Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2010, 04:27 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got this shot while paddling on Otsego Lake 2 summers ago.

Last edited by reeftool; 12-29-2016 at 04:42 PM.
09-11-2010, 05:30 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
reeftool - I don't think I've ever seen one growing out of the water like that. Reflection works well with it. Cool!
09-11-2010, 06:41 PM   #48
Pentaxian

I haven't seen one like this before which was why I took the shot. I haven't seen one like this since, either. It was quite large.
09-12-2010, 12:45 PM   #49
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spongefingers Quote
Blue, that red fungus is a great find. Is that the sort that splits apart into a star-shape? (can't remember the name.)
Tamia, those glistening rained-on mushrooms are nicely unusual - really good image.

. . .
Here is what it looks like after it splits:

09-12-2010, 01:04 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Some colored fungus from the south america:

IMGP0449 por hcarvalhoalves, no Flickr
09-12-2010, 04:45 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
hcarvalhoalves - nice colors in that. Don't see something like that very often. Nicely captured.
09-13-2010, 05:52 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Reeftool, that is very odd. Any chance the water level rose after the 'shroom matured? Great shot.

Blue, that "exploded" shot is eerie. A beautiful specimen. Never saw one in the wild.

Hcarvalhoalves, welcome to the forum! What a beautiful fungi, colored like a pumpkin.

Here's a fungi I came across when hiking in the northern Adirondacks, in deep woods. I have no idea what it is, but it reminded me of a caricature of a puppy (long wide snout to the left, a couple legs on the lower right of the "body"). It's tasty for someone -- it's been nibbled. This was shot the same day as the previous one I posted of the bracket fungi. This one is about four inches long.

09-13-2010, 08:13 AM   #53
Pentaxian

Tamia, I'm not familiar with the water levels in Otsego Lake to know. I usually would expect to see a fungus in the woods but this was out in the bright sun, in the open. On that particular year, the levels everywhere were quite high and the water was very cloudy, almost milky due to heavy rains the week before. The soil there was full of a white, chalky clay. We went there because it was somewhere different. We had talked about spending a few days around Cooperstown and made the trip. This was shot in Glimmerglass State Park. A great spot for a wildlife photographer BTW. The campground and park are full of deer and used to people so you can get pretty close. It also has some great old buildings on the grounds and the oldest covered bridge in the US along with the odd fungus.
09-13-2010, 03:16 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
tamia - that is one ugly looking fungus, that's for sure. Well captured.
09-13-2010, 05:43 PM   #55

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
It does that. I took that in my yard in SoCal 7 years ago. It was at the foot of the San Bernardino Mtns about 1 mile below the snow line. It is one of the Phallaceae, the Stinkhorns. That is a rather weird but interesting group. The anatomic looking one was taken here in north Florida.

Edit: Here is one of the more weird ones.

orimath: A Strange Mushroom ( Zombie Hand )

I used to see some that looked like a finger coming out of the ground.
Thanks for the info and link. That "Zombie Hand" fungus is brilliantly creepy.

Here are some I found on the same day and same woodland as the last picture I posted, October 2009.
Each were only a few millimetres across; They look quite like jelly ear fungi, but with eyelashes added!

09-14-2010, 05:11 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Tamia, I'm not familiar with the water levels in Otsego Lake to know. I usually would expect to see a fungus in the woods but this was out in the bright sun, in the open. On that particular year, the levels everywhere were quite high and the water was very cloudy, almost milky due to heavy rains the week before. The soil there was full of a white, chalky clay. We went there because it was somewhere different. We had talked about spending a few days around Cooperstown and made the trip. This was shot in Glimmerglass State Park. A great spot for a wildlife photographer BTW. The campground and park are full of deer and used to people so you can get pretty close. It also has some great old buildings on the grounds and the oldest covered bridge in the US along with the odd fungus.
Yes, I thought of that also, that the fungus was in the bright sun. I've heard of Glimmerglass and will have to stop there someday.

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
tamia - that is one ugly looking fungus, that's for sure. Well captured.
Thanks, Eccs19. It IS ugly! I still haven't found it in my guides.

I do know this one, an Apricot Fungi. A bit out of focus, but my fingers are there for scale. The texture is like gummi bears, and it lasted only a couple of days in a damp deep woods.

09-14-2010, 04:46 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Spongefingers - those really are strange looking fungus, that for sure. Is there a plural for more than one fungus?
Tamia - another strange looking one. You seem to know your fungus very well. You can be our resident expert.
09-14-2010, 04:52 PM   #58
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
Spongefingers - those really are strange looking fungus, that for sure. Is there a plural for more than one fungus?
Tamia - another strange looking one. You seem to know your fungus very well. You can be our resident expert.
The plural of fungus is fungi.
09-14-2010, 05:13 PM   #59
Veteran Member

I guess I'll have to dig out my mushroom book...

Jimbow - That inside out mushroom grows naturally like that, it's either a chanthrelle or Russula, I'm not sure which. I think a couple of others grow like that, I'll have to do some looking.

Tamia - Yours is a fairly common fungus that grows on dead wood, I'll have to look it up. Later on in life it gets pretty big and usually fan shaped, but can develop some odd shapes. Basically if it's what I think it is, it's edible but too tough to fool with.

I don't remember the others I wanted to comment on, too many of them to remember...I have some mushroom pictures, I've been picking and eating wild ones for over 20 years, so taking pictures is right up my alley, although I haven't seen many this year and don't have any on the laptop. Maybe as fall progresses we'll have more here and I can get some good shots.
09-15-2010, 08:03 PM   #60

QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
I guess I'll have to dig out my mushroom book...

Jimbow - That inside out mushroom grows naturally like that, it's either a chanthrelle or Russula, I'm not sure which. I think a couple of others grow like that, I'll have to do some looking.

Tamia - Yours is a fairly common fungus that grows on dead wood, I'll have to look it up. Later on in life it gets pretty big and usually fan shaped, but can develop some odd shapes. Basically if it's what I think it is, it's edible but too tough to fool with.

I don't remember the others I wanted to comment on, too many of them to remember...I have some mushroom pictures, I've been picking and eating wild ones for over 20 years, so taking pictures is right up my alley, although I haven't seen many this year and don't have any on the laptop. Maybe as fall progresses we'll have more here and I can get some good shots.
Thanks Pete, I'm never to sure of what I'm taking a shot of some turn out and some don't. Its nice to find out what it was. Thanks again