Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-24-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Show me your Pulitzer" contest with prizes starts today

Let's get this show on the road and kick off this new contest. 10 pictures may be submitted during the life of the contest and the parameters are.------
I'm going to have 3 prizes.First prize is going to be a Quantaray 70-300mm Pentax mount lens with macro.This lens is less than a year old and comes with lens hood and UV filter and original box.You can see the photos taken with it by searching "quantaray" and looking at pics taken by "charliezap" 2nd prize is $75 and 3rd is $50.If you don't want the lens if you come in first then you can take the $75 for 2nd place and the 2nd place finisher gets the lens and if he or she doesn't want it --it goes to the 3rd place finisher. kind of like a yankee swapThe lens is close to mint condition.
I'm thinking of allowing 10 shots per person and the deadline will probably be around 6 months.The next statement should explain what I'm looking for in submissions to the contest.
I'm sick of seeing fluff pictures of sunrises,sunsets,kids,kittens,micros,macros-(sorry Rense)rainbows, cars,boats,planes,oceans,lakes-yada-yada-yada".I want the good stuff that you see in the news and other media that evoke anger,pride,tears,joy and other emotions.Pictures that become icons that we remember are everywhere.The world is full of events that happen daily not all of it good and if you're in the right spot at the right time you may capture an image that when viewed convey a thought provoking impression.The camera captures history and everday drama in an instant that sometimes evolves into an image that lasts for decades.The pictures can be with or without people in them just as long as they convey the theme as described.If you have any questions about the new contest feel free to respond via this thread or by PM.
I hope that I covered all bases and made it understandable as to what this contest is all about.
UNLEASH THE HOUNDS--THE GAME IS AFOOT--CHARLIEZAP ********** THE CONTEST WILL BE OVER SOMETIME IN SEPTEMBER----CHARLIEZAP added 7-16-2011

Last edited by charliezap; 07-16-2011 at 09:11 AM. Reason: UPDATE
09-25-2010, 07:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

This will be a tough one, but if I spot anything really good, you'll see it right here.
09-25-2010, 07:45 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So. I have to kill one of my colleagues, and make photos of it just to win this one?
09-25-2010, 08:01 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
This will be a tough one, but if I spot anything really good, you'll see it right here.
I agree with Pete. It will be a tough one. But if I see anything good.....

09-25-2010, 09:04 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
So. I have to kill one of my colleagues, and make photos of it just to win this one?
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbow007 Quote
I agree with Pete. It will be a tough one. But if I see anything good.....
no one said that this is going to be easy.And yes--killing of colleagues is allowed as long as it's done tastefully.I'm looking forward for the first photo to be entered.--charliezap[IMG][/IMG]
09-28-2010, 09:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'll get the ball rolling and bump up this thread. :-) I'll *try* to come up with something a bit more dramatic, but I think this photo tells a story - I call it Pilgrims. It was taken in a train station in Sri Lanka.

[IMG]
[/IMG]
09-28-2010, 02:29 PM   #7
Pentaxian

09-29-2010, 05:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Okay here is mine: "Living out There"
I was out last year 2 days before Christmas and spotted this homeless woman sleeping outside in -15C weather. When I got home I noticed the sign behind her
How apropos, the dichotomy here:

I have since learned her name (Gail) and have sat and spoken with her several times.
09-29-2010, 06:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Well 10 shots eh - here is a picture of baby petting a cute kitten taken with a macro lens on a boat over the sunet on a lake with a rainbow in the background.

Newsworthy in our part of the world. With the HUGE success (from a Canadian medal standpoint) of the 2010 Winter Olympic Games - my little part was to watch and capture the passing of the touch as the flame makes it's way from Athens to Vancouver. It passed through our little hamlet one winter day. I wish I knew who the atheletes were I'll try and find out later.

09-29-2010, 06:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

"For Dad"
A photo of Kim and Tim Wiwcha approaching the finish line to finish the race their father Wally had started in 2009. Wally took part in the Penticon Ironman 2009 but passed away after suffering health problems while in the water on the swim leg of the race. The brothers ran the race as a relay team with one doing the bike portion and the other the run portion, both wearing their father's race number (#27) from last year. It was quite emotional to see them complete the last race in the memory of their father who did not have the chance to finish.
This is a shot of them running down hand in hand for the final stretch towards the finish line.

09-29-2010, 08:29 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll bite. Here's one I took last week while in Indianapolis for work.
Amputee:

09-29-2010, 08:49 AM   #12
Pentaxian

It will have to wait until I finish writing my #1 best-seller. Give me a day or two...
09-30-2010, 01:20 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Earning a living...in front of the jewelry....

09-30-2010, 11:17 PM   #14
Banned

Supermarket in the street...

Supermarket in the street...
Attached Images

10-01-2010, 08:17 AM   #15
Forum Member

A child beggar (Cambodia)