Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2010, 10:24 AM   #196
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Voytech Quote
Due to popular demand, I will share with you all the technique of creating your own shaped bokeh.

This is simpler than you think, but requires some handy work. So you start off with a piece of construction paper (it has to be completely opaque and helps if it's rigid). It can't be too thick though. I used a piece of a gift bag from Sephora (it was black and seemed alright for the job). Now, take the lens of your choice and set it down on the paper. Trace a square slightly larger than the diameter of the lens. You don't need to be exact here. The extra paper is there so you can hold it well. Then in the center of your square you will need to cut out a shape that you want your bokeh to be. You'll need a pretty sharp blade for that. WATCH OUT FOR YOUR FINGERS!!! I am not responsible for any blood loss! Anyway, the size of the cutout does matter. You want to make it around 10-15mm in diameter. You may have to test it out and do a few versions, but 1cm is a good starting point. Now all that is left is to take the paper and put it against the lens. You want to press it to the lens a bit, as not to allow stray light to come in from the sides. You will also need to center your cutout for best results, but the good part is that the effect is instant and you see it in the viewfinder. That is it my friends! Go experiment!
Very cool....I have seen plastic versions of these at the camera stores going for a whack of cash! Thanks for this Voytech!

12-20-2010, 01:57 PM   #197
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks Voytech for sharing your techniques. Will definitely try it out-for Christmas 2011.
Adding day 6 and 7.
12-20-2010, 08:51 PM   #198
Veteran Member

Just wanted to echo what a few others have already stated.
Marvelous captures from around the globe.
A real visual Christmas present to my eyes.
Keep them coming.
12-20-2010, 09:47 PM   #199
Veteran Member

We made some sugar cookies for the tree (as decorations ) but you're all welcome to have some!

12-21-2010, 03:56 AM   #200
Inactive Account

Thanks for the info Voytech...been playing with some cutouts, but needs more work! Send me some of the starry shaped jobbies...they look scrumptiooouuss!

Still trying to get through everyone's albums...apologies to those not yet visited. What a treat for Christmas it is!

Not so much the pickies themselves (excellent stuff), but the stories behind them, what each one means to us, and why we've chosen to share them at Christmas!

I'm honoured to be among you all!

Cheers Paddy
12-21-2010, 04:21 AM   #201
Veteran Member

Interesting to read how you did that, Voytech.
Please send over some cookies.
12-21-2010, 04:58 AM   #202

Photos: Albums
day 7 and 8 are up! Feel free to ignore day 7 lol

Hope all is well for everyone!

12-22-2010, 06:10 AM   #203
axl
Inactive Account

Thanks Voytech. Much appreciated.

In mean time, I keep shooting every day but rarely have the time to upload. Just bear with me folks, I'll upload them soon-ish
12-22-2010, 06:28 AM   #204
Veteran Member

Same story here. No time to upload. I'm still working on the SiN book so that's eating whatever computer time I have (and it's not much since we are in full on Christmas prep mode).
12-22-2010, 12:53 PM   #205
Pentaxian

bummed i had to drop out of this challenge. too much work and moving into a new house and throwing a christmas party. it was fun while it lasted, though... really neat seeing everybodys little corner of the world this time of year. awesome idea, stillshunter!
12-22-2010, 01:05 PM   #206
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Great idea mate - missed this one also, but just for fun...

12-22-2010, 01:45 PM   #207
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
bummed i had to drop out of this challenge. too much work and moving into a new house and throwing a christmas party. it was fun while it lasted, though... really neat seeing everybodys little corner of the world this time of year. awesome idea, stillshunter!
Thanks mate. My pleasure....well actually it is! It has been a pleasure to view the lead-up to Xmas from around the globe. A shame you have to depart my friend, but Life is like that and of course we all understand and appreciate every photo you posted during the first week or so. Anyway, there will be other Christmases and other challenges I'm sure.

Meanwhile, for those remaining please keep them coming if you can. I've gotten my 10th day shot early (about 7:00am) and I'm definitely sticking with it. We've had our our gift and it's straight out of a nativity scene. A new calf born last night.... I'll upload soon enough.

Edging ever closer to the 12th day.

Stills
12-22-2010, 02:02 PM   #208
Veteran Member

I'm joining the "Bubbly Bokeh Club" tonight! Just waiting for the sun to go down.
12-22-2010, 02:08 PM   #209
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by casil403 Quote
I'm joining the "Bubbly Bokeh Club" tonight! Just waiting for the sun to go down.
Hooray!!!!

Had to bit of a struggle today. The weather sucks, a bit of snow that already melted and when I went outside to take a picture of something it started to rain. Took it anyway, but it looked like crap on the computer. So I combined my 1 Year of Pixar with this challenge, used my external flash, that shot looked like crap too, but after heavy editing and adding a frame I felt it was enough and that had to be the one for today.

I really have to start using my flash or I'll never learn how the deal with that.

4 Days to go.
12-23-2010, 02:00 AM   #210
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Adding day 8 and 9 in a moment. hopefully get some more for day 10 and 11 later today.