - 1 Like   #1297
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Plectranthus flower, Pentax KP & SMC D-FA 50mm f2.8 Macro;

12-20-2020, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #1298
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Poinsettia relative

Couple of images of Euphorbia leucocephala, a relative of Poinsettia (Euphorbia pulcherrima). Like Poinsettias, the "color" part of the plant is NOT the flower, it's a modified leaf, called a "bract". The actual flowers are tiny and in the center of the "colored" part. First, a view of the whole plant, which grows as a big shrub (can be pruned to a small tree), and then a close-up of several clusters of the white bracts with the itty-bitty star-shaped flowers in the center of each cluster. Blooms at this time of year (winter) like poinsettias.

The shrub, in my back yard and

Closer view of the bracts and flowers:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
12-21-2020, 02:28 PM   #1299
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
relative of Poinsettia
I didn't know that - thank you !. These grow particularly well here, and the shows of white flowers often live up to their snow related common names eg "Snowflake". I'm fond of the Euphorbias and have tried several of the fleshier ones in pots here but they are prone to rot in the summer humidity, unless kept under the eaves, limiting their size.
12-21-2020, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #1300
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You're very welcome, my pleasure. Euphorbia is a huge genus, probably hundreds of species, many of them extremely handsome plants. This one grows very well here in southern Florida as long as it gets plenty of sun. I don't know the climate in Brisbane, sorry, but the "humidity" here in summer is awful, unbearable. It's our wet season, very rainy. I think this plant would probably be fine in your garden as long as it has good drainage during "the wet". It gets absolutely no special treatment, other than the sun exposure Poinsettias can be garden plants here, too, although they aren't as happy as this shrub and they have a "short day" light requirement in order to bloom. Some Euphorbias are quite succulent and prefer a drier environment.

Ah, yes, snowflake... that's one of many common names for this plant. You should try it, good drainage and full sun, and give it room. The one in this image started as a smallish plant in a 6" (15cm?) pot that rooted in place before I could transplant it, less than a year ago. I do plan to prune it when it enters its dormant phase later in the winter, otherwise it will take over the entire back yard!
12-23-2020, 03:57 PM   #1301
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
"short day" light requirement
Might be why I don't see many around in suburban gardens here. I spoke with someone once who had lived in both climates, and they rated us as a shade or so more temperate than Florida, especially in the drier months.

An unknown herb in flower in the front lawn - haven't been able to identify it yet. Ricoh WG-6;

12-23-2020, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #1302
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rjbrett Quote
Might be why I don't see many around in suburban gardens here. I spoke with someone once who had lived in both climates, and they rated us as a shade or so more temperate than Florida, especially in the drier months.

An unknown herb in flower in the front lawn - haven't been able to identify it yet. Ricoh WG-6;

Well, the "short day" stuff means that the plants have to have at least 12 hours of complete darkness about two months before you want them to bloom. Commercial poinsettia growers have control over the amount of light the plants get, so they can force the plants to bloom for Christmas.

Yah, it's pretty subtropical here most of the time, some winters it never gets cool enough to even close the windows. But some winters, we do get a few chilly nights, temperatures down into the 40sF. This Friday is going to be one of those nights, forecast (I am not making this up) is for "falling temperatures and falling iguanas..." This neighborhood is right on the thermocline dividing "coastal" and "inland" temperatures. Depending on the wind direction, we can be on the colder or warmer side of the air mass. Actually I don't think "wild" poinsettias would be much troubled by that, but the fancy hybrid ones are less tolerant of cooler weather.

My apology, I re-read your post about the snowflake and realized -- after I posted my note -- that they do grow in your area. Sorry I can't help with your purple-flowered herb, doesn't look familiar to me at all.

Best wishes for a safe and joyful holiday, to you and all!
01-26-2021, 02:35 PM - 2 Likes   #1303
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dunno what it is, was sitting in my mums home at window

02-05-2021, 02:47 PM - 2 Likes   #1304
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Creeping Tick Trefoil, from my front lawn. Pentax KP & SMC D-FA 50mm f2.8 Macro;

02-13-2021, 02:30 PM - 1 Like   #1305
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Eugenia uniflora, "surinam cherry", known commonly hereabouts as "cherry".. A very common hedge plant, these were planted by my Dad in the late 1950s or early 1960s to screen the patio. Almost indestructible, they've survived all the hurricanes, the handful of frosts/freezes, the deluges and droughts. These little flowers will eventually produce cute little edible fruits that look like tiny (1 inch, 2cm max) glossy pumpkins. Quite tart when orange/red, very sweet when purple/black. No fruit on the hedge right now, I'll shoot some when they get going.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo