Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2010, 08:01 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Winner PP Challenge #35

Again, thanks all for bailing me out this week. Given the short notice, I am surprised and appreciative of the turn out.

Here is my original for sake of comparison:

The think that was common among all attempts, it seems, was clearly that we are "thinking out of the box." And some of you gave me some ideas about how to approach this subject better.

Honorable mention: jax_zee - really cool, and very well done. I'd love to see this in color. Probably too hard. What I am most impressed with perhaps in this construction is the creation of some really very authentic looking shadows which hide that it is in fact a mirror image. In particular the shadow climbing the spire on the left side of the mirror... Mad skills... nicely done.

Third: mithrandir
- The most realistic of the bunch, and informative in the very least as to how I might frame this. I like laying down on its side and some of the subtle work you did straightening it, etc. You've given me some ideas here... I might orient it correctly for my purposes, but your rendition is interesting.

Second: casil403
- Hard choice. In the end, I am not the abstract type, so it just slightly misses for me. But you went big, and I ** do ** like it despite my proclivities. The tilt works here.

First: Ash - Another tilt... but it works. This appeals to the side of me that on the one hand likes to see a solid basis in reality, while not minding a bit of interest interjected. I would never attempt this because I could NEVER do it well. You've done it well. It's actually pretty convincing. Nice job, it looks great.

Actually, this was hard to judge. All we good take on this and some I really really like:

Mark - bbluesman - I cannot believe the level of detail you got out of the sky. I need to revisit the final "pink sky" version from the other side and see if I can get this kind of detail out of that sky. There is a little bit of the mottled look to it, so I'll bet the detail is there.

Miguel - cool effect.

Nico - very dark, but you isolated the exact thing that interested me in this shot to begin with. I think you might have been seeing that. Your skill is only limited here by my crappy photo... heh.

ozlizard - Orton effect? Nice. Will have to play with that a little. I like it.

jmschrei - this points out how the thing that was interesting but which might flal a little flat - as it did in my photo - might be mitigated. Very skillfully done.

erkie - good idea, interesting use of color. The thing that strikes me here is that the crop, especially on the left side and bottom is very well done. This is in fact how I will try to frame it when I go back. Well seen I think.

Thanks again everybody! Nice work. Rather a humbling experience having all of this talent directed at one of your photographs. I learned a lot here, and am grateful for your participation!

11-15-2010, 08:40 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I didn't participate in this contest because I couldn't come up with anything I liked. I love architecture, have done very little architectural photography, and have a lot to learn. I thoroughly enjoyed everyone's approaches to this PP challenge and learned a lot about this kind of shooting as well as the PP to make them stand out. Congrats to Ash, Lisa, Rob, and jax_zee for HM.
11-15-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
Forum Member

Congratulations to the winners of this comp, very impressive and creative ideas throughout. I found it a good challenge on a dreary, raining November day.
11-15-2010, 10:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Well done Ash and all the runners up and participants and thanks to woof for another great challenge. Bring it on Ash!

11-15-2010, 10:47 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Again, thanks all for bailing me out this week. Given the short notice, I am surprised and appreciative of the turn out.

Mark - bbluesman - I cannot believe the level of detail you got out of the sky. I need to revisit the final "pink sky" version from the other side and see if I can get this kind of detail out of that sky. There is a little bit of the mottled look to it, so I'll bet the detail is there.
Thanks-tonal contrast is my shampoo of choice... Congrats to winners and good job judging. Will up my game for next one
11-16-2010, 01:08 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Nico - very dark... Your skill is only limited here by my crappy photo... heh.
!
Your photo is fine. Image gets really dark after I upload them. It happens everytime for me. Any suggestions??

Congrats everyone!!
11-16-2010, 12:09 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bbluesman Quote
Thanks-tonal contrast is my shampoo of choice... Congrats to winners and good job judging. Will up my game for next one
Mark, you know now that notwithstanding your finish here, I am now taking pages from your playbook... "pimpin' your hacks" as you put it... heh... It works wonders on these kinds of skies...

11-16-2010, 12:13 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nico Quote
Your photo is fine. Image gets really dark after I upload them. It happens everytime for me. Any suggestions??
If this is not intentional, look at calibrating your monitor... I am sure folks will have suggestions but a good start can be had here...

Monitor calibration and gamma

I use the Quickgamma software that can be had here for free to calibrate gamma. QuickGamma

Anyone have any additions?

woof!
11-16-2010, 01:07 PM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks to woof and all who participated. Next challenge will be up shortly.
11-16-2010, 04:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I really liked seeing the different ideas eceryone had. Congratulations to the winners! Ash, I really liked the introduction of the flare. It really added to the shot for me.

Eric
11-16-2010, 09:09 PM   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks mate.
It was fun.
Now have a look at the next challenge: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/12286...enge-36-a.html
11-17-2010, 06:34 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Wow..thanks for #2 woof! And many congrats Ash . Rob, and Jax_zee.
11-18-2010, 05:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Good work Ash. That was a real "thinker" project.
11-18-2010, 06:35 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
Good work Ash. That was a real "thinker" project.
I've been struggling a little with architecture this month. I wanted to see what people would do with this. It was intended to be a bit of a thinker. I am glad to see that it hit the mark.

Thanks to all who participated. I took a lot away from this.