Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 88 Likes Search this Thread
10-10-2010, 07:51 AM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
wllm - another great set. Is that last one a pretzel mushroom?
Hehe...Simblum Sphaerocephalum - Chambered Stinkhorn. So named for a good reason. That's as close as I can get anyway, but if he says it smells bad, it's most likely a stinkhorn of some type.

Willm - Great shots, some of the macros look like something out of a sci fi movie. Your white puffball with pointed warts is edible, I've cooked them before. Pretty good too but the outer skin has to go.

jheu02 - That looks like Polyporus Varicolor. GRows on wood, edibility unknown.

reeftool - I would almost bet Tamia is right on the red one, Russula Emetica is a dead ringer. poisonous most likely. I see them all over the place down here, one of the first ones I ever identified. The other one I'm not sure, could be any of several varieties that form upside down caps.

Tamia those puffballs might be edible, if they are white inside and don't small bad. And if you can get them before the spores ripen and are large enough to fool with...

I'm not seeing a thing right now, no rain here at all, burn ban in effect, and it's late for the fall monsoon season. If we don't get rain soon, the ducks will pass up my favorite winter spot, it's dry still...I hope we get some rain soon, I just got a screw mount 75-300 working, I wanna see some DUCKS...adapter came in yesterday, it works great but nothing to show off yet. It won't be long though...

10-10-2010, 10:48 AM   #137
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well...it's not MY fungus, just found it....

10-10-2010, 06:25 PM   #138
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Rense - That is a lovely looking fungus. Can't say as I've seen one like that in my neck of the woods.
10-10-2010, 07:17 PM   #139
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shroom Carpet

Went to mow the yard today and found an ~ 3' x 5' section filled with these tiny shrooms. Took the first shot with just a 28mm from about 1' to show relative size. There's a small triangular cluster in the center of 6 shrooms which is the subject of the 2nd shot taken with that same 28mm but with also a 31mm tube. Third of a different part of the field, but also with the tube attached. The bells are about the size of a pencil eraser and smaller. Had to set the camera on the ground about 1cm from them with focus at infinity. Tubes sure change things!

Vivitar (Komine) 1:2.8 28mm @ f/4

Vivitar (Komine) 1:2.8 28mm w/ 31mm tube @ f/8

Vivitar (Komine) 1:2.8 28mm w/ 31mm tube @ f/8

10-10-2010, 09:10 PM   #140
Veteran Member

nice job with the tubes & small ones jheu, I've came across small ones like that and
just couldnt 'get in there' with normal lens that I had with me.
This one is about 6 inches (1.5cm) so it was easy.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
10-11-2010, 06:13 AM   #141
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
jheu02 - Nice job with those tubes. You've got great detail on those macros.
BillM - Looks like that ones just about had it. Shaggy Mane I believe.
10-11-2010, 06:49 AM   #142
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Nice looking shrooms you guys have posted. I found a new one in my front yard a few days ago.

I think this is the same type but in its earlier stage:

10-11-2010, 10:29 AM   #143
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Photolady - Looks like that one is getting near it's shelf life. I think the season for fungus must be getting close to an end. (at least in my neck of the woods) They all seem to be getting kind of ratty looking.
10-11-2010, 06:36 PM   #144
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1st is attached to a log I need to cut and split for firewood (no flash, 8" exposure). 2nd is in our garden near some pole beans (or what's left of them anyway) with flash due to handheld, low light and nowhere to put the tripod.

SMC-Pentax 1:1.8 55mm with 31mm tube @ f/13
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
10-12-2010, 04:24 AM   #145
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
jheu02 - Those first ones must have been tiny with using your 50mm with tubes. Looks good for handheld. A couple of those other ones look like fried eggs.
10-12-2010, 06:13 AM   #146
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
Looks like that one is getting near it's shelf life.
Mine were not there one day, then the next morning they were. I don't think they were old as shrooms don't stay long in my yard. If the squirrels don't get them, my nephew mows them down.
10-12-2010, 08:08 AM   #147
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
my nephew mows them down.
Lucky you, I have to mow my own mushrooms down.
10-12-2010, 10:03 AM   #148
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What a wonderful variety you folks have posted. Pete, yes, I could have eaten some of those puffballs, but most had already filled with spoors. Rense, I saw a cluster of fungi just like those a week ago. Not sure what they are. John, what a great job you did with those little 'shrooms.

Inky caps sprouted up around the shed last week, and here's a photo of a cluster of fresh ones in front of a cluster which are pretty well gone:

10-12-2010, 10:50 AM   #149
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
jheu02 - Those first ones must have been tiny with using your 50mm with tubes. Looks good for handheld.
Actually, the tiny ones (about the size of a pencil eraser, though a little more oblong) were shot with a 28mm lens and 31mm tube (does that make it effectively 1:1 magnification???). I sat the camera on the ground, on top of some of them actually, and had to get the lens within about 1cm of the shrooms at infinity focus! Just moved the camera as needed to bring the image into focus and then used the 2" timer for mirror lockup.
10-12-2010, 03:13 PM   #150
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
tamia - That great that you were able to get that one picture with fresh & expired shaggy manes (ink caps). I've actually never heard of them call ink caps before. Maybe yours is the actual real name..?? Have you eaten those before? I like them fried in butter.