Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2021, 03:17 AM   #1351
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
The child in the foreground is straightforward, but the background figure protecting him is enigmatic.
Nice, kind sculpture. A person or a deity protects a child from evil. Good performance and content.

07-01-2021, 04:59 AM   #1352
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Quote
Nice, kind sculpture. A person or a deity protects a child from evil. Good performance and content.
The big background figure definitely looks benevolent and protective and seems to be shouldering a mass of nasty demons, snakes or other creatures that would be dangerous to a naked child. I just wonder who or what that protective being is, if it represents anyone or anything in particular. With modern sculptors there's no certainty that a well-delineated person or thing is intended to represent something very specific.
07-02-2021, 02:45 AM   #1353
Veteran Member

The big background figure definitely looks benevolent and protective and seems to be shouldering a mass of nasty demons, snakes or other creatures that would be dangerous to a naked child. I just wonder who or what that protective being is, if it represents anyone or anything in particular. With modern sculptors there's no certainty that a well-delineated person or thing is intended to represent something very specific.
I still think it's not that important. This is the image of the protector, and it is understandable. But if you nevertheless develop the topic, then in modern realities it can be dangerous to portray a sexual identity or a religious component, so that later there would be no trouble. Or maybe the sculpture was created in some context. Legend, fairy tale ... And yet I think it doesn't matter. Thanks for the photo, I was pleased to see.
07-02-2021, 10:22 AM   #1354
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A few from a visit to Everard Read Art Gallery

07-02-2021, 10:32 AM - 1 Like   #1355
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A few from one of the holiest houses of sculptures. K3 + DA 70mm Limited.

07-02-2021, 01:03 PM - 2 Likes   #1356
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe he just needs an aspirin.
Then again, maybe he counted his fingers and thinks he's just a Disney character.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DC-G9  Photo 
07-03-2021, 10:42 PM   #1357

Roman women condemning to death a gladiator who under-performed. X-posted, which I don't normally like to do, but I rather like this statue. I found it both unusual and evocative.
Like this very much. Where is this sculpture located?

07-04-2021, 02:05 AM   #1358
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

07-04-2021, 03:38 AM   #1359
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
A few from a visit to Everard Read Art Gallery
I live the top one Noel.
Expresses the thrill of the chase.
(I don't know if the predator feels the thrill - probably too focused on dinner - but always thrilling to watch.)
07-04-2021, 04:16 AM   #1360
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BOWEN Quote
Like this very much. Where is this sculpture located?
I forget the name off the top of my head (privilege of age) as it was taken several years back. I'll get back to you with it.

FOLLOW-UP: As I thought I remembered correctly, but did not want to post misinformation, the statue is in the Wadsworth Atheneum, Hartford CT
The image below is the original OOC. Since I posted the image on this thread I suffered a major external hard-drive failure. I lost about 7000~8000 image files completely and also lost the PP work done on many more, including this image file. You can see that the background detracts considerably from the statue.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-M10MarkII  Photo 

Last edited by WPRESTO; 07-04-2021 at 04:55 AM.
07-04-2021, 04:18 AM   #1361
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you! Unknown entities really. Who knows what a leopard/Cheetah thinks about on the hunt.

07-04-2021, 04:21 AM   #1362
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ruth Gleaning. In the Biblical account, after Ruth was widowed she went into the wheat fields after harvest to glean what was left to feed both herself and her widowed mother. As I have observed before, so many sculptures of women leave one or both breasts exposed. Is it necessary here? I think not.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DC-G9  Photo 
07-05-2021, 07:54 PM   #1363

I forget the name off the top of my head (privilege of age) as it was taken several years back. I'll get back to you with it.

FOLLOW-UP: As I thought I remembered correctly, but did not want to post misinformation, the statue is in the Wadsworth Atheneum, Hartford CT
The image below is the original OOC. Since I posted the image on this thread I suffered a major external hard-drive failure. I lost about 7000~8000 image files completely and also lost the PP work done on many more, including this image file. You can see that the background detracts considerably from the statue.
I see. Thanks for providing that information.
The background does detract somewhat, but the lighting on the statues really does foreground them, so I don't think it is too bad, and the background gives them a context, which is fine from my point of view.
07-06-2021, 05:32 AM - 1 Like   #1364
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

07-06-2021, 06:49 AM   #1365
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Recently I went back to about page 50 on this thread and reviewed all the images up to this page. It was really interesting to see the variety of statuary that's been posted.

A decorated dinosaur.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DC-G9  Photo