Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2010, 12:58 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I will give it a try. I find I have been extremely busy, and fitting shooting time in has been a bit difficult, but I will give it a go.

casil403
stillshunter
uccembug
mdf
axl
photolady
samski_1
NaClH2O
Wedgetail
psychdoc
Jimbow007
Icywarm
Bramela

09-23-2010, 01:46 PM   #17
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
nice to see you jumping in Bruce!
we have few more days before partner draw.... OMG I need to start thinking of 10 themes...
09-23-2010, 02:01 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

LOL @ axl . OMG I need to start thinking of 10 themes.

09-23-2010, 08:19 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
we have few more days before partner draw.... OMG I need to start thinking of 10 themes...
That's why I've been hesitant to join in...I don't think the rest of the "rules" have gelled enough yet. Is it multiple themes, or 1 theme expressed with 10 different shots? Do I get to pick my lens, or is it chosen by the partner? As with others, I know I'll be busy in October, so I'd like to have a etter idea of what I'm getting myself into before committing.

09-23-2010, 08:32 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I don't see how they, whoever, could dictate which lens we use because not everyone has the same lens.
09-23-2010, 08:58 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I don't see how they, whoever, could dictate which lens we use because not everyone has the same lens.
And often I don't have the same lens at the end of the month as those which with I started... but I am sure we can just give our partners a list... I have these X lens... and they can say ok for theme of Y use lens X... where X is equal to a lens in your collect and Y is in the Set of 10 Themes...
09-23-2010, 09:15 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jheu02 Quote
That's why I've been hesitant to join in...I don't think the rest of the "rules" have gelled enough yet. Is it multiple themes, or 1 theme expressed with 10 different shots? Do I get to pick my lens, or is it chosen by the partner? As with others, I know I'll be busy in October, so I'd like to have a etter idea of what I'm getting myself into before committing.
CIO sounds interesting but at the moment, I agree with you, John.
I am unclear as to the requirements for CIO other than being randomly partnered with somebody and having 10 shots or themes.
I guess I'd like to know more concrete info before joining.
If anyone can provide something detailed, I'd appreciate it.

09-23-2010, 09:31 PM   #23
Veteran Member

OK... I am laying something out there... we can ignore it or whatever...

10 themes:

1) Portrait... self or otherwise

2) Motion... sports, etc

3) Macro/Close-up... Not all lens can do real macro work... ergo

4) Still life... bowl of fruit...

5) Scape... city, land, sea...

6) Animals...

7) Architecture...

8) Food...

9) Technical... not of technology... but photography that serves a purpose... shows a home for sale, a part of a machine, etc...

10) Crazy-arse Artsy stuff... Nudes, Light dancing, etc...

There 10 themes... styles can vary... street portraits... lighting no lighting...

Once you are partnered, you PM your partner a list of lens you own/want to use... they select your tool...

you have 30 odd days to post your ten photos to the forum...

we all have a little fun... maybe pic a winner... maybe not... trade a photo in the end... make a new friend...

how does that sound?

Maybe make a joint Flickr album and both post to it... and like to it at the social group...
09-23-2010, 10:03 PM   #24

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote

10 themes:

2) Motion... sports, etc

6) Animals...

7) Architecture...

8) Food...

9) Technical... not of technology... but photography that serves a purpose... shows a home for sale, a part of a machine, etc...

There 10 themes... styles can vary... street portraits... lighting no lighting...

Once you are partnered, you PM your partner a list of lens you own/want to use... they select your tool...

we all have a little fun... maybe pic a winner... maybe not... trade a photo in the end... make a new friend...

how does that sound?

Maybe make a joint Flickr album and both post to it... and like to it at the social group...
I think you have nailed it there Icy. we can all shoot the same list of themes our parteners pick our lens , would it be fair to say we must supply min of 5 -10 to pick from.
Mark
09-23-2010, 10:40 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wedgetail Quote
I think you have nailed it there Icy. we can all shoot the same list of themes our parteners pick our lens , would it be fair to say we must supply min of 5 -10 to pick from.
Mark
I would have said sure last week... but I went on a purge and only have 5* lens... so other might be in the same boat or only have one or two... so I think we offer what we can...

*Not including my signature line... those I hope to have gone soon!
09-23-2010, 11:23 PM   #26
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
good that you guys are finally starting to take initiative and are coming up with ideas!
I for one am not keen on the ideas above but if it rocks everybody's boat, then I'm in... just list of themes doesn't gel with me
09-24-2010, 08:45 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
good that you guys are finally starting to take initiative and are coming up with ideas!
I for one am not keen on the ideas above but if it rocks everybody's boat, then I'm in... just list of themes doesn't gel with me
Not to be argumentative, what do you find problematic about the list of themes?...restrictive of creativity? or something else? A possible problem I see with it is city dwellers vs "country" not being able to get a great scenery shot or architecture for instance.

I don't necessarily like the partner picking the lens as it may not match up with theme (i.e. super zoom for a land scape, wide angle for wildlife), but maybe there's a way to do one or both in some combination. Some thoughts:

1. Expand the list of themes and have the partner pick the 10 but the shooter gets to pick his/her lens of choice for that challenge from whatever he/she has?

2. Everyone give a list of 5-10 lenses (or whatever you have) of varying focal lengths (brand matters not) and we get a roughly equivalent list of lenes that everyone gets to use: i.e. a list of 5 lenses might include a 28, 50, 70, 135, 200. The shooter could use a zoom to cover the specific focal length if need be, but the partner picks which one or two lenses for a specific week and the shooter picks whatever topic he/she wants.

3. Idea 2 modified so that each participant is using the same lens for the week, but the theme is picked by the partner from the list of 10 or expanded list.

4. Partners don't pick anything. This may be tougher to implement and may require Adam's help, but if all the teams shot either the same focal length or subject matter for a given week, the team could then submit whichever photo they thought best out of theirs to be pitted against the other teams' shots of that subject/focal length, and at either the end of the month or throughout the month a voting poll would enable everyone to vote which team's entry they liked best.

If done in a running manner it would be like a leader board with points awarded to the teams for 1st 2nd and 3rd based on number of votes received(5,3,1). This could lend itself to only 5 topics for the entire month, but may be kinda fun. Might be best to have the teams paired with one each Northern and Southern Hemispheres due to seasonal restrictions with shooting various topics and/or the desire to get out to shoot on a bleary vs sunny day...

I'd like to lean towards a common lens list or common topics list so we're comparing apples to apples, but I think what we've seen in SiS is that we all go through some dry spells idea wise, health-wsie, or time-wise, and so we should relieve a bit of the pressure for the daily shot, but if, as a team, we're submitting a "team shot" for judging, it will provide the little kick we all need from time to time to shoot, yet not just submit our "this is all I had time for today" shots. We'd all get a chance to really take our time, yet still have a little "weekly pressure."

October has 5 full weekends (even 5 3-day weekends if Fridays are counted), so if the teams are picked on the 30th, and a final "rules" set is in place, we could get started Friday the 1st, with a team photo submitted by Tues/Wed for voting by Wed/Thur, and a "leader board" posting to the common thread on Friday to start the next topic/lens/challenge.

This was just a bit of brainstorming, but any ideas of merit?
09-24-2010, 10:06 AM   #28
Veteran Member

themes

QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote

10 themes:

2) Motion... sports, etc

6) Animals...

7) Architecture...

8) Food...

how does that sound?

Fine with any themes selected; but just for the record, I would prefer to remain anonymous online; so I would not be exchanging photos by mail with anyone so as not to break the anonymity. I am sure everyone here is either sane or far away but that is just my personal rule for online forums and if there is any partner for this month, I just wanted to make it clear upfront.
09-24-2010, 11:33 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I kind of had my own idea for a theme with my partner so I guess I personally prefer that instead of the other one. But again, it is what the group as a whole decides.

I might also point out it is all well and good with all these ideas floating around, but it is 6 days until we have to do this so I think we should come up with a concrete idea/format/guideline ASAP. I for one am quite confused as to what we are actually doing at this point???????
Personally I am with samski's original idea...seems the least complicated and easiest to pull off.
09-24-2010, 12:14 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm definitely in!

casil403
stillshunter
uccembug
mdf
axl
photolady
samski_1
NaClH2O
Wedgetail
psychdoc
Jimbow007
Icywarm
Bramela
Duh_Vinci

I love the ideas for the challenge you guys/gals have, and absolutely open to either fixed or individual themes (from the partner of the challenge)

Regards,
D