Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2010, 06:06 AM   #241
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Miguel - Nice shot. I won't even comment on what it reminds me of.

11-15-2010, 07:50 PM   #242
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I kind of like this one for the river backgound

11-16-2010, 12:04 AM   #243
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With a little tweaking the 1st one could make a great aviator
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Just a few I took the other day.
Nice series of images.
QuoteOriginally posted by Bud Quote
A few that I have seen on trips to Lake Hope State park in SE Ohio

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
I liked this one for the autumn background as much as anything.
Crisp image, nice work.
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
One from this weekend. With the colder weather coming on it'll be more challenging to find good photo ops.

Last edited by jax_zee; 11-16-2010 at 12:26 AM.
11-16-2010, 04:03 PM   #244
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
ramseybuckeye - That's interesting seeing the fungus growing out of the fungus. I would agree about the river background. Nice and fitting.

11-16-2010, 05:07 PM   #245

I found this twig in some local woodland on the weekend. It was getting late and we were freezing our butts off, so I decided to bring it home with me - a rare thing for me, I usually leave things be.
I knew I wouldn't be able to take a good shot of it in the woods with the kit I had with me; I really wanted to get it set up on my table and make a good, sharp, well lit observation.
The twig was about 25mm (1 inch) in width, and the magnification ratio here is about 1:2. The little coral-like blobs are a few millimetres across.

Has anybody else seen or identified a fungus like this? I expect it's quite common, but it's unfamiliar to me.

100% crop:
11-16-2010, 07:10 PM   #246
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
ramseybuckeye - That's interesting seeing the fungus growing out of the fungus. I would agree about the river background. Nice and fitting.
Thanks Eccs

QuoteOriginally posted by Spongefingers Quote
I found this twig in some local woodland on the weekend. It was getting late and we were freezing our butts off, so I decided to bring it home with me - a rare thing for me, I usually leave things be.
I knew I wouldn't be able to take a good shot of it in the woods with the kit I had with me; I really wanted to get it set up on my table and make a good, sharp, well lit observation.
The twig was about 25mm (1 inch) in width, and the magnification ratio here is about 1:2. The little coral-like blobs are a few millimetres across.

Has anybody else seen or identified a fungus like this? I expect it's quite common, but it's unfamiliar to me.
Cool looking fungi, I haven't seen it in Ohio. That spongy texture looks like some mushrooms. Th white around the edges is interesting. Don't eat it!
11-17-2010, 09:32 AM   #247
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Haven't a clue what it is.....

dave

11-17-2010, 02:55 PM   #248
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Spongefingers - That is definitely a different looking fungus. The texture looks a lot like a Morel mushroom, but it's WAY TO small. The Great Morel Home Page

dave kitson - I'm no expert, but I think it's just a normal tree fungus, but it's an very nice capture with them all clumped together like that. I really like that shot.
11-18-2010, 06:23 PM   #249

QuoteOriginally posted by dave kitson Quote
Haven't a clue what it is.....

dave
Looks like Dryad's Saddle (Polyporus squamosus.) Common in the UK. Edible, apparently, but don't eat it please - just in case I'm wrong!
Nice find - it can be good to get a shot where both the top and undersides of some fungi can be seen.

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
Spongefingers - That is definitely a different looking fungus. The texture looks a lot like a Morel mushroom, but it's WAY TO small. The Great Morel Home Page

dave kitson - I'm no expert, but I think it's just a normal tree fungus, but it's an very nice capture with them all clumped together like that. I really like that shot.
A web domain devoted to a single mushroom! The internet truly has everything... but a Dryad's Saddle appreciation site? Some mushrooms hold more popular appeal than others - maybe there's a ranking site somewhere...

Some sulphur tufts I shot in 2008 for a competition I didn't win.
11-19-2010, 06:38 PM   #250
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Spongefingers - Shame you didn't win. The shot has good potential. I think a little more DOF would have helped. Overall nicely done.
11-28-2010, 09:55 PM   #251
Pentaxian

Bright colors amid the near-bleakness of approaching winter.

M
11-29-2010, 04:49 PM   #252
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Miguel - I was thinking this thread was dying with the weather going the way it has around here. I like the colors of those mushrooms, and the angle you shot them at. They look like little bubbles.
11-29-2010, 09:54 PM   #253
Pentaxian

Thank you.

I didn't expect to find much either, but I was able to shoot a few other colorful fungi that I'll be posting soon. All of these were nursed by a cut log which I assume provided some protection from the brief snow and serious cold we just endured. Of course serious cold here in Puget Sound is around 18-25 degrees F.

Now we're back to mid-to-low 40s. And rain.

M
12-26-2010, 09:57 PM   #254
Pentaxian

12-29-2010, 02:47 PM   #255
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
SpecialK - Those are really strange looking ones. Are they half dead and shrivelled up, or is that the way they actually look? Cool looking regardless.