Show Printable Version 3817 Likes Search this Thread
08-23-2017, 03:35 PM - 2 Likes   #1171
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

08-27-2017, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #1172
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Need I say this is a detail of a bird? But the feather shape and pattern is reminiscent of fish scales.
Attached Images

08-27-2017, 01:20 PM - 2 Likes   #1173
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

08-27-2017, 04:40 PM   #1174
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

once again, I like the curves and colors

cropped and pp

K 3 + SMC Pentax-DA 50mm F1.8

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
08-27-2017, 06:46 PM   #1175
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A deep crop, but no need to identify it although the the exact species is not obvious.
Attached Images

08-27-2017, 10:21 PM   #1176
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I like

Attachment 366862

the delicate color, the curving lines, the raised surfaces, the pink vs. the black vs. the yellow vs. the white

the light vs. the shadows

anything you folks like?

K 3 + SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro

hand held, natural light

Focal Length 100.0mm (35mm equivalent: 150mm)
Exposure Time 1/1000s (0.0010)
Aperture F/8.0
ISO Equivalent 3200

macro
I like this photograph. I would like to offer a suggestion even though this is not in the Critique Section. I have discovered in all my time in photography that harsh sunlight is never ideal. I usually wait until just before dusk when sunlight is waning. I have run the gamut with all degrees of Neutral Density Filters and Circular Polarizing Lenses and have found that nothing is as effective as a scrim. A scrim is a device that when placed over the subject will block out the harsh sunlight and create a better environment for shooting the way you enjoy shooting. For a clear explanation of a scrim, you can look it up on Google and that will be helpful. One added bonus with a scrim is that you will not have to worry about a lens hood, unless of course the sun is at a 90 degree angle behind you peeking over your shoulders. Again, a very nice photograph and thanks for sharing.

Tony
08-28-2017, 02:43 AM   #1177
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
. . . I have discovered in all my time in photography that harsh sunlight is never ideal. I usually wait until just before dusk when sunlight is waning. . . . have found that nothing is as effective as a scrim. A scrim is a device that when placed over the subject will block out the harsh sunlight and create a better environment for shooting the way you enjoy shooting. For a clear explanation of a scrim, you can look it up on Google and that will be helpful. One added bonus with a scrim is that you will not have to worry about a lens hood, unless of course the sun is at a 90 degree angle behind you peeking over your shoulders. Again, a very nice photograph and thanks for sharing.

Tony
tony

I am an amateur and trying to be a learner

so thanks for the info. I did ask for input:

" anything you folks like? "

I shoot with the minimum of gear and take things as I find them for the most part. over the past few months I have figured out how to work a basic pp program. Although I usually don't like pp except for crop, I have discovered how it can "rescue" or add to my efforts. the darn thing is addictive

I usually don't have the opportunity to choose the exact time of my visits to my favorite spot to take photographs which is my local zoo. In fact, since I live in Kansas, I don't have access to its grounds until well after Sunrise and well before Sunset; so your advice as to how to take such photos in harsh light is very welcome.

Not using a tripod means I only have two hands and I'm not very talented in holding the camera, focusing the camera and trying to take (originally) the right composed shot, I tend not to be able to hold any thing else in my hands.

I use a lens hood when I can but the model of the 100 macro I have has an internal one and some times it is retracted so it doesn't shade the lens. I don't know of any accessory lens hood that would fit it, do you?

I really enjoy your photos and those taken by those with more experience and expertise.

once again thanks

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-28-2017 at 03:28 AM.
08-28-2017, 05:25 AM   #1178
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

During the film era we called the hour just after sunrise and just before sunset the "sweet light." There's more of it in the winter because the sun is lower and lingers just above the horizon longer. General rules also from the film era: contrasty light for B&W; soft diffused light for color (in harsh sun, seek the "open shade"); and for people, B&W or color, softer light is usually better (men's faces can accept harsher lighting); expose B&W to retain shadow detail, expose color to retain highlight detail. Pop-open diffusion panels which fold with a twist to 1/3 of their open dimension, available in many sizes, have always been a standard tool for midday flower photography. Import to remember: bring the panel as close as possible to the subject = position it just outside of your framing. I have a couple of 12 inch panels one of which has developed some stains. HOWEVER, with digital and PP, you can sometimes pull up details from the shadows of high-contrast color images, pictures that might have been throw-aways if taken on reversal color film.
08-29-2017, 11:41 AM   #1179
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Patterns & Textures of Newman the Dog
(and notice how hard at work he is!)

K10D, its flip-up flash, SMC Pentax-F 35-105mm

Last edited by goatsNdonkey; 08-29-2017 at 05:56 PM.
08-29-2017, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #1180
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
tony

I am an amateur and trying to be a learner

so thanks for the info. I did ask for input:

" anything you folks like? "

I shoot with the minimum of gear and take things as I find them for the most part. over the past few months I have figured out how to work a basic pp program. Although I usually don't like pp except for crop, I have discovered how it can "rescue" or add to my efforts. the darn thing is addictive

I usually don't have the opportunity to choose the exact time of my visits to my favorite spot to take photographs which is my local zoo. In fact, since I live in Kansas, I don't have access to its grounds until well after Sunrise and well before Sunset; so your advice as to how to take such photos in harsh light is very welcome.

Not using a tripod means I only have two hands and I'm not very talented in holding the camera, focusing the camera and trying to take (originally) the right composed shot, I tend not to be able to hold any thing else in my hands.

I use a lens hood when I can but the model of the 100 macro I have has an internal one and some times it is retracted so it doesn't shade the lens. I don't know of any accessory lens hood that would fit it, do you?

I really enjoy your photos and those taken by those with more experience and expertise.

once again thanks
I am in the same camp, usually carry minimal gear and just have to catch as catch can. If I cannot find flowers in the shade, I will try to make shade with myself or the Wife. Or look for another angle for a back lit photo or maybe go for a more contrasty b & w image. Sometimes going in closer with the macro lens helps. There are a lot of ways to skin the cat and with digital it is so much easier to try a bunch of different things.

This one is cross posted somewhere else.

08-29-2017, 06:40 PM - 2 Likes   #1181
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Familiar patterns from the Western Interior.
Attached Images

08-30-2017, 06:40 AM - 2 Likes   #1182
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ribbed siding, vents, boards, & other fixtures -- the newer old grain elevator, near the old CB&Q RR depot, Lewistown, IL.
K10D + SMC Pentax-F 35-105mm
08-30-2017, 07:06 AM - 1 Like   #1183
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

K 3 + HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW

more photos showing details - texture, pattern, repetition, shape etc - of feathers of a mallard

cropped and pp
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
09-04-2017, 04:25 AM - 2 Likes   #1184
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

To be honest - sometimes

I have no idea what I did to get an image

or if I did anything

for example -

any thoughts ???
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
09-04-2017, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #1185
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Reflections of sunlight on water are about an unpredictable as things can get, but you certainly captured an interesting pattern with that image.

One wet and one dry pattern/texture. Color has been exaggerated on the trees to bring them out more against the shadows.
Attached Images

Last edited by WPRESTO; 09-05-2017 at 06:49 PM.