Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 92 Likes Search this Thread
03-29-2013, 06:10 AM   #106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
All double-posting up in here (because I didn't realize we weren't limited to just rainbows).

Last summer we had a storm roll in just as we were headed into Sam's Club to do some shopping.

By the time we left and drove the half hour home, the sky had turned blood red. This second shot is SOOC and was rendered pretty darn accurately by the Pentax sensor.

To get that red sky, it takes a lot of dust particles in the air (what we call aerosol particles). Since they scatter the light, and since they do it differently for different wave lengths of the light, you get a more red sky.

03-30-2013, 02:40 AM   #107
Forum Member

Some halos from December. I went to shoot stars and this was the only picture I got

03-30-2013, 03:22 AM - 1 Like   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is an oldie, it was my first shootout with the DA14. Finally got something wide and then the subject still would not fit

Under the rainbow
03-30-2013, 03:26 AM   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
This is an oldie, it was my first shootout with the DA14. Finally got something wide and then the subject still would not fit

Under the rainbow
I know, the DA fisheye is the only lens I have that can cover a complete rainbow. You need to learn stitching. Nice shot anyway!

03-30-2013, 03:30 AM   #110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ErZi Quote
Some halos from December. I went to shoot stars and this was the only picture I got
I looks similar to the halo pillars you can see vertically through the sun or the moon. But I think it isn't high altitude cirrus ice crystals here that reflected the light. It looks like each pillar connects to a light source on the ground, right? Then the crystals must be much closer, but if it was cold enough you could have had an ice fog, and then this could happen.
03-30-2013, 05:06 AM   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
I know, the DA fisheye is the only lens I have that can cover a complete rainbow. You need to learn stitching. Nice shot anyway!
Yeah, I know but only realised this later
Thanks anyway.
03-30-2013, 05:32 AM   #112
Forum Member

I looks similar to the halo pillars you can see vertically through the sun or the moon. But I think it isn't high altitude cirrus ice crystals here that reflected the light. It looks like each pillar connects to a light source on the ground, right? Then the crystals must be much closer, but if it was cold enough you could have had an ice fog, and then this could happen.
You are right. I was thinking that it is the same phenomena "light pillar" that you can some times see with sun. These ones were quite low and temperature was below freezing. Maybe sea was not frozen yet so that could be source of that humidity because I don't remember any sightings from the inland.

03-30-2013, 07:02 AM   #113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ErZi Quote
You are right. I was thinking that it is the same phenomena "light pillar" that you can some times see with sun. These ones were quite low and temperature was below freezing. Maybe sea was not frozen yet so that could be source of that humidity because I don't remember any sightings from the inland.
Anyway, the picture makes me expect some space ship rising from behind the pine trees...
03-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #114
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry for my slow response. Have been working too much this winter and not had time for the forum.
What you have in that excellent shot is a deck of cirrus clouds, that means ice chrystal clouds at a height of about 10km. The pattern is caused by gravity waves in the atmosphere. Such waves are common and often leave no trace that we can see without sophisticated instruments. However, sometimes a cloud is so close to forming chrystals (or droplets) that the vertical motion caused by the waves are enough to form and evaporate the clouds in the upward and downward parts of the wave, respectively. There can be gravity waves of different wavelenght, or even different directions present at the same time. It looks like you have that in part of the image, which cause the criss-cross pattern as the waves cross each other and superimpose. Sometimes you can observe the corresponding behavior on small water surface waves when waves from different sources meet. The gravity waves are typically created by for example fronts, high storm clouds, air flow over mountains etc.
Thanks, Douglas. Ah, yes ... work

Richard.
05-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #115
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sunrise over Didcot Power Station:

K5
DA*55
f/5.6
05-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #116
Veteran Member

Makes me feel better about the decision to go with the Sigma 10-20mm then. I was tossing a bunch of different UWAs trhough the ol' brainpan trying to decide on one and went with the Sigma due to the constant aperture and odd number of blades. This is at 10mm. I kind of went to twon with the post processing since at ISO1600 any attempt at making the rainbow pop resulted in a mess of grainy noise. I hadn't even noticed the second rainbow until I was processing it, otherwise I would have tilted up a touch more.

03-12-2014, 08:03 AM   #117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the moon & clouds at sunset...

03-17-2014, 07:15 AM   #118
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Apologies for the quality, but this is a scan of a slide I took from the top of a water tower in Malawi about 40 years ago. The sunset was behind me. A long time before my first Pentax - the camera was a Mamiya Ranger as I recall.

05-06-2014, 05:49 PM   #119
Pentaxian

This rainbow sky persisted for a good while.

06-12-2014, 11:03 AM   #120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

(xposted from minimalist thread)