Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2010, 03:10 PM   #136
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I'm happy we started on 14 so we (most of us) will finish on 25th. I'm at work on 26th as we start big sale.... joys of retail
My mother worked retail from the time I was 6 until I was 12 or 13 when she got her builder's license (yes, Mom was a licensed contractor) and HATED Christmas because of it. She could enjoy the day but was stuck up until 6pm Dec 24 for all the last minute shoppers. Then right back at it on the 26th. Might not have been so bad for the people working the stock rooms or ringing up the purchases but she was a manager at the catalog show room where she worked. Somehow, come Dec 26, all the stuff that people broke was Her fault. The final straw was when some bitch hit her in the face with the butt of a Red Ryder BB gun because she wouldn't take back something her brat shit kid had clearly broken. I hope the little bastard shot his eye out before he broke it . Dec 1 1978 she passed the test to get her license and flipped the entire crowd of Christmas shoppers the bird (and it wasn't in a pear tree, I can assure you of that ).

12-15-2010, 03:15 PM   #137
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
My mother worked retail from the time I was 6 until I was 12 or 13 when she got her builder's license (yes, Mom was a licensed contractor) and HATED Christmas because of it. She could enjoy the day but was stuck up until 6pm Dec 24 for all the last minute shoppers. Then right back at it on the 26th. Might not have been so bad for the people working the stock rooms or ringing up the purchases but she was a manager at the catalog show room where she worked. Somehow, come Dec 26, all the stuff that people broke was Her fault. The final straw was when some bitch hit her in the face with the butt of a Red Ryder BB gun because she wouldn't take back something her brat shit kid had clearly broken. I hope the little bastard shot his eye out before he broke it . Dec 1 1978 she passed the test to get her license and flipped the entire crowd of Christmas shoppers the bird (and it wasn't in a pear tree, I can assure you of that ).

I can completely identify, my last position at a big CE retailer I worked form december 8-31with only christmas day off, usually 12 hours a day more boxing week. Christmas eve we stayed behind to set up for boxing day and unload 2-3 trailers to the floor i'd get home around 11 usually, boxing day I was back at 4 am, and usually left at 11 pm after counting money for 2 hours and trying to make it balance - not likely given the sums and volume but needed to be within at least $100 (less than 1% of the cash volume)
now i rarely go into a retail store, ans after 5 years away finally enjoy christmas again
12-15-2010, 03:17 PM   #138
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't know whether I will finish this one. No inspiration at all, so probably I'll drop out early...
12-15-2010, 03:22 PM   #139
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Don't know whether I will finish this one. No inspiration at all, so probably I'll drop out early...
No!! Don't do that! Please? Pretty please?
You can't be missed! Take pictures of yourself, of the newspaper, of your colleague, whatever. Candle's in shops, nice macro's of Christmas balls.

12-15-2010, 03:29 PM   #140
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Of course I can be missed
12-15-2010, 03:32 PM   #141
Veteran Member

Of course I can be missed
No, you can't!
12-15-2010, 03:51 PM   #142
axl
Inactive Account

come on Rense! Even if it will be 12pics of your Xmas tree decor.. hang on man!

12-15-2010, 03:56 PM   #143

Photos: Albums
come on Rense! Even if it will be 12pics of your Xmas tree decor.. hang on man!
Exactly!!
12-15-2010, 03:56 PM   #144
axl
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
My mother worked retail from the time I was 6 until I was 12 or 13 when she got her builder's license (yes, Mom was a licensed contractor) and HATED Christmas because of it. She could enjoy the day but was stuck up until 6pm Dec 24 for all the last minute shoppers. Then right back at it on the 26th. Might not have been so bad for the people working the stock rooms or ringing up the purchases but she was a manager ....snip...
Exactly what I'm talking about. I'm a manager in a shoe store... People know we'll have sale shortly so they are trying their luck. After 26th I'll have a bunch of people coming in trying to return/rebuy their boots/shoes so they can save few .
I actually celebrate on 24th. Of course instead of having dinner with mrs I'll be overseeing sale prep at store... and on 26th early opening... simply B-E-A-utiful. Oh well, I guess I can't complain though.. considering I came to London in 2005 with no retail experience whatsoever I should be glad where I am Maybe few more thing and I'll be running things from the office (you know 9am-5pm job, bank holidays off, weekends off and nice bonus to it..... do I hear Annie Lenox singing "sweat dreams...."? )
Anyway, I'll try my best to complete this challenge... hey it's only 12 shots! hang on, now only 10
12-15-2010, 04:40 PM   #145
Inactive Account

Exactly what I'm talking about. I'm a manager in a shoe store... People know we'll have sale shortly so they are trying their luck. After 26th I'll have a bunch of people coming in trying to return/rebuy their boots/shoes so they can save few .
I actually celebrate on 24th. Of course instead of having dinner with mrs I'll be overseeing sale prep at store... and on 26th early opening... simply B-E-A-utiful. Oh well, I guess I can't complain though.. considering I came to London in 2005 with no retail experience whatsoever I should be glad where I am Maybe few more thing and I'll be running things from the office (you know 9am-5pm job, bank holidays off, weekends off and nice bonus to it..... do I hear Annie Lenox singing "sweat dreams...."? )
Anyway, I'll try my best to complete this challenge... hey it's only 12 shots! hang on, now only 10
I don't know about London but here, and especially in This area, the worse part about that would be that you just KNOW, they've worn the shoes/boots/dresses/suits that they are trying to return. I guess it's not always that great for the customers either. Especially when that $1200 credit card bill comes (to pay Santa) and they realize that Junior has destroyed everything they must now Pay for. A case of what goes around comes around? Sometimes, I think so.

Unless they REALLY love people and crazy crowds (which I don't), I feel for anyone dealing with these folks this time of year. Hope you all make it through with your sanity in tact. I don't 'shop' much but when I do, I TRY to remember that these people are just doing their jobs as best as they can and some patience goes a Long way. Be it the 7-11, the local choke and puke, the mom and pop shop, or the big box stores.

12-15-2010, 07:22 PM   #146

This is an awesome challenge. The pics are amazing and everyone has captured such creative shots. Can't wait each night to see the new ones.
12-15-2010, 07:45 PM   #147
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey, it's Christmas!

Show us some Dutch kids ice skating, show us a snowman with a carrot nose, or just show us some of your creative genius.

We know you've got it in you.

Merry Christmas from Jack, whatever you chose to do
12-15-2010, 07:48 PM   #148
Veteran Member

So a day late with posting the shots, but I did take them on time. So far a bit uninspired as well (as Rense said), but hopefully I'll be able to pick up the pace once we actually start preparing all the delicious dishes for Christmas Eve supper. Now I'm off to check what everyone created!

P.S. Worry you not, I'm still working on the SiN book.
12-16-2010, 03:15 AM   #149

Day 3 up! This is way fun

How do y'all get the exif data to post with the photo?!
12-16-2010, 04:07 AM   #150
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hambino Quote
Day 3 up! This is way fun

How do y'all get the exif data to post with the photo?!
Lauren, the exif is stripped by the forum software in the resize process. So, to keep it, be sure to keep the photo within the given limits, pixel and storage space wise....