Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 88 Likes Search this Thread
11-08-2010, 04:11 PM   #226
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
jax_zee - Nice fungus. Love the detail on the top of it, nice and crisp.
smc - Nice series. Toss up between the first and last as my favorite. Is that water on the top of them, or is the fungus secreting that fluid?
Paleo Pete - Nice sized puffball. Looks like it's seen better days. Is it all rotten inside yet?

11-08-2010, 04:23 PM   #227
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jax_zee, the texture in the tree stump combined with the patterns of the fungus is well executed. Rich color too.

smc, those same mushrooms came up yesterday south of the border too. Nice and slimy.

Paleo Pete, I haven't encountered puffballs that size in a long while. Love your reference tool.

M
11-09-2010, 07:10 AM   #228
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
Paleo Pete - Nice sized puffball. Looks like it's seen better days. Is it all rotten inside yet?
Nope, that's its natural coloring, and it was fresh and would have been great on the table, but it was found in a wildlife management area so I had to refrain from picking it. That one has a thick brown mottled skin, you peel it off and it's solid white inside, and very good. A little butter, a sprinkle of light seasoning and it's excellent...it turns dark brown and saggy after the spores inside ripen and it starts to decompose. yeah, it's pretty ugly then...
11-09-2010, 09:24 AM   #229
Forum Member

Thanks for the comments eccs19 and Miguel. As I was walking along a trail and spotted this mushroom, what at first caught my eye was the position of the leave along side the mushroom. As I was snapped of a few, a older fella and his friend were passing by and with a puzzled look glanced at his companion and said "look at that guy over there; he's taking pictures of mushrooms"...I guess some people don't see the beauty of the simple things in nature.

11-09-2010, 03:28 PM   #230
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jax_zee Quote
Thanks for the comments eccs19 and Miguel. As I was walking along a trail and spotted this mushroom, what at first caught my eye was the position of the leave along side the mushroom. As I was snapped of a few, a older fella and his friend were passing by and with a puzzled look glanced at his companion and said "look at that guy over there; he's taking pictures of mushrooms"...I guess some people don't see the beauty of the simple things in nature.
Funny how some people just don't see the beauty of things like that.
11-09-2010, 06:45 PM   #231
Pentaxian

Just a few I took the other day.

11-09-2010, 06:54 PM   #232
Bud
Veteran Member

A few that I have seen on trips to Lake Hope State park in SE Ohio

11-09-2010, 07:01 PM   #233
Pentaxian

And two old ones, scanned from film.

11-09-2010, 10:41 PM   #234
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bud, I like all of those, especially the 3rd, 4th, and 5th. Wish I would run across these last three in my typical stomping grounds.

M
11-09-2010, 10:56 PM   #235
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You are welcome.
Be fortunate that these passersby are treating you with benign neglect. They could have taken an active interest in what you are doing by lurching over and asking questions. Or better yet, ask you about your gear as your chin is in the muck while trying to ensure focus in Liveview.

I live and sell and coach youth sports in a relatively affluent small town, and have to suffer this stuff gladly. :ugh:

M

QuoteOriginally posted by jax_zee Quote
11-09-2010, 11:01 PM   #236
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K20D, FA 50mm macro f2.8 @ f13, 3/10, ISO 800

I liked this one for the autumn background as much as anything.

M
11-10-2010, 02:28 PM   #237
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
normhead - nice couple of shots. I like the first one with the three of them growing out of the one spot. Can't say as I've seen something like that before.
bud - quite a collection you've got there. They are all very unusual looking fungus. I think the third one would be my favorite out of the bunch.
normhead again - two more nice looking shots. Film just has that "look" that digital doesn't have. Nicely done.
Miguel - Your right about the nice looking fall background. It suits the shot.
11-10-2010, 08:53 PM   #238
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A couple more shot with my Kiron 28-70mm on a 31mm tube @ f/16.

Stairway

11-11-2010, 06:59 PM   #239
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
jheu02 - Nice shots. With tubes on, I suspect that those were small fungus, but if you hadn't mentioned tubes, I would have just assumed they were regular sized fungus.
11-14-2010, 11:46 PM   #240
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One from this weekend. With the colder weather coming on it'll be more challenging to find good photo ops.

K20D, FA 50mm macro, f13 @ 7/10, ISO 200 + diffused flash

M