Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FA 20-35

[url=
07-17-2018, 05:11 PM   #723
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I went back into the files form our tour of Italy, so here come a few classic statues.

Perseus with the Head of Medusa,
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
07-17-2018, 05:26 PM   #724
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am running low on images, time for another trip to the sculpture park.

07-17-2018, 06:34 PM   #725
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Rape of the Sabine Women
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
07-17-2018, 06:54 PM   #726
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Random letter guy.

07-18-2018, 01:44 AM   #727
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Impala in the sunroom

07-18-2018, 02:54 AM   #728
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
Impala in the sunroom
I didn't know you had a sunroom. It looks a bit smaller but far more elegant than ours.
07-18-2018, 02:56 AM   #729
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Continuing animal statues, a dog and her feisty puppy.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
07-18-2018, 04:15 AM   #730
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I didn't know you had a sunroom. It looks a bit smaller but far more elegant than ours.
Well actually it may just be a bay window, but went for sunroom, as it was a but too large for a bay window. And of course it is not mine- at an art gallery in Port Elizabeth. If it was mine, there'd be no Impala- it would be on the Braai/Barbeque . Impala meat is quite tasty!

---------- Post added 07-18-18 at 04:17 AM ----------

Keeping it animal
07-18-2018, 04:37 AM   #731
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
Well actually it may just be a bay window, but went for sunroom, as it was a but too large for a bay window. And of course it is not mine- at an art gallery in Port Elizabeth. If it was mine, there'd be no Impala- it would be on the Braai/Barbeque . Impala meat is quite tasty!
Do you know of a somewhat famous restaurant called "The Carnivore?" Had a meal there. Apparently when it opened, you could get meat from just about any African animal, but especially the mammals, that a Great White Hunter could get into his( her) sights. After Kenya banned "game meat" in 2004, the restaurant went to any/all domestic sources of protein. Curiously, among the animals originally available at The Carnivore were ostrich and crocodile. Here in the USA, ostrich are raised for meat, and alligator meat is readily available at many restaurants in the southeast. I had a meal of alligator tail meat for the novelty of it. It's like very mild, flaky white fish. Served with a bottomless supply of southern-style buttermilk biscuits, a real treat, which also means they are not good for you.
07-18-2018, 04:39 AM   #732
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I posted a different image of this famous modern sculpture years ago. The artist called it simply "Hands," but I think everyone who looks at it immediately sees a deep message.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
07-18-2018, 04:49 AM   #733
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, I know of the Carnivore in Kenya. And it has been copied here in South Africa, and in fact I passed it on Saturday when I went to a wedding. Apparently, the South African versions is very much like the one in Kenya, (complete with the swords) though I have been told there are a bit more different meats on the menu. A rather interesting irony of life in SA- much fuss made recently about a Giraffe (and a Rhino) that was going to be the main course at a Barbeque. But at the Carnivore, no such fuss!
On my side I've had Kudu, Buffalo, Impala, Springbok, Elephant and Eland(in Biltong form for the elephant and Eland) and Ostrich, which is readily available in local supermarkets. The talk is that is has less cholesterol than other red meats. Buffalo still ranks as best for me, maybe because I had it on my honeymoon!
07-18-2018, 04:59 AM   #734
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Buffalo (= Bison) is commonly available in local supermarkets but only in ground form (= "hamburger"). It has a reputation for being leaner and therefore healthier that regular beef. There was a buffalo-bison "ranch" nearby for perhaps a decade, selling meat locally and also having a restaurant (and a mini-golf course), but it couldn't turn an adequate profit, so it closed. Building was unused for several years, but recently a new restaurant has opened there. I'm skeptical. There's a lot of competition, and the location is less than ideal. Unless they offer something very special, I doubt the enterprise will last three years.

Most unusual meat for me = rattlesnake - highly recommended. Most unusual source of protein = fried earthworms. NOT recommended
07-18-2018, 05:17 AM   #735
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you but no thanks to Rattlesnakes! And the same for earthworms. I do draw the line somewhere, though I've had Mopani worms once or twice. Also considered a rich source of protein. They are harvested by the thousands every year.