Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 88 Likes Search this Thread
09-20-2010, 04:56 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
jheu02 - That one looks a lot like one called "Cauliflower Fungus", for obvious reasons. If it is, it's edible and good. Also similar to "Scrambled Egg Fungus",which is a bit more yellow. Both edible.

I don't know what the others are, over 500 varieties in my book, takes a while to look one up...

QuoteQuote:
Pete, in your warning statement, I am sure you meant "wash your hands" not what you said.

Nope, I meant it like I said it, I'm sure you mistook my statement.. here it is again.

If you happen to handle Amanita Virosa and do not wash your hands...

If you handle some mushrooms, and don't take steps to avoid personal contamination...

Anyway, here are a couple more.

Agaricus Campestris, the Meadow Mushroom or Pink Bottom. When young the gills are pink, the color of a pencil eraser. Later they turn brown, likke this one. This is a very close relative of the one you find for sale in the produce section of the grocery store, Agaricus Bisporus. The difference is microscopic. The gills of all mushrooms contain small sacs called Basidium, where the spores are produced. The Agaricus Campestris has 4 spores in each basidium, Agaricus Bisporus contains two.

Click on the picture to view larger size.

This one grows on wood, I haven't looked it up, but probably not edible. Only a few of this type fungus growing on wood are adible, usually too tough to deal with. Found it on a stump at a local park.

Click on the picture to view larger size.

09-20-2010, 06:57 PM   #77
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Well, thanks Pete for clarifying your statement. Actually, after thinking about it, I've heard that before too but can't remember why washing them would matter. Especially, if you scrub your fingernails.

Last edited by photolady95; 09-20-2010 at 07:25 PM.
09-21-2010, 02:49 PM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
It is a Lenmar RX-7 85-210mm f4.5 and macro of 1:3. That quality in what is out of focus is one of the few reasons the lens remains with me for the moment.
That looks like it's a keeper for sure. Having a unique lens like that is great.
09-21-2010, 02:52 PM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Paleo Pete - Another nice series. Really like the second one. They look like sea shells.

I understand getting confused on your hand washing statement, I read it a couple times before it read right.

09-21-2010, 07:05 PM   #80
Veteran Member

These things are all over here. (Pete) there's only 2 that I'll eat, morell's and Wood oysters, yours dont look like oysters. Have puff balls too, people 'get em' quick.
can find truffels in southern part of state, folks 'root em out' with trained hogs.
(read muzzled hogs)
Attached Images

09-21-2010, 07:14 PM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
BillM - That is an interesting cluster of mushrooms. Usually you see mushrooms like that growing individually. Nicely done.
09-21-2010, 10:01 PM   #82

Great thread!
Here is my effort. Focus stacked image - using K20 and Vivitar series 1 105mm macro.
Cheers!

09-22-2010, 02:00 PM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
MattC - Nice job on the Focus Stacked image. I've heard of people doing this. I've not done it myself. Is there special software you use for this? Those mushrooms look like those chocolate shells you can buy.
09-22-2010, 04:12 PM   #84

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
MattC - Nice job on the Focus Stacked image. I've heard of people doing this. I've not done it myself. Is there special software you use for this? Those mushrooms look like those chocolate shells you can buy.
Thanks!
I used the free software CombineZP to do this, but there are also commercial programs you can get too.
The main trick is to get enough frames to cover all the area you want in focus. Static subjects like this are much easier, as you can use a tripod, and take your time
09-23-2010, 11:03 AM   #85
Veteran Member

09-23-2010, 12:58 PM   #86
Veteran Member

Wow wllm..those are some really nice close shots...the second one looks like a desert shot from above.
09-23-2010, 03:54 PM   #87

love that second photo - it has a great abstract quality to it.
09-23-2010, 04:08 PM   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
wllm - Those are great macro's. I have to agree with agsy, the second one is really great.
09-24-2010, 07:19 AM   #89
Veteran Member

Thanks a lot.
I don't know what kind of mushroom this is, but he is quite large, about 25 cm high and 18/20 cm diameter.
09-24-2010, 09:31 AM   #90
Veteran Member

BillM - I can't give you a definite ID, I don't have one in my hand so I can't get a spore print, slice it to see if it "bleeds", look at spores under a microscope, etc. But as far as just a picture to go by can get me, it looks a lot like Clitocybe Dilatata. Edibility unknown, grows in clusters.

wllm - those are some cool macros. I like all of 'em. Again I can't do a definite ID, but it strongly resembles Clorophyllum Molybdites - poisonous, grows in fairy rings in yards in wet weather. Closely resembles some of the deadly Amanitas. as do most of the Lepiotas, so eating them is not advisable unless one can get a good defionite ID. And some of the Lepiotas are edible and very good...